Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Translations into other languages  (Read 3791 times)

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
Re: Translations into other languages
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2011, 08:30:44 am »

Interesting development.
Not a project I'm willing to take up however, languages are not my strong point at all. Perhaps someone else in the community might want to look into this. I imagine finding semi-decent native speaking translators on the internet couldn't be too hard.

kruasan2011

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2011, 08:32:22 am »

У меня есть два знакомых (которых я знаю в лицо), которые пишут на ASCII ,  и один из них хорошо говорит по английски(оба  долго играют в эту игру). Достаточно пустить их энтузиазм в нужное русло. К тому же я им столько раз помогал, я думаю они мне тоже помогут

I have two friends (whom I know in person), who write to ASCII, and one of them speaks good English (both for a long time playing this game). Enough to let their enthusiasm in the right direction. In addition, I helped him so many times, I think they'll help me too

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2011, 08:34:54 am »

Interesting development.
Not a project I'm willing to take up however, languages are not my strong point at all. Perhaps someone else in the community might want to look into this. I imagine finding semi-decent native speaking translators on the internet couldn't be too hard.

I don't know, not many people use the internet these days, the chances of finding somebody with that specific skill set doesn't seems likely. Maybe you should take out an advertisement is your local news paper.

kruasan2011

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2011, 08:40:21 am »

Извините. Пожалуйста, пишите по простому, транслейтор не переводит некоторые фразы(

Oh, sorry. Please write with a simple transleytor not translate some phrases (

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2011, 09:12:20 am »

There are plenty of non-English speaking dorfers, I'm sure they'd welcome Toady building a language file for the main game that could be modded by fans so that the game could be played in other languages. I'd imagine that would be a major change though, probably take him weeks or months, with a fair few bugs introduced.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2011, 02:14:24 pm »

Why, exactly, would it be hard?

Different grammar rules would mean that he will have to redo pretty much every place where game does a bit mroe than jsut echoing string.

Then there is main issue: Who the hell would translate it all? Internet volunteers are not really dependable. They can easily get bored/annoyed with project and go AWOL. "Oh sorry, this release will not have russian messages for new stuff, Sergey is busy/not replying emails."

Hiring professional is not an option either - that is damn expensive and not really much more reliable.

Managing "oh, we still do not have elf diplomat messages transalted to spanish" of missing/not missing stuff is hell.

Then there is quality - amateurs are flaky. Amateour subtitles are pretty awfull even if people are well meaning. Imagine trying to polish quality of transaltion to language you do not even understand...

Not a good idea for one-man show project.

You might be surprised of what volunteers are capable. DF has a loyal fanbase, quite a few of which will be happy to finally be able to contribute something. Check out the languages www.openttd.org supports, for example.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2011, 03:31:30 am »

You need to have programming to generate grammatical sentences.  In Japanese, you need counter words.  You have to specify *what* you're counting.  There are many of them.  Numbers in Russian are pretty hard, too.  I don't remember the details.

The basic idea is that you need an entire (replaceable) function for every single message.  And you need to track all kinds of stuff, like what you're counting, the gender of the people (and objects... yes, objects), and all sorts of other stuff, because there are all kinds of weird rules.

It's definitely not easy.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2011, 03:06:12 pm »

Different grammar rules would mean that he will have to redo pretty much every place where game does a bit mroe than jsut echoing string.

Then there is main issue: Who the hell would translate it all? Internet volunteers are not really dependable. They can easily get bored/annoyed with project and go AWOL. "Oh sorry, this release will not have russian messages for new stuff, Sergey is busy/not replying emails."

Hiring professional is not an option either - that is damn expensive and not really much more reliable.

Managing "oh, we still do not have elf diplomat messages transalted to spanish" of missing/not missing stuff is hell.

Then there is quality - amateurs are flaky. Amateour subtitles are pretty awfull even if people are well meaning. Imagine trying to polish quality of transaltion to language you do not even understand...

Not a good idea for one-man show project.

You might be surprised of what volunteers are capable. DF has a loyal fanbase, quite a few of which will be happy to finally be able to contribute something. Check out the languages www.openttd.org supports, for example.
Better link: http://translator.openttd.org/en/status
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2011, 07:03:10 am »

That is very impressive. Kudos to devs and contributors.

It also showcases why it is not easy project. Some languages seems to be abandoned, some have small lag in translating new stuff, it all looks like it was hell to organize (if i was looking for good manager, i'd pick guy who is responsible for this happening).

---

I, however had simple idea: we can translate gamelog on fly with help of google translate api. Sounds like good evening project  :)

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2011, 09:56:57 am »

That is very impressive. Kudos to devs and contributors.

It also showcases why it is not easy project. Some languages seems to be abandoned, some have small lag in translating new stuff, it all looks like it was hell to organize (if i was looking for good manager, i'd pick guy who is responsible for this happening).

---

I, however had simple idea: we can translate gamelog on fly with help of google translate api. Sounds like good evening project  :)
And translations are done in way independent from core code: http://hg.openttd.org/openttd/trunk.hg/shortlog ( http://hg.openttd.org/openttd/trunk.hg/rev/8d9f5bb000d2 )
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Nazgulik

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2011, 09:42:03 am »

If someone else is interested in Russification, can be coordinated in a large Russian Community of translators of games here:
http://www.zoneofgames.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=18647

I myself have tried to do("raw" folder), but I failed... I think, translation the names of the dwarves e.t.c. - it's not the main goal, you first need to convert basic things, without which it is almost impossible to play for the Russian-speaking players... :-\

P.S. - Believe me, the auto-translator - a bad idea, it gives a more lulz than adequate translation...any translation in the auto-translator needs serious adjustment. The biggest problem is not to translate, the problem is to find text in files and make the game to take the Cyrillic.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 09:55:18 am by Nazgulik »
Pages: 1 [2]