Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Version Numbers.  (Read 2026 times)

DDouble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Version Numbers.
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2008, 04:02:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Zaratustra:
<STRONG>
The pelagic cannibal carp is so called because it feeds exclusively on members of its own species.
</STRONG>

I'm pretty sure that's impossible for an entire species of organism to gain nutrition ONLY from eating other members of the same species. Simple physics...it would be a closed system, that would gradually wind down through entropy into extinction (assuming that the system could start after a large population was present through other means of consumption).

False, then!

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2008, 04:10:00 pm »

Looney Tunes B-Ball is a video game released for the SNES in 1995.

The player must choose the famous Looney Tunes characters for play some silly Basketball. While in-game the player can set the Wacky Meter for the type of silliness is looking for: the ball can be transformed into a cream pie or a bomb; give the opposing team something to think about as you teleport to the basket or become invisible in the middle of the game.

I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2008, 06:40:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by DDouble:
<STRONG>

I'm pretty sure that's impossible for an entire species of organism to gain nutrition ONLY from eating other members of the same species. Simple physics...it would be a closed system, that would gradually wind down through entropy into extinction (assuming that the system could start after a large population was present through other means of consumption).

False, then!</STRONG>

The sandworms from Arrakis (Dune) are completely cannibalistic. They are the only native creature of the planet, and through a cause-and-effect relationship they auto-regulate their population. Young worms are being chased and eaten by large worms, which leads to development of strength, agility, and skill at evasion. If at any time the grown-ups are too skilled and eat too many yonger worms, the overall quantity of the worms decreases, until the yound worms have more room to live again. If the young worms become too skilled for the older worms, the population drops again until the younger worms grow up. At all times the worms feed on their larval forms that are spread by the grown worms, and the larval forms are the only non-cannibalistic variety of sandworm, feeding on bacteria present in the atmosphere.

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2008, 10:29:00 am »

Yes, but we're talking about real fish, not science fiction fabrications(I did like that book, I never finished it, something happened to it, but I liked what I read.)
Shoes...

Fenrir

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2008, 10:38:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by DDouble:
<STRONG>I'm pretty sure that's impossible for an entire species of organism to gain nutrition ONLY from eating other members of the same species. Simple physics...it would be a closed system, that would gradually wind down through entropy into extinction (assuming that the system could start after a large population was present through other means of consumption).

False, then!</STRONG>

Why are you taking what he said seriously? Did your really think that microwaving a golf ball will make it go farther, or that the three musketeers, fictional characters, are really auto mechanics?

I wonder about the three MUSKETeers, do to their utter lack of MUSKETS.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2008, 10:42:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Sean Mirrsen:
<STRONG>

The sandworms from Arrakis (Dune) are completely cannibalistic. They are the only native creature of the planet, and through a cause-and-effect relationship they auto-regulate their population. Young worms are being chased and eaten by large worms, which leads to development of strength, agility, and skill at evasion. If at any time the grown-ups are too skilled and eat too many yonger worms, the overall quantity of the worms decreases, until the yound worms have more room to live again. If the young worms become too skilled for the older worms, the population drops again until the younger worms grow up. At all times the worms feed on their larval forms that are spread by the grown worms, and the larval forms are the only non-cannibalistic variety of sandworm, feeding on bacteria present in the atmosphere.</STRONG>

Then they don't eat only themselves... the larva eat bacteria...

The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2008, 08:40:00 pm »

But I thought Waff genetically modified them to live in water, and that they expressed an interest in the now edible Phibians, of which there was never an explained description of why the Futars had a dislike of them.
igless

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2008, 08:52:00 pm »

« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 09:54:41 pm by penguinofhonor »

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2008, 05:53:00 am »

Regarding the cannibal fish talk, I recently read about cannibal pike in some north American lake. Pikes in that lake were such a successful invasive specie that they wiped out all other fish. However, pikes need to eat fish to reach sexual maturity. So, cannibalism is the only way to maintain pike population in that lake. Young pikes eat water insects, slightly older pikes eat young pikes, and old pikes eat slightly older pikes.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Ari Rahikkala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2008, 08:06:00 am »

All of the "facts" posted by Zaratustra are obviously false, but for what it's worth the last one did make me chuckle  :).

(there *are* things for which Guinness World Records will not accept new entrants and, according to Wikipedia, has even removed the records for long ago, but they're a bit more practical than what Zaratustra mentioned. For instance, the eating and drinking records were removed because people were choking trying to beat those records, etc.)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2008, 08:16:00 am »

Ripley's 'Believe it or Not' will still post them.

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2008, 08:26:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Mzbundifund:
<STRONG>Some jellyfish and sea anemones are the same species, at different stages in its life cycle.</STRONG>

Not only that, but the Portuguese Man of War is actually four different animals living together, see here.

Mitochondria, the main 'factories' of cells, including human cells, have their own DNA.

[ February 20, 2008: Message edited by: Gigalith ]

Check out my books at O and H Books

Yag Alone

• Bay Watcher
  • Grumpy old fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2008, 11:23:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Ari Rahikkala:
<STRONG>(there *are* things for which Guinness World Records will not accept new entrants and, according to Wikipedia, has even removed the records for long ago, but they're a bit more practical than what Zaratustra mentioned. For instance, the eating and drinking records were removed because people were choking trying to beat those records, etc.)</STRONG>

Unless it was a fake, there used to be a "most deadly terrorist attack" category with a "beat this record" link in the Guinness' website  :roll:

Pages: 1 2 [3]