Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Civilization starting locations (original sites)  (Read 824 times)

HraTaika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Civilization starting locations (original sites)
« on: April 21, 2012, 03:08:49 pm »

Good evening!

So I'm trying to create a world that has only forests, rivers and flat volcanoes and high savagery. Thus, many civs have hard time finding apropriate embarks. Thus my question is, how can I mod the civs to be able to start in all biomes and what changes do I need to do in order increase their survivability, for example in Untamed Deserts?

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Civilization starting locations (original sites)
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 03:38:21 pm »

In entity_default.txt, each civ has a [START_BIOME:x] line. Edit that to whatever suits your needs. I don't know if there can be several such lines.
Avid Aurora player, Warhammer 40.000 fan, part-time writer and cursed game developer.
The only thing that happened in general was the death of 71% of the fort, and that wasn't really worth mentioning.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
Re: Civilization starting locations (original sites)
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 03:42:59 pm »

There can be any number of [START_BIOME:x] tokens in an Entity object.  Each separate entity chosen will pick one, sequentially, from the list created.  Thus you can have the game generate Forest humans, Desert humans, Wetland humans, etc etc, in sequence, by giving them:

[START_BIOME:ANY_FOREST]
[START_BIOME:ANY_DESERT]
[START_BIOME:ANY_WETLAND]

You may need to adjust their [SUPPORT_BIOME:x] tokens, as well.  An entity, once generated on a specific terrain, will follow it's interior only.  They will not jump over to a new biome even if they support it, but they may "jump" to another biome like the one they started on if they support the intermediary biome, so an entity which has [START_BIOME:MOUNTAIN], for example, will only stay on the Mountains, ever, even if they jump across some Forest or River biome that they do, in fact, support.  That's how Dwarves get contained to the Mountain transitions.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 03:51:48 pm by Jeoshua »
I like fortresses because they are still underground.