Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: My adventurer's descent into the depths (SPOILERS)  (Read 28504 times)

Cocoprimate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My adventurer's descent into the depths (SPOILERS)
« on: March 08, 2011, 11:41:04 pm »

It's a very long read. However, I think this is a very cool story, and is proof of the possibilities this game offers. So if you have some time, give it a try.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So I have this adventurer, a dwarf swordsman, called Aban Diamondtowns. He's a legend.

He has killed, by himself, all of the megabeasts in his world. This includes around 7 dragons, 3 hydras, 5 bronze colossi, and so on. Regrettably, there's one dragon he can't kill, one that went zombie. When they meet (twice so far) when Aban slices its head, the dragon just vanishes, and the kill is not counted and it eventually re appears. Aban considers this dragon his personal nemesis.

He has racked up more than a thousand notable kills, including the elf druid, princess and king, whose heads he keeps in the lair he adopted and redecorated for himself. Which, it should be mentioned, is filled with barrels of booze and dragon meat and offal.

Eventually, I got bored of kicking ass with Aban. It was too easy because he was nigh-invincible, and he already had achieved all the glory he possibly could.

So I retired him in a peaceful hamlet, and started making forts around in the same world. In one of them, Aban was so revered, that an artifact silver short sword, called Othorvush "The Erased Heat", was made in his honor. It's not too fancy, just a silver short sword with an image of Aban Diamondtown the Charms of Society on it. I at least think the name is fitting, due to his habit of killing dragons, "erasing their heat" so to speak. Still, he doesn't use it, because it's made of silver, and silver swords suck.

But in another fort, while searching for the blue metal, the dwarves found a curious underground structure. "What can I do with this?" I wondered. I could have invaded the demonic fortress with the militia, but they were too weak and wouldn't last long.

And then it struck me. There was only one being worthy enough of claiming the legendary adamantine weapon that rested in the deep. Only one so powerful as to challenge the hordes of the netherworld in single combat, and actually stand a chance. Only one had achieved so much, that the only path to further glory, laid in dying a glorious, heroic death, while battling the forces of Hell in solitude. So I had my dwarves build a stairway to the first level of the Fortress, abandoned it, and visited the site with Aban.

Aban, his trusty +adamantine short sword+ at the ready, entered the domain of the unholy with caution. There wasn't much on the first three levels of the Fortress, just some random zombified critters that fell with no effort on his side.

Finally, he then reached the upright adamantine sword. It stood there, silently, hundreds or even thousands of feet deep, in all its majestic beauty, emitting a faint blueish glow. The greed that ran through his dwarven veins overcame Aban, and he reached for it, claiming it, and at the same opening a portal to Hell itself. Of course, he laughed manically and began his descent again.

What followed was level after level of Aban fighting varied demons, and pretty much slaughtering them with his new masterwork weapon. After a while I learned which demons were weak (snow demons), which were dangerous, and which were very dangerous (damn you three-eyed monsters...). Aban passed through many levels. Some were plain, others took the form of labyrinthine corridors, others (the worst) consisted of just thin strips of floating floor, where, had Aban dodged to the side in battle, he would have fallen to his death.

Eventually, after what I think were about 40 z levels of descent if you started counting from the upright weapon, and after leaving about a hundred dead demons in his wake, Aban started to feel the effects of battle. One of his shoulders was badly damaged, and he was tired and had lost a lot of blood. A thought then crossed his mind. "I can't perish here. Who is going to kill all the elves! and the kobolds!". And so, he mustered resolve for what seemed impossible. He would return to the surface, even if it mean facing a hundred more demons in the 40 z level climb to the top of the Fortress.

About twenty levels in, I reached on of those levels where you have no space to dodge, and it was crawling with demons. I was pretty sure this was the end for Aban, as he would surely dodge or be knocked down into the abyss. I was ok with it, it was the best death he could possibly have. But then, I received some extremely unexpected assistance, from extremely unexpected beings.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yes, your eyes are fine. Those are pigeons, deep in Hell, battling demons. One on one.

As you can see in the above picture, the Eagles, no doubt inspired by the tremendous courage of their tiny pigeon brethren, decided to join the carnage. And though all of the birds involved in the fighting died, they fought bravely and well, and many a demon met its end at their claws, harassed into falling down the abyss by the flying heroes. They succesfully held back the demon horde for a crucial moment, allowing Aban Diamondtowns, now forever humbled by their sacrifice, to leave that dangerous z level and escape to the surface.

That's one of the top levels. By then, Aban was safe. Still, the lone pidgeon stood guard, prepared to die in glorious, hopeless combat.

That's Aban killing some random demon.

That's the total demon kill count of Aban's adventure in hell. It's the sword that opened the portal too.

Suffice to say, the first thing Aban did once he reached his hideout, was build a small shrine in honor of the fallen birds. To do this, he devoted one of the masterwork bronze statues the colossi give you when they die, and he put below the bones of a fallen pigeon, as well as a severed head of every demon race he encountered in the deep. He prays there daily, and likes to think that the world, aware of how much Aban had given, had sent him assistance when he most needed it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, is this game awesome or what?

The story of Aban Diamondtowns the Charms of Society, dwarf legend, and his descent into the depths. (SPOILER)
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=79229.0

cikulisu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My adventurer's descent into the depths (SPOILERS)
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 03:36:07 am »

heropigeons

rarborman

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Dungonmaster
    • View Profile
    • dice
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 04:07:26 am »

reminds me of my first walk into hell, birds must be bugged because I saw more of then down there then demons...
"But to that second circle of sad hell, Where ‘mid the gust, the whirlwind, and the flaw Of rain and hail-stones, lovers need not tell Their sorrows. Pale were the sweet lips I saw, Pale were the lips I kiss’d, and fair the form I floated with, about that melancholy storm."

Dora Feddy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 07:19:07 am »

Perhaps when random pits open to the surface the birds get sucked in while they are flying or nesting.

Also, awesome story.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 07:48:41 am »

Wow, those are some courageous birds. Just imagine flocks of tiny birds going down on terrible beings of hell to enrage them and throw off balance into pits...

The only explanation I have is that killing so many elves your dwarf learned their power to speak with nature, and called birds after him, maybe even without understanding it.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 08:39:29 am »

...Awesome!

Maybe you should submit this to DFStories.
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 10:20:25 am »

This is truly awesome. I'm glad I read it.

Greyejoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 11:15:10 am »

That was an epic read. I want to attempt this was some of my adventurers now.
If you had necromancy powers, this would be a pretty solid way to prank people.
A creepy old man runs up to you and suddenly the skin in your backpack tries to kill you? High Octane Nightmare Fuel much.

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 12:14:48 pm »

you survived? might have something to do with being THE most powerful being in your world and being an steel dwarf from genesis.
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

Cocoprimate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 05:04:48 pm »

you survived? might have something to do with being THE most powerful being in your world and being an steel dwarf from genesis.

Yep, steel dwarf. It doesn't really matter that much anyway.

What allowed the dwarf to survive was his stats, skills (legendary+several in fighter, dodger, misc. user, swordsdwarf, shield user, armor user, wrestler) and his equipment (full adamantine set, save for the shoulders which I never seem to get covered). This dwarf has soloed dragons, hydras, and even bronze colossi.

This is a non-issue anyway. During the trek in hell, after surviving several fights with demons in which the dwarf was outnumbered (at times even 10 to 1, during which he just kept dodging and blocking), some of the demons got in hits in the shoulders causing severe damage (spent a long time fearing nerve damage), and some even bypassed the armor in the legs and feet.

After that, most times I tried to hit a demon, instead of oneshotting them like at the beginning, it just cut them and torn muscle, causing non lethal damage. So the dwarf was most definitely going to die (because I couldn't kill them as effectively or as fast anymore), were it not for the birds that allowed me to escape without engaging any more demons. They held them off at the pits and allowed me to reach through the stairs and into demon free zones. I still bumped into some which were left over from the descent, but those coming from below couldn't follow fast enough, and so I got to escape, thanks to the feathered ones.
The story of Aban Diamondtowns the Charms of Society, dwarf legend, and his descent into the depths. (SPOILER)
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=79229.0

Veetor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2011, 08:56:18 pm »

Wow, that was a really epic and enjoyable read! It was really awesome! I still need to learn how to play Adventure mode right, so I can forge my own legends! I hope one day to have an adventure like this

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 05:25:57 pm »

This has already been said, but it can't be said enough.
AWESOME.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 05:36:56 pm »

Holy Shit, I hope to god a "Devil" boss is implemeted at the end.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 03:11:11 am »

Holy Shit, I hope to god a "Devil" boss is implemeted at the end.
That would be awesome. Maybe you could become superhumandwarven after killing him?
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 11:20:20 am »

This adventurer is made of Birdfeed. It is encircled with bands of Win. It menaces with spikes of Awesome.
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4