Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: My adventurer's descent into the depths (SPOILERS)  (Read 28690 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: My adventurer's descent into the depths (SPOILERS)
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2011, 11:58:00 am »

OOC: (How does one post pictures?)

Anyway BUMP for legendary sake.

Reminds me of my own expedition to the depths. Only with a sealable locked entryway, somehow my fortress miner's guild bypassed all cavern layers and landed on top of the
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
. I created a bridge and two-lever sealed entrance and abandoned, leaving a set of red steel armor and weapons for my adventurer to follow (Yes, Genesis mod. The only editing I did was change the epic deathly weapon's name into the Angelblade, it was a sword.). I'm impressed and very happy about this one so here goes mine in my own story. (Excuse my post here if you may.)
~~~~~

So here came my Sylvan elf, one of the last of his race as it was told in the legends. He called upon those brave or foolish enough to follow him on his daring quest, the Nordic tribes as well as the Keepers followed him making a party of 10 in all. Knowing his skill yet also his weaknesses - being that he was not as strong as the dwarves of legend (who were sadly wiped out.) he set foot in the mile long tunnel breaching the earth.

On his way he found tons and tons of cavern monsters (Gremlins, Crundles, Elk Birds, Rutherers...) and had to slay them all except for those birds. That could not be said about his allies, whittled down to a man from the savage horrors, who then bled to death by a tiny bite in the finger...  :'(

Alone,without anyone to high-five for the safe descent and too weary to head back to the surface he trudged on. Finally coming upon the air-tight room. Levers were pulled, gears were turned and the bridge dropped, letting only him in. For safety measures if he wouldn't make it out alive, he pulled the other lever, sealing him inside.

What was left to say was that he saw a fortress of pure black rock.
The denizens were not too happy to see him and came upon him in a torrent of vengeance.

Slow, lumbering vengeance...

Undead, too many years down there. Easy prey. Some floors down and he came upon the blade. Realizing his goal was at hand he pulled it from its pedestal, the floor gave way.

Curiosity overcame him and now with a new blade in hand he descended into the depths, or the deeper depths so to speak.

Nothing but floors of rotting undead.

Until he spotted a Black demon hiding behind a stairwell, it and only it saw him. It seemed easy being a one-on-one fight. One difference was just in size, both contestants were well muscled and ready to fight to the death.

The other was that the demon could breathe dust...  :-\

And freezing vapors.

And boiling steam...

(Thats Genesis for you.)

From the upper stairwell they fought, the elf retreating back to avoid the heavy clouds rising from the demon.

Running back to the upper levels with nary a scratch he remembered the tale of Aban Diamondtowns and his feats, where oh where were his allies?! Surely the forest must have heard his call! He was only talented in the sword and proficient in his defense, how crazy was he to come down and try to get what was not meant for the world to see?

Well, he was here and they were not. He had only one chance at this, he turned around and said:

"Cursed be ye foul demon, I carry the blade that sealed you here and I shall do so again!"

All that replied was laughter, mocking deep laughter. It echoed through the halls and filled his head. Dizzyness overcame him for a moment, a moment the demon used to boost himself using his dust towards the helpless elf all the while breathing his deathly mixture of heat and cold.

The only thing the elf could think of was blaspheming the demon, indicated by a universal gesture using his hand. It somehow worked and that was what caught the demon's attention. It made a grab for it using its wing and the elf swung his blade in return.

It missed its mark by a few inches, glancing off the scaled hide. A quick turn of the blade and it hit right into the abdomen, cutting the guts.

The demon realized its folly and brought out its inner rage, it couldn't die after being imprisoned down in this pit, sharing the same room and breathing space with others just like him. He wouldn't stand another second down here!

But it was too late, its rage blinded its attacks and the elf took the initiative to leap on its back, avoiding the clouds of death from its sacs and cut off its head in one fell swoop.

"Not a scratch...would you believe that."

He put the body and head into his wolf backpack and snuck away, unharmed and unhurt. Straining to carry his pack with him.

~~~~~

And in my honest opinion, you had a lot more fun than me mate, I only got one of them before needing a retreat. I saw too many down there, zebras with their skin turned out, banshees made of steam dripping venom, thornbill brutes and their deadly muscles...

There is always more, lucky I got one... With an elf  :D

Cocoprimate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2011, 08:51:03 pm »

OOC: (How does one post pictures?)
You upload the pic to a hosting website (say, photobucket), and place the resulting link inside "".

Anyways, thanks for sharing your descent story. It would be cool if other people who had adventurers descend to hell shared their stories here too.

Regarding yours, I have to say, I'm a bit surprised at your choice of adventurer. An elf? from the woods? lurking around the caverns, going deeper and deeper and then into hell? That was never going to end well, so kudos to you for embarking on this almost always suicidal quest with one of the puny tree-lovers.

Also, how badass was the elf skills-wise? Because if he was legendary in any weapon skill, I think you should have at least tried to kill a few more demons, descend a few more z-levels. You may have erred on the side of caution when leaving at your first kill, with a demon's head in the bag.
The story of Aban Diamondtowns the Charms of Society, dwarf legend, and his descent into the depths. (SPOILER)
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=79229.0

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2011, 04:55:31 am »

Regarding yours, I have to say, I'm a bit surprised at your choice of adventurer. An elf? from the woods? lurking around the caverns, going deeper and deeper and then into hell? That was never going to end well, so kudos to you for embarking on this almost always suicidal quest with one of the puny tree-lovers.

Also, how badass was the elf skills-wise? Because if he was legendary in any weapon skill, I think you should have at least tried to kill a few more demons, descend a few more z-levels. You may have erred on the side of caution when leaving at your first kill, with a demon's head in the bag.

I wanted to see prove that even an elf could brave the deep and survive, I got more than what I wanted. The aid I got were 10 humans, who all died to various creatures in the caverns (who were inhabiting my 1x1 tunnels...). I was saved by the dwarven armor specially made for whomever claimed it first.

I guess I can connect his survival to his attributes and inner speed along with the armor (which didn't seem to help against the & though).

The battle. (She was on me the whole time, and only now did I realize my typo.)

My inventory.

Statistics.

Kills.

Anyway, here it is, my living adventurer.
[The graphics don't look too well] I am now a believer in hope, hope that you can still survive when all odds are against you.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2011, 11:25:19 am »

I (hope I) will survive, even if that means coming out with nothing more than a head and body.

For weapons and armour, I will make a small 2x2 fort specifically for weapon- and armour-crafting. I will make a Blast Furnace, a Smelter, a Primitive Forge, a Finishing Forge, and a Metalsmith's Forge. The Blast furnace will make the steel required to enter the Underworld. Then, my Smelter will make Adamantine for weapons against the unholy horde, and coke for fuel. The Primitive Forge will make the silver for a Skullcracker. My Finishing Forge will make Wrought Iron for ammunition. The Metalsmith's Forge is necessary to process the raw metal into useable equipment.

The coke then is combined with the adamantine to make ultra-sharp longswords, daggers and impossibly strong shields and armour. The Steel will be used to make backup weapons such as falchions, shortswords, and raven's beaks. The Silver is the best material to make a skullcracker to drive the Demon's skulls through their brains (if any). Wrought Iron will be used to make a crossbow and a huge amount of ammunition. Mithril or Levisium may be used instead of Steel or Adamantine for weapons and armour.

The fort will be placed on an abandoned night beast's lair. Lots of fresh food and drink will be brought from the Mountain-Homes. Extra time will be taken to prepare extra furniture, such as a bed and chair. The chests for storing extra loot will be hand-crafted. Because filling a water-skin fills it up to an insane amount (1800), I will make a barrel and put that extra water into the barrel. One barrel of water should last about 4 or 5 months compared to a single barrel of alcohol (25).

I will make my own backpacks for some other possessions from butchering my hunting kills.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2011, 02:59:35 pm »

Yeah, but it might be better to mine for the adamantine, so you can find a demon fortress.
Not all sites have a Demon Fortress. In fact, I've heard that there is only one Demon Fortress per 16x16 embark tile, max.

It's a pocket world, though, so I apologize if I violated your requirements.

ANYWAYS, I've just killed a Horror of Twilight, with only himself, a cauldron, a quern, a mortar and pestle, and a table. No tools, no sapient butchering byproducts, only what it said on the tin. It's an uncomfortably clean lair. Perhaps moving to that mountain titan's lair might be worthwhile. That world is in the Titan's age name, too, so once I kill it and move in, I can go and brag about my kill and find other Megabeast dwellings.

The mountain lair is also only a few miles (adventure log map tiles) away from the Horror of Twilight's lair, but it's probably a good bit upwards.

My guy is an outsider who is probably an Adept Knife User wielding a copper scorpion dagger, but once I melt down a steel breastplate, I can forge a Large Steel Dagger from the raw materials. I killed a giant lion who killed animals of other civs, butchered him, made his skin to a backpack, and picked up his meat, bones, and his skull. I got ambushed by several wolves in two packs, too. I killed them, butchered them, picked up the edible bits (just the meat for the second, not the organs) and the bones. I plan on carving the single bones from the legs into spear handles and the clusters of bones into blow-darts or arrow-heads. Then, I'll live off the land.

GloriousImp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2011, 04:14:17 pm »

Would someone share a save with a ready stairway to
for me? Either in Vanilla or Genesis if possible.

I'd terrible in fort mode, I just play this game as a kickass rogue-like
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 04:26:18 pm by GloriousImp »

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2011, 03:59:22 am »

I'm resurrecting this thread. It deserves to be read. Those pigeons shouldn't be forgotten.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2011, 05:09:17 am »

I'm resurrecting this thread. It deserves to be read. Those pigeons shouldn't be forgotten.

Truly said, death from the skies deep under the earth!

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2011, 08:12:20 pm »

Quote from: UristMcHuman
Would someone share a save with a ready stairway to
for me? in Vanilla if possible.
Code: [Select]
          ^         
          |         
          |         
          |         
Sorry about this, GloriusImp.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2011, 03:25:07 pm »

This is probably my favorite adv mode story I've ever read. I read this a few months ago, and loved it.

The birds were sent from Armok to aid his loyal servant  :P

Victuz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2011, 08:32:38 pm »

Stories like that make me wish for one thing to finally come into realization.

That eventually in adventure mode you will be able to make your adventurer create a group or a civilization that he could rule over. A badasses such as this guy deserve it!

By the way how exactly did you take control over him once you retired him?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 08:35:38 pm by Victuz »
I once flung a migrant off a bridge. He collided with the brook cliff and died.
A year later, my legendary engraver engraved him colliding with an obstacle and dying.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2011, 10:54:44 pm »

You can resume playing as an adventurer you previously retired. :)
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
  • Confused noob having lots of fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2011, 12:41:34 am »

My own adventurer had a more foolhardy and permanent way to get down to the depths. 

Namely, she jumped into an adamantine shaft.  Somehow, she survived with no real injuries.  so now she's basically wandering around killing demons trying to avoid being overwhelmed (they aren't going specifically after her, so it's more like killing very, very deadly animals).
"If a job is worth doing, it's worth dying for."
-- Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

Victuz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2011, 07:44:38 am »

You can resume playing as an adventurer you previously retired. :)

I never knew that xD. They always got nommed by a dragon or squished by a bronze colossus :P.
I once flung a migrant off a bridge. He collided with the brook cliff and died.
A year later, my legendary engraver engraved him colliding with an obstacle and dying.

Cocoprimate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2011, 11:20:39 am »

I'm really glad people seem to like this story and appreciate what a badass Aban was. He simply had no shits to give.

I've half a mind to put it to writing in a more story-like form, as this one is pretty much an out of character recollection of events, which still works, I guess. I deeply regret having deleted the save, as I could have posted pictures of his physical description, his stat page, his hideout in the woods, his collection of heads, and so forth.

Stories like that make me wish for one thing to finally come into realization.

That eventually in adventure mode you will be able to make your adventurer create a group or a civilization that he could rule over. A badasses such as this guy deserve it!

It would have been incredible. Aban of course would've taken a pigeon striking a demon as a banner, or symbol or whatever the game calls them, and swept the elven lands until no more pointy ears remained to hear the laughter of his dwarven warriors.
The story of Aban Diamondtowns the Charms of Society, dwarf legend, and his descent into the depths. (SPOILER)
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=79229.0
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4