Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: first GOOD artifacts :D (Also need some help regarding them)  (Read 3773 times)

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile

these are my first good artifacts! I have no idea why, but I am totally psyched out about this XD

I edited the descriptions of both of them together into 1 picture:

So, how much do you think these would buff up an area?

Also, how would I put one of these into a meeting hall or something?
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: first GOOD artifacts :D (Also need some help regarding them)
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 12:55:17 am »

I dont think you can build anything that uses figurines or crowns.
LOSING IS FUN!

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 01:15:59 am »

You can't without a simple display case mod.  Craft items currently don't have much use besides trade and getting stolen by kobolds. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Matazat

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME:DARK_BEDROOM][DIET:RAMEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 01:40:30 am »

You can't without a simple display case mod.  Craft items currently don't have much use besides trade and getting stolen by kobolds.

Except you can't trade artifacts, so they're essentially thiefbait.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 02:39:23 am »

If you want them in a meeting hall or noble's room or somewhere and aren't using the display case mod, you can make a 1-tile, 0-bin stockpile that only accepts artifact items. Once they're on the stockpile, forbid, and remove the stockpile. Serves no useful purpose, but aesthetics are always nice.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Matazat

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME:DARK_BEDROOM][DIET:RAMEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 03:11:43 am »

If you want them in a meeting hall or noble's room or somewhere and aren't using the display case mod, you can make a 1-tile, 0-bin stockpile that only accepts artifact items. Once they're on the stockpile, forbid, and remove the stockpile. Serves no useful purpose, but aesthetics are always nice.

Does this add to the room value?

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 03:40:46 am »

No. Only constructed items and engravings do.
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 06:35:43 am »

I just had a child withdraw from society, and make:

Rimtarvosut, "Castlehale", a raw adamantine crown

This is a raw adamantine crown. All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with raw adamantine and green diamond, decorated with goblin bone and cow bone and encircled with bands or raw adamantine and adamantine. This object menaces with spikes of light yellow diamond. On the item is an image of thin crosses in raw adamantine.
On the item is an image of Castlehale the raw adamantine crown in light yellow diamond.
On the item is an image of Dostngosp Vilefrenzies the goblin and Nomal Guardhammer the dwarf in cow leather. Dostngosp Vilefrenzies is making a plaintive gesture. Nomal Guardhammer is laughing. The artwork relates to the mortal wounding of the goblin Dostngosp Vilefrenzies by the Dwarf Nomal Guardhammer with a bronze spear in Bentrampart in the early winter of 258 during the Ninth Attempted Abduction at Bentrampart.

1,707,600☼.

Leather and bones: 600☼, Diamonds: 7000☼, Adamantine: 1,700,000☼, A dwarven child making an artifact image of a heroic dwarf laughing while stabbing a goblin kidnapper: Priceless.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 07:07:30 am »

I just had a child withdraw from society, and make:

Rimtarvosut, "Castlehale", a raw adamantine crown

This is a raw adamantine crown. All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with raw adamantine and green diamond, decorated with goblin bone and cow bone and encircled with bands or raw adamantine and adamantine. This object menaces with spikes of light yellow diamond. On the item is an image of thin crosses in raw adamantine.
On the item is an image of Castlehale the raw adamantine crown in light yellow diamond.
On the item is an image of Dostngosp Vilefrenzies the goblin and Nomal Guardhammer the dwarf in cow leather. Dostngosp Vilefrenzies is making a plaintive gesture. Nomal Guardhammer is laughing. The artwork relates to the mortal wounding of the goblin Dostngosp Vilefrenzies by the Dwarf Nomal Guardhammer with a bronze spear in Bentrampart in the early winter of 258 during the Ninth Attempted Abduction at Bentrampart.

1,707,600☼.

Leather and bones: 600☼, Diamonds: 7000☼, Adamantine: 1,700,000☼, A dwarven child making an artifact image of a heroic dwarf laughing while stabbing a goblin kidnapper: Priceless.

why do you make your wards who take the care of your priceless children carry spears made of just bronze? doesn't that feel wrong? shouldn't they have spears of goblin bone or steel, at least?

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 09:00:08 am »

A bone spear is about as effective as a pudge battle axe.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 09:27:34 am »

A bone spear is about as effective as a pudge battle axe.
yeah i agree that it performs poorly. But doesn't it feel just right?!

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 07:37:44 pm »

Does this add to the room value?

No, so put them in high traffic areas. Dwarfs walking by them can have good thoughts about them.