Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Underwater Volcano Tower, My first Megaproject!  (Read 8132 times)

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Underwater Volcano Tower, My first Megaproject!
« on: March 11, 2011, 08:51:53 pm »

This is going to be my first mega-project. I've thought about it before, had fun with previous forts. Found some interesting sites, but this one tops all the ones I've ever seen for all of the !!FUN!! I'll have. Except for the Adamantine Space Elevator and its relatives. But those were natural, this will be artificial. :P

I've been genning worlds and seeing what was around, when I came across this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
A volcano surrounded entirely by a lake. Out of curiosity, I decided to check it out. It's one of those bizarre sights that are difficult to resist exploration.

This is on a Reclaim, but the cap gives an idea of where the volcano is. Gonna make a clean run on this sucker.

It's buried by three Z-layers of lake water. Screenshot is of the first layer of water.

I'm going to build a clear glass tower that expands from the magma sea to the top of the map, with everything I can get away with inside that volcano. Since I have a strong fondness of thick worlds, this will eventually expand across more than 550 Z-levels. The ultimate goal will be everyone living on top of the world, looking down on everyone. I don't think any crops or grass will be able to be grown on constructed floors (muddied or not), so I unfortunately won't be able to have grazers on top of the world. :(

This is in DF 31.21...and I'll admit now that I jacked the mineral scarcity down to the minimum 100. Sand, clay, iron, tons of copper, cassiterite for bronze, although sadly there is no flux. And a whole bunch of other crap I will eventually never use. :P

Worldgen Parameters for those of you that are interested:

The first thing to do will be getting this volcano capped. Thank heaves for DF Hack! :D

Then to get farms, tap into the side of the volcano, and start up clay production.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Underwater Volcano Tower, My first Megaproject!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 09:06:18 pm »

Yes, Yes, YES!! Best megaproject ever! I DEMAND you upload the save when it's finished! (And a before-hand version right now!)
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 02:52:25 am »

Yes, Yes, YES!! Best megaproject ever! I DEMAND you upload the save when it's finished! (And a before-hand version right now!)
Here is a pre-embark save.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 02:53:23 am »

YES!! Wait, is there any land on the site?
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 02:55:08 am »

The first thing to do will be getting this volcano capped. Thank heaves for DF Hack! :D
Try with pumps, without DF Hack :D
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 03:02:02 am »

Me, looking at download progress--

5 PERCENT?! Oh, that says 50 percent. Nevermind.

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 03:06:00 am »

Try with pumps, without DF Hack :D
The volcano is BURIED under THREE Z-levels of water. More, it's a lake, so craploads of water will be pouring into that volcano.

That's what makes this site so epic.

It will take hours (days?) of waiting and unpausing in real-time before the volcano gets naturally capped. I may be patient, but I'm not that patient. :P

YES!! Wait, is there any land on the site?
Yes, there is. On that screenshot, the volcano is close enough to land that you could do a 3x2 (or larger) embark. I like doing 4x4.

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 03:29:55 am »

Just set your options so that caveins don't cause pausing.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 03:38:00 am »

DF\Data\Init\Announcements.txt

[CAVE_COLLAPSE:A_D:D_D:P:R]
to
[CAVE_COLLAPSE:D_D]
or
CAVE_COLLAPSE:A_D:D_D:P:R]
remove the first [ to make the token invisible.  You can easily re-add this later to return to normal.  This can be done for any announcement, to alter what gets reported and what doesn't.

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 04:20:17 am »

DF\Data\Init\Announcements.txt

[CAVE_COLLAPSE:A_D:D_D:P:R]
to
[CAVE_COLLAPSE:D_D]
or
CAVE_COLLAPSE:A_D:D_D:P:R]
remove the first [ to make the token invisible.  You can easily re-add this later to return to normal.  This can be done for any announcement, to alter what gets reported and what doesn't.
Yeah, I suppose I'll give that a shot. Gonna be soooooo boring waiting to play it, though.  :-\

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 09:32:09 am »

Awesome! May copy you and try this myself, draining 3 Z levels of water and building a tower on top of the volcano, middle of lake. I will make sure that is always a 1x1 tile non builded, so in the last level I can pit prisioners direct on the volcano!

Also, this gave me a idea to build a fort on the middle of a lake, not the easy way, just build floors on top of everything, but draining the center to build stable foundations(ie walls), and have a off-site fortress, shore mining camp. How I wish we could abandon the fortress without him being destroyed, just to see what happens with them later.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2011, 12:38:40 pm »

I gotta admit... it's the damned best idea I've ever heard.  If you could get a suitable source of water, I assume you could do something like this to a regular volcano, too (cap it off, build a tower with a cistern in it, pump some of the magma off the side of the mountain to drain a z level or two then build pump stacks in the caldera, now capped and underground)
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2011, 12:40:18 pm »

I've had a site like this before. It was temperate so the lake froze over for a bit and I just made SPEED:1 so I could actually get some stuff done without having to spread construction over a few dozen years.

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2011, 08:07:15 am »

Progress report! Fortress development nil; advances in !!SCIENCE!!

Turning collapse messages off doesn't help address the playability of the fortress. I think that the lake and the volcano will both be drained before the volcano gets capped. However, an alternative, turning cave-ins themselves off, will cap the volcano. To the !!SCIENCE!! behind this.

The reason why I saw cheating (DF Hack in particular) as a necessity is because of how Dwarf Fortress handles vertical flows. Everything above the volcano does not move at once. Rather, this happens:
This screenshot was taken T+2 frames after the initial the embark. T+1 frame was the lake rushing to fill the void above the volcano. Where the walkable path around it is.

While cave-ins are disabled, all those tiles are steam and obsidian walls. If I were to start up with it enabled, everything that isn't fastened to a wall will fall. For lack of a better term, a 'tube' will be created along the paths of the falling obsidian walls, filled with steam, lava mist, and other stuff. When these 'tubes' evaporate, the magma inside the volcano will rush to fill it. As these tubes are several Z-levels in height, the volcano will be draining itself to fill these voids. Which, by the way, makes for an incredibly fast way to drain a volcano, should one wish to colonize one. ;)

Overall, this means that the inside of the volcano will rapidly drain while the outermost parts (at the top) will obsidianize. After that, it's chaos. I've let DF run through its course twice to let it 'naturally' solve itself, but both attempts resulted in a crash-to-desktop, I guess because DF couldn't handle the number of processes begging for attention. After only three or four in-game days passing, the volcano's middle area is hollow (across at least 50 Z-levels), while the sides are filled with flowing magma.
Results look like this:
Spoiler: Day 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Day 2 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Day 3 (click to show/hide)

The dilemma of capping the volcano for a playable fort really shines there, I think. A bit of in-game time had elapsed between those two screenshots. That means that without taking immediate action (i.e. disabling caveins), the fort will be slow as cold molasses in January.

An off-shoot about that picture, specifically the tiles that haven't been obsidianized yet. I'm not sure if others have observed flows or not, but I haven't seen anything on the DF Wiki about it.

Anyway, looking at what's been obsidianized and what hasn't, you can see that there's definitely a pattern. Take that snake line's shape, copy it across the map. For a little amount of time, that flow will be moving vertically. It will switch between north-to-south and south-to-north. Then the flow map will rotate 90 degrees after either enough frames passing or enough flow-direction switches. Then the flow will be moving west-to-east or east-to-west. And swap to vertical flowing again. I hypothesize that all movement (that utilizes the flow algorithm) is dependent on these flow maps, which is why miners have such bizarre digging paths, and why giant water flows are so FPS draining (DF has to deal with evaporation and all 8 flow depth maps). Flow movements can be really easy to spot en masse, which this map can demonstrate on the top of the lake and caveins turned off.

This all follows suit with observations I've had with volcanoes and with flows in previous versions/forts in Dwarf Fortress.

!!SCIENCE!! For profit, pleasure, and the sake of !!SCIENCE!!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2011, 11:09:56 am »

I'd like to suggest you attempt another natural capping, but hobble your FPS.  Turn off invaders, set your FPS cap to like 5, and go to sleep.  It may be trying to run too fast, assuming that it can perform 100 FPS while it can't.  If you lower the FPS, it may run slowly but stable.  Sorta like how Adventure more is a lot more stable because it only does a turn on-command and not realtime.
Pages: [1] 2 3