Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Of course, that's just my luck.  (Read 1344 times)

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Of course, that's just my luck.
« on: March 13, 2011, 02:50:18 pm »

So there I was, meandering about the world, miles from civilization, and the sun starts to set. Coincidentally, I stumble across a lair, just before the sun went down. So I think to myself, "Well I could sleep in that lair, then I'd be safe from bogeymen" (I have no idea whether I actually would have been safe or not.) All I need to do is kill whoever is in there now. Easy, right? Wrong! As it turned out this lair was, in fact a Roc's nest. As I'm already up there when I find out, I have no choice but to fight. I hack at it a few times with my axe, with barely any effect. Of course, if I don't run now, I'm going to die. So I hop off a 1 z-level, cliff and start sneaking. I sneak back up to the nest, and I steal it's egg. Now, I didn't know how it would've felt about that, but I wasn't about to stay and find out. I was going to make my way to civilization, and show off my stolen Roc egg. It took me a few days, but I was finally almost back. Two tiles from the city, this happens, "Wolves!"
"Wolves," I thought, "can't stop me, I just stole a Roc egg!"
"You hack the wolf in the lower body with your iron battleaxe!
The wolf looks sick!
The wolf bites you in the head, and the severed part sails off in an arc!"

Oh. Of course. That's just my luck.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Of course, that's just my luck.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 03:05:40 pm »

Well i gotta say ... whenever you want to get to somewhere , don't stop at things like these if you can outrun them
Desu

Terrahex

• Bay Watcher
  • The Bee's Knees
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 04:15:13 pm »

I get killed by civilians a lot. wolves are not the worst thing to die from when you are the closest thing to a literal dwarven tornado.
What do you think? Yes? No?

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 01:07:35 am »

I often die in less than two hits. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I get points in armor and dodge, plus willpower, endurance, and recuperation. For some reason though, I get champs that just die in the first attack. It can be infuriating, especially when I see a string of dodges by the enemy each life.

Terrahex

• Bay Watcher
  • The Bee's Knees
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 08:46:09 pm »

I often die in less than two hits. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I get points in armor and dodge, plus willpower, endurance, and recuperation. For some reason though, I get champs that just die in the first attack. It can be infuriating, especially when I see a string of dodges by the enemy each life.

what you have to do is take advantage of your ambushing and throwing skills. usually they'll pass out, leaving a meat sack for you to cut/bash/lash/whatever. it'll train your skills higher. also, are you using [A] to carefully attack?
What do you think? Yes? No?

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 01:26:33 pm »

Toughness, strength, and agility are more important. Toughness and strength both resist/reduce damage (muscles absorb damage, help protect vital stuff). Strength and agility improve combat speed (very important - you get more hits in vs. how often you get hit back, ability to withdraw from multiple enemies, can hit and run even against single enemies), and I suspect agility factors into dodging and such, but it's hard to test.

Endurance just affects how quickly you get tired or how well you resist the effects of being tired or something like that, and willpower how well you resist pain and being tired, and recuperation how quickly you heal - while somewhat useful, none of these things help prevent being instantly killed, you want toughness/strength/agility for that.

Also, "armor user" doesn't make you any harder to kill, at least not directly, it just reduces the armor penalty to combat speed, so that more armor user = more combat speed while wearing armor, you also don't get tired as quickly. Again, useful, but doesn't do anything to prevent you from being quickly killed - "shield user" and "dodger," on the other hand, affect how often you actually block and dodge, and thus do directly help your survivability.

In other words, to not die: focus on toughness/strength/agility for attributes, and dodger/shield user (if using a shield) for skills. Throwing some points into your weapon skill of choice is recommended as well, but not as important imo - all the weapon skill in the world won't save you from a cheap instant death, but if you dodge and/or block often enough you'll survive long enough to get your weapon skill caught up (this takes a long time starting from no skill, however, so I still do recommend a few points in weapon skill for a head start, the rest into dodge and/or shield).
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 01:36:53 pm by Anathema »
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.