Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Urist McMason cancels build construction: item blocking site  (Read 1637 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
Urist McMason cancels build construction: item blocking site
« on: March 09, 2011, 11:02:02 pm »

I'm trying to remake my stairs because I dug into the top of a wide open cavern. However, they keep cancelling the construction because there are rocks on the spot where they are trying to build it. The rocks are not forbidden or set for dumping, but if I move the rocks beforehand, they can build it. Before they would always move unmarked rocks automatically. Why are they suddenly being more retarded than normal?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Urist McMason cancels build construction: item blocking site
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 11:03:11 pm »

They probably can't move it because all the adjacent tiles are marked for construction.They won't think to just toss it down the stairs.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 11:05:22 pm »

I tried making a new path to the site and they suddenly decided to build the stairs. previously there were only stairs on that floor, but half of them were carved by my miners.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 11:08:20 pm by Lagslayer »

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 11:08:47 pm »

the rock is being used for something else?
LOSING IS FUN!

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 11:14:09 pm »

I'm thinking they just can't set rocks down on stairs, period. When I carved the extra tunnel, they had a solid place to set the rocks.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 11:14:27 pm »

Were they up/down stairs with proper connections?

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 11:18:17 pm »

the rocks might have been chosen to build the stairs, just not the ones they were on.
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 12:09:16 am »

the rocks might have been chosen to build the stairs, just not the ones they were on.
Yep, let's say you want to build a wall section, and there are 3 rocks that lie in the way.

About 1/3 the time, wall section A will attempt to use B's rock, B will use C's rock and C will want to use A's rock.  The result is that nothing gets built until you sort it out.  Whenever I run into issues like that, I build 1 tile at a time, or build the wall in smaller sections, then go back and fill in the gaps.

spook54321

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 02:34:11 am »

I also find this issue, though not with building walls, but adding doors and beds to my closets...the bed is canceled with an item blocking site error if my legendary miner left the stone behind...
I think that they refuse to move the stone into a square scheduled for building, and with no other places to put it...job canceled...
It's the same reason why sharks don't attack lawyers, professional courtesy.

This (small) sig of mine

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 02:57:51 am »

They will definitely move a stone onto a construction site.  The only times I've seen jobs canceled like this, is when the offending item was otherwise claimed.  Like a sock when some guy didn't have a bedroom to stash it in, or a forbidden stone, or a log that was tasked to be burned to charcoal, or a metal bar that was going to build a floor section elsewhere.  Even if that floor section is Suspended, it's still claimed that bar.

ikkonoishi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 03:16:48 am »

They will definitely move a stone onto a construction site.
Only if that site is suspended. They won't move excess stone onto an active site, and they can't move stone that is slated to be used to construct something.
Our Dwarven instincts compel us to run blindly towards disaster in case there may be a ☼<☼giant cave spider silk sock☼>☼ lying around.

vogonpoet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 03:56:18 am »

For finicky space restricted underground construction jobs, I tend to create a temporary dumping zone close (adjacent) to my intended construction site, then dump all the stone which is currently sat at the site into said zone, reclaim the stone, and then build my wall or whatever. That way, any stupidity with blocking stones which are tasked for suspended jobs or whatever are neatly bypassed.

I also like to (quantum or otherwise) stockpile stone near huge surface construction sites before mass-designation if possible - there is nothing worse than racing to close off access to the caverns before a forgotten beast goes all syndromey on your asses, only to realise your dwarves failed miserably to build the wall you wanted because the stone they need to move is tasked to become part of a wall on the other side of the map sometime in the next couple of seasons...
Everything I know about reality, I learned from Dwarf Fortress.