Poll

Where Should We Settle?

In the mountain.
On the mountainside.
In the oasis.
Other (Please Post)
Don't Care / View Poll.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Primordia - A Minecraft LP  (Read 6233 times)

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Primordia - A Minecraft LP
« on: March 09, 2011, 03:14:51 pm »

My mouth is dry. Eyes stuck together from lack of moisture. Something coarse scraping on my face. So thirsty. So hungry. Who am I? Where am I?

I try to stand up but I slip, falling down again. The surface underneath me is barely solid. Sand. That's what it is. Just sand. I get myself together and force my eyes open, looking down at the yellow grains underneath me. I manage to stand this time, lumbering to my feet like a cow smacked awake by a cowherd's stick.

It looks like it wasn't just underneath me that was sand. It looks like everything is sand. The sandhills are only broken by a single lone mountain standing in my field of view.

Spoiler: I Awake (click to show/hide)

The only way to get my bearings is to find high ground and see if there are any real features within sight. I scramble to the top of the sand dune and see little but three more mountains to the far... South? Let's go with south. I think the sun has just risen, so that would make sense.

The lone mountain is to the west. It looks so solitary compared to the others.

To the east and north is only open desert, as far as I can tell. It'd probably be dangerous to travel it. Maybe I should get my bearings from the top of one of the mountains and try to find water or food. I am so thirsty. So very thirsty.

Spoiler: The Tri-Mountains (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Lone Mountain (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Empty? Desert (click to show/hide)

I wonder, where should I go? Through the desert, to the three mountains or to the lone mountain?

I can barely make up my mind.

Spoiler: Boring Technical Stuff (click to show/hide)

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
Re: Primordia - A Minecraft LP
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 04:14:39 pm »

This certainly looks like an epic world. Thing is, will youu have any wood on a desert map?
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 06:19:08 pm »

I don't think the Primordia generator gives you any wood anywhere. This is kinda game-breaking, because even if there's loot in the ruins/etc, no wood means no torches to get to it. I think the only way you can actually do anything in Primordia is to InvEdit in some saplings and dirt and start a tree farm (for minimal cheating, of course).

Jusman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 07:53:31 pm »

There are oasises (oasi?) that have trees. I genned a 64x64 world earlier and it told me the total number of trees in the world was like 36 or something, so I guess they're pretty rare, though on that world I managed to see the trees just by climbing a mountain I spawned beside.
I heard your like sieges so I put a Goblin fortress in your fortress so you could siege while besieged.

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 02:19:28 am »

There are oasises (oasi?) that have trees. I genned a 64x64 world earlier and it told me the total number of trees in the world was like 36 or something, so I guess they're pretty rare, though on that world I managed to see the trees just by climbing a mountain I spawned beside.

This. The map generator needs major resource conservation in order for the player to survive.

EDIT: I'll get onto it now. Locking the poll etc.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 02:24:41 am by Farseer »

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 03:43:52 am »

I decide, on a wild impulse, to just wander into the desert. Surely there will be water there, somewhere?

Spoiler: Into The Desert (click to show/hide)

My throat is dry. Parched. I can barely breathe without being in pain. Where is the moisture?! Where?!

All there is is mountains and desert and more mountains...

The only sounds I hear are the shufflings of my feet on the sand and occasional explosions in the distance. They worried me at first, but they don't seem directed at me. Who cares about them?

Spoiler: More Mountains (click to show/hide)

Hold on... What's this?

Spoiler: Pyramid?! (click to show/hide)

I wonder what's inside it...

Spoiler: Dark (click to show/hide)

I've stopped wondering. I know what's inside it and that is my inevitable death. Then again... Maybe it has water...

No! No! Anywhere but in there.

At around midday, I thought I'd spotted some trees. I was EXCITED! Finally, trees meant water!

But no... It was just more mountains.

Spoiler: Trees?! (click to show/hide)

The pyramid had shaken me up a bit, so I decided to gather up the only weapon I had in abundance: Sand. Unfortunately, that plan did not go quite as expected.

Spoiler: A Sand Block? (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: wat (click to show/hide)

This place has strange rules. I cannot pick up a handful of sand, merely sand blocks. BLOCKS of sand which I can then place as blocks again to make blocks and blocks for the blocks and....

AHHH! What's wrong with this place?! It's just stupid!

I need to get out of here as soon as I can. Straight away preferably.

Taking a look back to make sure that was the way we came from (I'm still not certain, everything here looks exactly the same, I'm lost), I carry on.

Spoiler: Where We Came From (click to show/hide)

I'd barely got a few meters before the sun began to set. I used my new sandblock skills to build a primitive den for myself. Who knew what wandered these deserts during the night?

I could see the sky through the top of the den. It was truly beautiful. I've never seen so many stars. It almost made me forget my thirst for awhile.

Spoiler: Sky (click to show/hide)

But I had to seal it up. I couldn't do it with sand. The sand kept falling down onto my head. I almost suffocated when I tried to put two blocks down at once. Maybe that would be a quick way out... Later...

I was playing with the sand when I, as if by magic, formed it into a block of sandstone. Maybe I'm asleep! That would explain it! All this oddity! Maybe I need to find a bed and go to sleep and everything would be fixed! Or maybe I'm actually a wizard. I can't remember what life was like before, but I'm certain it was far different to this.

I quickly patched up the top of the hole of my den, and fell into a deep slumber.

Spoiler: Sandstone Blocks (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Darkness (click to show/hide)

At least, I did before I heard the noises. Growling, grunting, shuffling on the sand. All coming from right outside, as if they knew where I was and were just trying to work out a way to get in. Nothing has terrified me more than this. The fact that I could die here, trapped in a desert, thirsty, hungry and being torn apart by the ravenous monsters outside.

They stopped, eventually, and I dug out my den to see the rays of light coming through. They must only be there during the night.

And then there was one standing there.

Spoiler: Oh Dear (click to show/hide)

I got away. At least, I think I did. I'm not dead.

I don't know how long I walked for, how many miles or how many days, but I eventually found water. My tongue had swollen in my mouth, choking me even more than sand ever could. My eyes were dry, devoid of moisture. I felt like a corpse that had been baked in the desert for far too long.

And then there were trees.

Spoiler: Trees! (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Water! (click to show/hide)

Even better, it came with meals on wheels!

Spoiler: Animals! (click to show/hide)

I drank up as much as I could before I felt bloated (it still didn't alleviate my thirst, so damn thirsty...) and sat down. I wondered what my next move was. I should stay by this oasis, I think, at least for a little while to get myself set up.

There was a nearby mountain, too.

Spoiler: Mountain (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Oasis (click to show/hide)

But, should I settle on the mountain, in the mountain or by the oasis? That's the real question.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 09:42:02 am »

You have to make the grass to grow all the way to the mountain, then collect saplings and set up an underground tree farm. Use the mountain as the main fortress, carve it from the inside with rooms on multiple Z levels, and make a lighthouse on top.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 09:58:15 am »

No underground saplings! Wood should stay a rare commodity!

That being said, I support living in the Oasis, building a home out of Sandstone. then carve the mountain into a giant statue.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 05:54:37 pm »

Make a home in the oasis, but make a secret tree farm in the mountain with torches, which you close off and leave a marker to find, but come back every few days. Also, Get to coal fast. Very, very fast. And until the farm is ready, plant trees at the oasis, and pray they live.

Oh, make a wall with skirt to protect from baddies.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 08:11:24 pm »

I'll leave this overnight. But I am going to be doing it based off the votes in the poll, gents.

On saplings: Y / N?

Jusman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 08:56:15 pm »

Build this just outside of the oasis

I heard your like sieges so I put a Goblin fortress in your fortress so you could siege while besieged.

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2011, 03:20:09 pm »

Y for saplings. Rember to make a wall in th oasis.
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2011, 03:29:38 pm »

MAKE A WALL OF TREES  TO PROTECT YOU FROM THE EVIL BEASTIES!

Zecro_The_Scourge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 06:20:12 pm »

Wall off the area using 2 block high sandstone collect enough wood dig out a home in the mountain.

Then start channeling out parts of the mountain and make a aquaduct.

Continue onwards by TERRAFORMING, You heard me. Strike the earth and look for dirt deposits and terraform the area into a full oasis then make a treefarm in your new home AMD WHEN YOU GET TORCHES YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO
"Also I always figured you were like Tesla, only requiring two hours of sleep before going onto whatever you do"

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2011, 06:44:00 pm »

Farseer = Pathos, therefore he is B&.
Pages: [1] 2