Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pickerel's Mods  (Read 2685 times)

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pickerel's Mods
« on: March 14, 2011, 06:05:08 pm »

So I have been asking questions on how to do things on the board, here.  A while back, I had a 'variety is the spice of life' series of things, not quite a mod, just stuff I liked to add for fun.  Now that the new version has come out, many things are possible, and so I have started modding again.  As such, I will place those things which I make here, for people to peruse, use, and more importantly, correct.  After all, my syntax and grammar pretty much suck, and often things that look to me as though they are working are, in fact, buggy or quirky.  However I WILL ONLY PUT THINGS HERE IF I HAVE GOTTEN THEM TO WORK, so it should ONLY be more in the way of minor quirks.

Note: many of these have several sections that may need to be put in different raws, so be careful if copying and pasting.

1. hive-borne creatures.
1.A. Silk-producing silk moths. 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
1.B. Attine ants.  That is to say, leaf cutters.
1.C. Orb Weavers. 

2. An way to multiply those plump helmets.  I will be using this or similar things for more things in the future, but this is where they are at now...

3. Funky Plants and Such.
3.A. Chromatic 'fungi'. 
3.A.1: Red:
3.A.2: Yellow:
3.A.3: Green:
3.A.4: Blue:
3.A.5: Purple:
3.A.6: White:
3.A.7: Black:
[/spoiler]
3.B. Morels! 

« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 09:09:22 pm by Pickerel »

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pickerel's Mods
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 06:05:53 pm »

Went over the size limit, there.  Here we continue...

4. Splitting rabbits into two separate groups. 
4.A. Cadbury Bunnies. 
4.B. Rabbits. 

5. More Rock Processing!
5.A. Cutting large gems down to size, making them useful again.
5.B. Rock Polishing.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 01:27:11 pm by Pickerel »

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 06:36:41 pm »

Just reading over the raws, I'm noticing a few problems.
STONE_CORAL for the aster gall does not exist.
Neither does PLANT_LEATHER_TEMPLATE for the coal crust.

I manually fixed those two and my errorlog states that the only apparent error is that COOKING is not a valid skill token.
You want COOK.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 06:39:04 pm by Jay »
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 08:16:48 pm »

Yeah, you should always look at the errorlog while making a mod. Helps to sort out what works and what doesn't.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 09:02:35 pm »

Ahh!  Yes, I had actually forgotten about the error log!  I used to use that all the time, years ago ^.^  Oops ^.^  Actually, now that you have reminded me of it, it will literally cut off half the inane questions I spam this forum with...

As far as the Stone Coral and Plant Leather goes, I just forgot to copy and paste it... I am modifying the above entries accordingly, so they have everything.

Thanks for the info about COOK!  I'm also fixing that above and in my raws...

Oh, and I am not, by the usual definition, 'making a mod'.  I just usually make things for my own personal use because I think them fun, and then, if I think a few of them worthy, I have the desire to post them.  There's a bunch of things I don't post because they are just piddly little things I like, like having a 'carbonatite' layer containing calcium- and carbon-based gems, and having sands of all the 14 possible colors, and having fire imps and magma men and fire men with male and females, capable of producing young, and tripling all the growdurs (and adding an approximate [GROWDUR:1200] to all non-growdur plants that have seeds, and many more random things.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 09:30:24 pm by Pickerel »

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 02:09:19 pm »

Silk moths work perfectly, although it's a bit redundant (silk moth silk).
"Silk moth silk cloth" is hilarious in its own right, though.

Now if only we could select what species' colonies to install...
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

TurkeyXIII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 09:18:02 am »

Do the orb weavers make webs all over their natural colonies too, or just the artificial ones?
A medium-sized bird with a distinctive fleshy wattle that hangs from the underside of the beak, and a fleshy protuberance that hangs from the top of its beak called a snood.

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 10:38:36 am »

In he game, they do.

Outside of the game, they can't actually be put in any form of colony... at least, I don't think it has been done on any form of large scale.  But I think their tendency to cover vast areas in thick webbing is cool enough to warrant putting in-game as such.  I am trying to find a way to decrease their production speed in artificial colonies... I need to test if just decreasing their speed will do so.  I don't want them to actually be super productive, which is what they currently are, I want them to make an occasional bit of web.  Ideas?

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 03:32:24 am »

I really should update this, after all I did start the thread.

UPDATE: my foray into glass, sparked by my want for some sort of accurate stoichiometry between the reagents, has led me to a secondary foray into alchemy (chemistry), which led to the library (and tomorrow the public library to supplement)...  Which has spawned the beginnings of essentially a realistic alchemy sort of semi-mod.  I will just show you guys what I have so far, but unless you have some alternate use for any of it, I wouldn't recommend putting any of it in, as it is not yet tested, nor is any of it really joined together yet.  I'll just fix and update this entry as I fiddle with it all.

6. Glass, in all the colors of the DF rainbow... I tried, in ALL the glasses, to mimic the glasses in-game in every way, right down to the buttons pushed for a particular item.  However I made one furnace for each glass to keep them from being cluttered with original reactions, because glass does I think 31 things.  Many these things will require an alchemists lab named ALCHEMIST_LAB... Here.  I tried to make it look like a good chemistry lab, with glassware and such. 
6.a. Red Glass: In the entries in the red glass furnace, below, one can work with ruby glass, which is essentially made from gold.  However it takes very little gold to make a unit of ruby glass, and that gold has to be processed in a very special way to precipitate gold nanoparticles.  I mimicked this here.  Now, before you go and say that this is above the medieval setting of DF, I should point out that A. The ancient Romans had a way to make ruby glass out of gold, though supposedly their method is still debated, and B. The reactions for HCL and H2NO3, and their mixture which solublizes gold, that I used are actual reactions from the 13th century, created by alchemists in their heyday.
6.a.1. The Furnace
6.a.2. The Reactants
6.a.3. The actual red glass reactions essentially go as follows, but there's no reason for me to spam you with them yet... so just one:
6.a.4. The glass itself.  I just took what the wiki had, copied, pasted, and changed a few minor details.
Now, obviously to do any of this, one should already have a normal glass industry going, because the items needed for the alchemist's shop are glass.  But I suppose one could buy them.  I brought back the old version requirement of three clear vials, too ^.^
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 03:38:20 am by Pickerel »

ouroboros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 09:55:57 pm »

any thoughts on uranium glass?

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 08:55:18 pm »

I put it in.  I called it 'pitch glass' because I couldn't find the name of it historically, and I doubt they would necessarily know much about uranium, but the ore is pitchblende hence the name.  It's in my little glass-addition, the thread to which is
here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=80803.0
though it looks like nobody is taking any interest in it so I don't think it is getting tested.  I have it in my games and haven't noticed any problems from my standpoint, but I may have just not noticed them.
I am just obsessed with glass.  Even before this, I had forts entirely made of green glass...
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 08:57:47 pm by Pickerel »

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 02:30:49 pm »

I've been keeping an eye on this page and intend to play with your mod once I'm done messing with mine, actually. It looks neat. :)
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 06:39:44 pm »

Any chance of you updating this for the new version?
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2012, 02:38:23 pm »

Yes, though it will not likely be very soon.  I don't currently play DF because I am trying to focus primarily on finishing my Masters.  Once that is done, I will purchase a computer that can handle DF again, and I will surely want my glasses and silkworms and such, so I will definitely update.