Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: "Rumors from faraway lands will not save us..."  (Read 7813 times)

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"Rumors from faraway lands will not save us..."
« on: March 15, 2011, 12:04:25 am »

I just had this said to me, and it was fantastic. I love when people think of the most realistic things to happen in video games or movies. One of my favorites of all time is in Way of the Gun when Ryan Phillipe jumps into an empty fountain, only to realize it was a dumping ground for old bottles of liquor.

Anyone have their own tale? Video games or movies?

martys1103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Rumors from faraway lands will not save us..."
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 04:12:25 am »

This seems so strange that I thought it isn't adventure mode, but this is adventure mode discussion, so I must be wrong. Silly me.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 10:39:25 am »

It's what people in other countries say to your hero if he/she isn't known across the world yet.

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 10:52:54 am »

This seems so strange that I thought it isn't adventure mode, but this is adventure mode discussion, so I must be wrong. Silly me.
It happened to me while playing adventure mode. I went to brag about my deeds, and some dude just totally shot me down. I thought it was funny because it makes so much sense. I'm assuming you're telling me in a nonchalant way that this should be in another thread?

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 10:57:57 am »

And speaking of this, i often get that message in a buggy manner. I complete a quest, brag my ass off and take a new quest. Hey presto, completely identical quest! I just have to re-report the death of X, after which the questgiver says just that. It is of moderate annoyance, since my killing rate could be higher if it didn't happen.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 11:45:41 am »

And speaking of this, i often get that message in a buggy manner. I complete a quest, brag my ass off and take a new quest. Hey presto, completely identical quest! I just have to re-report the death of X, after which the questgiver says just that. It is of moderate annoyance, since my killing rate could be higher if it didn't happen.
I just had that happen about 5 minutes ago. It's not nearly as annoying as elf villages and every one of them being abandoned. Especially when I am moving at about half speed from a lack of merchants to sell my loot to.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 12:47:52 pm »

Definitely gives the grimdark/dark fantasy tone of the game anyways.

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 03:30:00 pm »

This happened to me when i couldn't find the criminal, and yet it was killed by somebody else , not a companion , thats kind of odd....
Desu

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 03:35:50 pm »

One of my most memorable Dwarf Fortress moments is the first time I got the message "Urist McDwarf cancels operate pump: Too exhausted."

I suddenly realized that these dwarves are all real people, not just the mindless peons you find in any strategy game. They get tired from hard work, they worry about their future, they have their own hopes and dreams. It all fell into place when I saw that message.
All Races Playable Mod - Minimal mod to play as any race in DF - For 0.50.01

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 05:43:52 pm »

One of my most memorable Dwarf Fortress moments is the first time I got the message "Urist McDwarf cancels operate pump: Too exhausted."

I suddenly realized that these dwarves are all real people, not just the mindless peons you find in any strategy game. They get tired from hard work, they worry about their future, they have their own hopes and dreams. It all fell into place when I saw that message.

I was going to do one of those fix'd jokes but I couldn't think of a good one.  Something like hopes and dreams, blah destroy them blah.
Crush there souls or whatnot.  Actually kinda disappointed in myself. 
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 06:06:13 pm »

That's the point, it wouldn't be as fun to crush their souls if they didn't have souls to begin with.
All Races Playable Mod - Minimal mod to play as any race in DF - For 0.50.01

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 06:08:09 pm »

Exactly, like drowning sims.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 08:48:44 pm »

Except that the sims are somewhat shorter and bearded now, and the pools are warmer.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

truckman1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 06:20:10 pm »

That's the point, it wouldn't be as fun to crush their souls if they didn't have souls to begin with.

Just chiming in to say thanks for the sig.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2011, 09:01:25 pm »

What this message means is that someone else (another adv. mode character) killed the creature you were quested to kill, and you tried to report it's death.
Pages: [1] 2