Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: The Df_31 Injury System  (Read 7008 times)

Dwarfoloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Df_31 Injury System
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2011, 04:47:19 pm »

lol anyone who didnt play DF in 2009 or earlier has no idea what I am talking about here :(

I did play, and I can't really agree with you. The material system is not perfect yet, bleeding needs to be more severe and presist for longer for example, but it's certainly a step in the right direction. Dismembering also needs to be cut down IMO, it's pretty cinematic right now.

Try the mod posted above (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=71494), that works much better than the vanilla values, though I think bleeding still stops too fast (is there any way to control that?).

To make GURPS analogy, I think the old system worked more like the cinematic combat rules with near one-shot enemy mobs while the new system is more akin to GURPS standard rules with wounded and incapitated mobs instead.

YES. Or, at the very least, break their necks. A mere karate chop to the neck in real life can knock you out cold, so a swung warhammer ought to do a bit more than bruise it, especially if swung directly at the throat. If i'm not horrendously wrong (which happens too often for my own liking), the neck happens to be chock full of veins and nerves, and let's not forget the windpipe and spine. It goes without saying that blunt trauma to any of those would be agonizing/paralyzing/lethal.

At least when using spear, I cause plenty of spine damage with headshots. I think they are possible for neck as well. But curiously windpipe doesn't seem to be represented at all. I mean, you can strangle sombody with wrestling and that knocks them out, but it doesn't seem possible slit the throat and permanently remove ability to breathe (and the nasty mobsies can't do that to our adventurers either, everything should go both ways).

But yeah, neck is where predatory animals go when they want to kill something fast. It's one of the most vulnerable spots for tetrapods.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 05:00:34 pm by Dwarfoloid »

Poliphorum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2011, 12:24:20 am »

I currently have a companion as an adventurer who is walking around with her guts spilled, and has been doing so for the past in-game week or so. She should have died a long time ago, but apparently she's either so badass she can do that or the injury system needs to be tweaked.

strongrudder

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2011, 02:45:11 am »

Something else that also makes .31 a bit easier in adventure mode is armor actually protects you, which cuts out a lot of the cheapshot deaths from before. I haven't been killed by a single wolf since 40d.

And that safeguard lasts until you get ambushed by a gang with better armor than yours (or at least better than your weapon!). Or some hax goblin smashes your skull through your pile of steel caps and helms X)
The flying ☼Earworm☼ strikes strongrudder in the brain!
The ☼Earworm☼ has lodged firmly in the wound!
strongrudder gives in to music.

1v0ry_k1ng

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2011, 09:14:14 am »

I just got completely mauled.. every body part on yellow, lost an arm, a tooth, damaged liver, stomach, torn lungs... I lived and was fine. stupid  :(

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2011, 10:50:47 am »

I just got completely mauled.. every body part on yellow, lost an arm, a tooth, damaged liver, stomach, torn lungs... I lived and was fine. stupid  :(
You wouldn't say that IRL :P
Pages: 1 2 [3]