Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Aquifers: A Guide on How to Dig Through an Aquifer of Indefinite Levels  (Read 125507 times)

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aquifers: A Guide on How to Dig Through an Aquifer of Indefinite Levels
« Reply #90 on: March 05, 2013, 11:46:18 am »

Seeing as how this thread has been necro'd again (and not by me this time), I might as well clarify that my earlier problem with the 2-slit method was probably due to some newbie mistake I was making at the time.  I have since used the method without any problems.  (Although i still prefer the mechanical-powered method because more power and more moving parts = more manly.)

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 14, 2013, 08:10:39 am »

When piercing aquifers in stone (as opposed to soil) just smoothing the stones is easy (with much less cancellations than removing the tile and filling it with a wall). But the aquifer stone will start producing water again when you want to remove it - removing in two steps by 1st channeling down, 2nd removing ramps works without making the tile water producing again. No issue for experienced players, but I had some trouble because I designated the remaining inside smoothed walls for digging and then I suddenly had water again all over the place (it was my first aquifer breach without ever looking up anything at all).

Can you engrave smoothed aquifer stone without danger? Or will it result in flooding?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 01:27:35 pm by taptap »

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 21, 2014, 12:14:03 pm »

Quite a necro here, but I wanted to add one thing.

The wiki guide should probably be updated to say that you can smooth stone layers, instead of mining then building walls.  Since smoothing is a designation, even if it gets cancelled it will immediately get un-cancelled again. Construction on the other hand requires manually un-suspending.

Aside from that minor nitpick, I think this method is great. I pierced through a 4 z layer aquifer with it on my second try.

Immacolata

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 20, 2016, 01:59:54 am »

Sorry for the 3 year plus necro,  but playing DF 43.03 I am experiencing Aquifers different than what the guide says

Layer 0: Pump and down stairways
Layer 1: Aquifer up/down stairway
Layer 2: Aquifer up/down stairway

I am in a multi-layer aquifer, and I have made sure my top level is dug out correctly and have a pump placed.
I can get so far as dig out a Up/Down stairway on both Aquifer level and aquifer level 2. However, when I disassemble the pump on layer 0, the aquifer on layer 1 does not at all drain into layer 2. It just fills up to 7/7 and that is the end of that :(

As I understood the guide, aquifer water from layer 1 would drain down to aquifer layer 2 and be absorbed. This doesn't seem to happen.

I am doing it wrong or aquifers behave different since 2011?

Answer: I dig into a non-aquifer and do not realize that it is indeed a normal dirt/stone layer before the rock turns damp.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 05:10:59 am by Immacolata »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]