Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Community Effort?  (Read 1049 times)

Vigilant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New Community Effort?
« on: March 11, 2011, 01:31:34 pm »

I was thinking about this last night/this morning. We have 1800+ open bug reports. Some of them are certainly still valid but it keeps coming up that a lot of them have since been resolved either directly or indirectly by a later version than the one it was reporting under. However, Foot/Dwarfu can't really close them without some confirmation that the bug no longer exists. This is something us as a community can do to give back since a lot of these older reports i'm looking at could be easily reproduced. Get a few people to check out each bug report independently of each other, and if we get a couple "couldn't confirm" reports, we can assume the error no longer comes up.

At the very least everyone should go back to older bug reports they've personally submitted and give them a look over. I think one way or the other we have enough dwarfs here to trim down the number of reports on mantis, which definitely would help our Toad out. I'm sure he wastes a decent big of time investigating bug reports only to find out an particular one is no longer an issue.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New Community Effort?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 01:41:22 pm »

Here here(hear hear?)

Also, if your report is a child/duplicate of another bug and your report doesn't have a useful save or extra information, consider volunteering to have it closed as a duplicate.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 02:47:37 pm »

I'm 100% in favor of this.  We (the managers) try to check back on old reports, but it's a lot of work and some reports inevitably get overlooked.  It's very helpful for reporters to keep their reports updated for new versions.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 06:44:46 pm »

So that makes me wonder about edge cases.  Like the one I reported way back when about arrows not being blocked by fortifications.  Afterward it was determined that elite crossbowmen were the only ones able to shoot through them(although they did succeed 100% of the time) and lower level ones simply would not fire apperantly because they know their bolts would never make it through.

Do I close the bug report?  It seems like my origonal thought may be intended behavior,  But the fact that lower level crossbowgobs won't even try, and that it's either all bolts make it through or none do doesn't quite sound right.  I don't really wanna close something at random when it may have to do with a bug anyway without knowing being told how that kind of thing should be handled.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 06:46:23 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 07:32:33 pm »

A problem with self-policing is that many players will disappear from the game for a while, and those that return after an absence may have forgotten their previous bug entries.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Vigilant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 10:05:28 pm »

Mantis tracks all bug reports you've submitted.

Also if you have spare time, see if you can look at some of the old ones others put yourself. I've taken two 31.01's so far and confirmed they still occur.