Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Yours is a pick that will pierce the heavens!  (Read 14208 times)

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
Re: Yours is a pick that will pierce the heavens!
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2011, 01:59:57 am »

Totally sigging this

It is a world built on pillars that descend into hell itself, yet there is no heaven above to look to. A world where pain and death await all, with little to no salvation from the horrors of the world. There is no true peace, no true saviour. Dwarf fortress is a game about an eternal struggle that you can never, ever win.

and I agree with the argument from theme. However I maintain my belief that a kind of Inferno where you meet historical figures/old adventurers and talk to them about their lives/evil deeds would be an excellent, thematically consistent addition to DF.
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2011, 03:11:47 am »

I just glanced at the forum page again, and read this thread title as 'Yours is a prick that will pierce the heavens!'.

Teehee!
[Signature]

The Mentat

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2011, 06:29:10 pm »

I'd actually enjoy being able to build into space more than heaven. I want to throw things into the sun!
We're not laughing at you, we're laughing with you. And pointing. At you.

Umune

• Bay Watcher
  • Not all who wander are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2011, 08:59:24 pm »

Rivers of booze(I realy like that idea)
How does it play with the magma?
If I find heaven lacking of magma, heaven shall be not but a smoking ruin, bathed in rivers of fire, echoing with the screams of those being ripped from their afterlives to join the HFS.

Alu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2011, 06:31:48 am »

I always thougt, the dwarves are more likely settled in the norse mythology.
So we'd have three areas: normal area, the netherworld and Valhalla for fallen Warriors. (also, if a Warrior dies and goes to Valhalla, it should give positive thoughts instead of negative ones)
"He admired a wonderful Trap lately"

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2011, 05:27:25 pm »

Totally sigging this

It is a world built on pillars that descend into hell itself, yet there is no heaven above to look to. A world where pain and death await all, with little to no salvation from the horrors of the world. There is no true peace, no true saviour. Dwarf fortress is a game about an eternal struggle that you can never, ever win.

and I agree with the argument from theme. However I maintain my belief that a kind of Inferno where you meet historical figures/old adventurers and talk to them about their lives/evil deeds would be an excellent, thematically consistent addition to DF.

Maybe in adventure mode there will be one.

In every (Thinks world map-> region map -> local area map)  In every square on the region map there is a demonic fortress, maybe there should be just ONE heaven, mostly for adventure mode.  Maybe if you were a great warrior when you died you could go to.
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2011, 01:42:22 pm »

Since dwarves come from Nordic pantheon, it would be more fitting to have a Norse Asgard rather than Christian heaven. Not only it is much more badass and dwarfy.

Seriously. Walkyries. We already have berserks (though not in the historical stance). And giants.
Pages: 1 2 [3]