Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: River freezes over in temperate embark?  (Read 11008 times)

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: River freezes over in temperate embark?
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2011, 02:20:55 pm »

There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

can i sig this?
Spread the wisdom.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

Krelos

• Bay Watcher
  • Was nauseated by the sun recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2011, 02:52:29 pm »

I had one embark where the water froze for about 2 dwarf days in the middle of every winter, which is about 6 RL seconds.
Quote from: Ravenplucker
Quote from: Aklyon
Quote from: smokingwreckage
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.
or maybe throw them into the large hadron collider to atom-smash them instead.
Not to mention to throw all available animals into tiny pits.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2011, 03:15:06 pm »

On a related note, I've found that setting murky pools to "restricted" traffic zones actually does a pretty good job of keeping dwarves off the ice (for safety reasons). They will walk around the frozen pool unless there's something in the middle of the ice that they're trying to get to where no other path exists.

As for rivers, if they have a bridge somewhere setting the river to restricted should work within limits anyway. If the pathing cost to cross the river at 25 per tile is still less distance than using the closest bridge then they'll just cross the frozen river, but that should be fixable with multiple bridges.

Also, water will freeze as along as there is (was?) open space leading to the surface above it. Water that's covered will not freeze. I'm not entirely sure if this is determined by the Inside attribute or not.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2011, 03:45:58 pm »

If the water is underground (i.e. a tunnel, not a channeled tile), then the fortification tile does not freeze as it's "underground".  I think the qualifier is "inside" when you look at the tile with the "k" menu.

Water will freeze in a tile that's been exposed to light, even if it's been constructed over and is thus "inside". I'd say the qualifier would be "LIGHT", since an uncovered tile will always be lit, regardless of your lead floors over them.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Cuppsworth

• Bay Watcher
  • Cuppy Cuppsworth, Baron of Prague
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2011, 08:04:22 am »

How undwarfish. The proper method of keeping building destroyers out is to seal the entry channel to your cistern is to pump in a tile of magma to make an obsidian plug and keep them out that way. Then, when you need to reopen it, Urist McSacrificialLamb gets assigned the job of mining out the plug.

The proper way to keep building destroyers out is to kill them. Much more economical than that obsidian plug.
Cuppsworth has turned into the 'penny pincher'.

After the great trauma of having some one steal one penny from him he has invented a alter ego who stocks the night and fights crime in the city of Gotham Penny-Villa. With his faithful ward buck boy he strikes fear into the hearts of petty criminals everywhere.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2011, 08:13:36 am »

So I just moved up to .21 and chose a nice easy temperate embark to play with some clay and suddenly winter comes around and the rivers freeze.  I didn't think rivers froze in temperate environments?
hey i live in area which i think is temperate and rivers do freeze for the winter! (and half spring and late autumn as well).

edit: however water does flow down there under the ice and you can even fish if you bore a hole wide enough.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 08:16:42 am by nanomage »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2011, 12:49:10 pm »

Only elves deign building destroyers worthy of the effort needed to kill them. Except with the cleansing might of MAGMA.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2011, 07:35:27 pm »

I use a fortification and then a vertical grate and never had any problems, but if you want to get really dwarfy, tunnel out a j shaped vertical pipe and put the grate over the bottom part of the j, then a pipe to your cistern and a floodgate (or a door) in a diagonal kink, to reduce pressure. Building destroyers can't destroy anything from below. I've done it a few times and it seems to work.
Pages: 1 [2]