Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Yours is a pick that will pierce the heavens!  (Read 14212 times)

Lord Zack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Yours is a pick that will pierce the heavens!
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2011, 07:54:46 pm »

There seriously needs to be drills in Dwarf Fortress. Take one mechanism and one drill head and you should be able to make a hand drill, right?

Artanis00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2011, 08:28:54 pm »

There seriously needs to be drills in Dwarf Fortress. Take one mechanism and one drill head and you should be able to make a hand drill, right?

Add a metal that pulses with an eerie, yet oddly comforting green light and we'd be all set.
Git - fast, efficient, distributed version control system
Github - Free public repositories, issue tracking, wikis, downloads...

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2011, 08:37:21 pm »

You fools! Dwarf heaven is the glowing pits! The demons are the foul spirits of the overworld, denied the dwarven birthright of the blissful abyss, coveting the sacred pillars in their jealousy! But we must go forth, defeat these tortured souls of elves and men who bring nothing but ash and filth to form their bodies, and claim our eternal reward!
Nikov, have you ever considered being a preacher?
You've actually given me reason to build an army and Jihad into HFS.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2011, 08:53:34 pm »

I can imagine all those dwarves I killed with magma coming back to kill me... *Shudders* But then again it would be pretty awesome to kill a god with your legendary adventurer.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2011, 09:01:22 pm »

Actually drills were literally two pieces of wood held together by a string until a few centuries ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bow_drill

Though I don't see why we have to include these, at least until reactions are made a little bit more complex, like sword needs handle, blade, and pommel in order to be constructed.

Unless your talking about large drills that dwarves can ride into the center of the earth. In that case no, it's to steampunk for dwarf fortress.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

harborpirate

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels eat: job item lost or destroyed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2011, 01:45:21 am »

Build a tower to the heavens, mine out the silver lining, try to survive the world gen gods themselves attacking your dwarves to make them pay for their insolence.

I like the idea that a secret mountain exists among the clouds.

When temples enter the game, perhaps mirror images of your own temples exist in the heavens.

Kill the gods and take their place! But it shouldn't be easy, this should be the hardest thing to do in the game yet.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2011, 08:46:17 pm »

These forums seem to have a lot of TTGL things around here.  Not that I'm complaining, it's just curious.

Its a game that focuses a lot on digging...and wherein extremely unethical population-control measures are often taken to prevent dire time-dialation related consequences...so what do you expect
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2011, 09:31:05 pm »

If we get hand drills, all my legendary miners get renamed simon. That is all.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2011, 09:46:37 pm »

These forums seem to have a lot of TTGL things around here.  Not that I'm complaining, it's just curious.

Its a game that focuses a lot on digging...and wherein extremely unethical population-control measures are often taken to prevent dire time-dialation related consequences...so what do you expect
Oh my god you're COMPLETELY right! O.O

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2011, 08:40:02 pm »

You people are all missing the most /horrible/ possibility: Piercing the clouds, only to realise that every one of those annoying migrants you offed is back and un-get-riddable-of.

"A vast unliving horde has migrated to your fortress!"
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

DrDada

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2011, 07:27:25 am »

Just had a same idea.

A God-City would be awesome. It would be sitting on top of the highest mountain(Olymp), populated by gods.
Every god would have its own house made of his prefered material, shops would only sell artifact-like goods.
Rivers of booze(I realy like that idea), golden apples on trees and a big dininghall where all the soldiers go that died in battle. They would have forgotten beasts as pets, and Dragons in the sewer :o
Maybe there could be aligned Cities so that evil gods and good gods would live in different cities.

bitterhorn

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Rage Against Dying of Light: Burritos
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2011, 08:44:09 am »

Also, valkyries are cooler then angels

sigged.
It is a world built on pillars that descend into hell itself, yet there is no heaven above to look to. A world where pain and death await all, with little to no salvation from the horrors of the world. There is no true peace, no true saviour. Dwarf fortress is a game about an eternal struggle that you can never, ever win.

Also, valkyries are cooler then angels...

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2011, 12:35:18 pm »

You fools! Dwarf heaven is the glowing pits! The demons are the foul spirits of the overworld, denied the dwarven birthright of the blissful abyss, coveting the sacred pillars in their jealousy! But we must go forth, defeat these tortured souls of elves and men who bring nothing but ash and filth to form their bodies, and claim our eternal reward!
Nikov, have you ever considered being a preacher?
You've actually given me reason to build an army and Jihad into HFS.

I am confused, I thought this was the whole point to the game? Why else would I be embarking in a desert?

Muad'Dib! Muad'Dib!
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2011, 02:22:32 pm »

naming them after me? you shouldn't have.
also, i demand pointy shades of AWESOME to be makeable and mandatory for all citezens
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2011, 03:13:35 pm »

naming them after me? you shouldn't have.
also, i demand pointy shades of AWESOME to be makeable and mandatory for all citezens

I second this demand. A squad of Kaminadwarves would strike terror into the hearts of the goblinoids!
Pages: 1 [2] 3