Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The Df_31 Injury System  (Read 6998 times)

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Df_31 Injury System
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2011, 11:57:17 pm »

Beyond that minor gripe, the injury system is great and I don't see the problem. A few good stabs to the chest leaves your victim writhing on the ground. If you choose to keep hacking at his *iron helm* until you finally win the RNG lottery, that's your choice. All I can say to an adventurer is maim and move on, then go back when you've cleared out the immediate surroundings.

do you have experience of the previous system? did you read the first post?

previously it was possible to receive a mortal wound, fight on for a minute and then die

now 99% of the time, a wound instantly kills you, or the wound stops bleeding at the speed of superhuman healing and you will not die from it. its possible to have almost every bone broken, your skin and interior organs mashed to paste and still live- as long as it happens gradually over a period of time (eg. 5 minutes of constant play) and not all at once. only damage to the head and heart actually has the capacity to kill. this is a major step back from the previous system, and is not remotely realistic. to clarify, I am not saying the DF inury system is bad- its the best of any game of its kind- I'm saying its broken, if fixed is the realism we had previously.

The best way to fix this is to add a numerical value to bleeding (one for internal, and one for external), then tie these numbers to a set amount of blood. Dwarves can't possibly be made of infinite blood, so this would be "realistic" while also giving at least some way to attach a value to damage taken. It would also increase the need for a system designed for bandaging oneself. They could even expand upon this and add symptoms for certain amounts of blood lost, i.e., feeling faint, getting weaker, passing out., etc., etc.

Of course, this is an ego-tripping fantasy game, so dwarves should probably regain blood faster than people do in real life.

Necalli

• Bay Watcher
  • amusing ourselves to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2011, 12:02:37 am »

Currently, I see three main issues in current ADV. mode injury system:
1) Damaged fingers/thumbs don't heal at all. Why?
2) Infections can't be cured, thus spreading easily. My present character is infected from head to toe, and I can't do anything about it :U
3) Spine/neck or skull fractures (without nervous damage) has small to no effect on the injured, although, in fact, these are extremely dangerous. Same applies to internal organs - one can't possibly fight with their liver/kidney torn apart, no matter how tough they are.

TurkeyXIII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2011, 07:57:40 am »

If you want more pain and blood from deep wounds, there's a mod by a med student which alters the properties of a tissues and such. 

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=71494
A medium-sized bird with a distinctive fleshy wattle that hangs from the underside of the beak, and a fleshy protuberance that hangs from the top of its beak called a snood.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2011, 08:43:55 am »

I kinda like the unrealisticness. It makes DF seem a bit more visceral and gamelike.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2011, 05:53:54 am »

Broken bones cause too much pain, a superhuman adv can shrug off missing limbs without even the yellow pain icon but once he breaks a thumb or rib he will pass out many times. (4+)

****ing pain in the ass when your superhuman adv dies from a goblin cause he got a broken finger or something and fainted.

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2011, 01:16:43 am »

The best way to fix this is to add a numerical value to bleeding (one for internal, and one for external), then tie these numbers to a set amount of blood. Dwarves can't possibly be made of infinite blood, so this would be "realistic" while also giving at least some way to attach a value to damage taken. It would also increase the need for a system designed for bandaging oneself. They could even expand upon this and add symptoms for certain amounts of blood lost, i.e., feeling faint, getting weaker, passing out., etc., etc.

Of course, this is an ego-tripping fantasy game, so dwarves should probably regain blood faster than people do in real life.

Creatures do have a limited amount of blood and die when it is gone. and they do become faint then pale when they start to run low. and every tissue has a token saying just how much it bleeds when ruptured.
I do agree with the need for field surgery, though; and i think the game would be a lot more balanced if the [VASCULAR:#] token was upped on semi-vital organs and the velocity of blunt objects increased to do more useful damage.
Both of those, as well as adding a joint to the neck (allowing it to be broken, surprisingly realistically) can be changed via the raws.
The only thing requiring Toady's input is the healthcare and the inclusion of a theoretical [GRASP_STEP:#] body token, allowing damage to the arm or joints to affect the ability of a creature to use/hold a weapon.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2011, 03:51:10 am »

What numbers do you use? I want to do those modifications but I don't know what numbers are appropriate.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2011, 08:29:51 am »

The main problem with the current system is moddable. Creatures are not made out of bones, muscles etc. in DF, they are made out of MUCH tougher materials which instantly regenerate. They are like superheroes. If you want to know what I mean, try to play Genesis (it's not an advertisement), I increased bleeding rates 10-20x times and decreased regeneration a bit, and now fights are much more realistic. However there's really nothing we can do with unarmed combat which is sometimes more letal than weapons.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Miko19

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2011, 03:51:53 pm »

Slicing someone in half, cutting of his testicles&phallus (I am serious) and biting the throat then ripping it out work successfully for me.

Joost66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2011, 04:39:49 pm »

I have no idea what you people are talking about.

I have a sylvan elf adventerer guy going who killed a dragon in an epic fight with a spellwood club. (Or rather he beat the dragon into unconciousness and it passed out.) He went from Legendary Maceman 26 to 34. I was literally jumping up and down in pure glee.

Eventully I got bored used his knife to cut the throat.
wait... wait wait... How do you slit your own throat? I must know...
Hello. Have a nice day.

1v0ry_k1ng

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2011, 05:00:06 pm »

lol anyone who didnt play DF in 2009 or earlier has no idea what I am talking about here :(
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 05:30:35 am by 1v0ry_k1ng »

Ganthan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2011, 08:10:15 pm »

Actually, I'm pretty sure bleeding is already cumulative since a creature reaches faint and then pale and then eventually dies from it.  In fact that's a strategy I often use against night creatures and such.  Try to cut out a leg, then keep out of its reach until it finishes bleeding out.  When it's done bleeding, move in, give it another slash, then back away and let it bleed.  If anything passes out, slash its throat.  I have never ever seen a creature with blood survive the throat being cut more than a few turns.  I once hit a bandit in the throat with a single bow shot and he still bled to death in short order.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2011, 09:35:52 am »

If a bone is broken, it would be interesting to see, for example a rib, go through an organ.
That already happens, somewhat frequently even. The only way a hammerdude can kill you right now is a headbash, or a lucky shot to the torso that blasts a rib through your heart/lungs. Or maybe break the upper spine, resulting in total paralysis and suffocation, but that falls under a headbash.

Hell, I was testing a race of large reptilian humanoids (Size 700000 or thereabouts IIRC) for a mod I was working on, and I hit a human peasant (Was adv. mode testing) in the upper body (I was unarmed... Can't remember whether it was a hit or a kick), and I managed to jam one rib through another, and in that same strike, jam that whole mess through the poor fellow's heart. It was awesome.

Krath

• Bay Watcher
  • I dig giant robots.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2011, 04:15:28 pm »

Smashing someone's throat with a Steel Warhammer should not cause bruising, it should smash in their Adam's Apple, causing painful suffocation.
Jizzar sounds some kinda celestial object made of jizz~
Like a quasar or something~

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2011, 04:36:18 pm »

YES. Or, at the very least, break their necks. A mere karate chop to the neck in real life can knock you out cold, so a swung warhammer ought to do a bit more than bruise it, especially if swung directly at the throat. If i'm not horrendously wrong (which happens too often for my own liking), the neck happens to be chock full of veins and nerves, and let's not forget the windpipe and spine. It goes without saying that blunt trauma to any of those would be agonizing/paralyzing/lethal.

@Vorthon: Hell yeah, it's glorious when stuff like that happens. We should start calling it rib jazz because they jam so much. :P
i regret nothing
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER
Pages: 1 [2] 3