Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 687 688 [689] 690 691 ... 1133

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1385729 times)

marples

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #10320 on: December 19, 2014, 03:45:49 pm »

If a game says it's got a EULA, read it before buying.

I stupidly didn't and picked up Valkyria Chronicles. Look at this crap. Any new content you make is theirs. You must agree that you don't own the game you just bought (in pretty much those words) in order to play.

I guess it's not the first time I lied about accepting. Meh.
Those two clauses are also in the Steam EULA, you didn't have those rights to begin with (Under the assumption that EULAs are legally enforceable, when in practice they often aren't.)

Slightly Pyrrhic, but http://www.destructoid.com/eu-court-rejects-eulas-says-digital-games-can-be-resold-230641.phtml

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10321 on: December 19, 2014, 03:56:44 pm »

Let's not get into a EULA fight in the sales thread guys...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10322 on: December 19, 2014, 04:04:38 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
:P

Also, very few interesting games (for me) on good sales on Steam so far.

I'm not even considering anywhere else, because I'm Russian. A sale on GOG or Humble Store would have to beat Steam's discount twice over before I'd even consider buying something there at the current exchange rates.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 05:09:02 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #10323 on: December 19, 2014, 04:55:42 pm »

:P
My Spintires EULA.

I've been doing this since 2006.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10324 on: December 19, 2014, 06:40:32 pm »

I stupidly didn't and picked up Valkyria Chronicles. Look at this crap. Any new content you make is theirs. You must agree that you don't own the game you just bought (in pretty much those words) in order to play.

Similarly, the EULA for Spore prevents the use of exported creature models and such, and EA has never licensed the creature creation stuff afaik.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #10325 on: December 19, 2014, 06:47:01 pm »

Similarly, the EULA for Spore prevents the use of exported creature models and such, and EA has never licensed the creature creation stuff afaik.

Now, I don't remember the EULA for Spore, but wouldn't that be primarily a safeguard against people using it as Babby's First Blender, rather than EA STEALIN MUH CREECHURS?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #10326 on: December 19, 2014, 06:49:27 pm »

18 hours left for MS: Flight Sim X. If you like flying, and you want the Acceleration Edition included (F/A 18 Hornet, Red Bull Air Race, and etc.), 5 bucks (-80%) is a hell of a deal right now.

I missed flying. Nice to see it better optimized for Steam. Can't wait for workshop integration. I want my flying pigs and X-Wings, and floating islands to land on.

EDIT:
I'm a better pilot than I regarded myself initially (small craft (like the 'moped of the sky' ultralights) and helicopters are fun to fly, and not too hard to land, provided the wind is favorable; the classic Cessna is also a rather user-friendly craft to fly as well). All I need to really know now is how to read the maps, so I can get the correct radio frequencies, VOR and such, and design a proper flightplan. I used to have a pilot as a roommate, and I learned a whole lot from them. Heck, I was allowed a few minutes of actual flying of a plane with them too. Very cool experience, but a behemoth to learn all that stuff, and to get enough flight hours (day/night/instrumental) and such to get the proper licenses and etc.. I'll stick to the flight simulators and End of the World scenarios where I may be the only other person in my group who knows how to fly and operate a handful of aircraft (or at least understand what an actual pilot's telling me).
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 06:10:11 pm by Itnetlolor »

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10327 on: December 19, 2014, 06:52:06 pm »

Dammit, when will some proper AAA pirate game come around...
Talk to Sid Meier.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

jashman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #10328 on: December 19, 2014, 07:11:29 pm »

Dammit, when will some proper AAA pirate game come around...
Talk to Sid Meier.

Or, assuming it ever actually gets released, see how much of a dumpster-fire Raven's Cry ends up as.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #10329 on: December 19, 2014, 07:14:48 pm »

Borderlands the PreSequel is on sale at 50% off today during the Steam Winter Sales. Worth it?
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10330 on: December 20, 2014, 02:47:46 am »

Borderlands the PreSequel is on sale at 50% off today during the Steam Winter Sales. Worth it?
If you enjoy Borderlands, sure.  If you've played previous titles you'll know what you're getting into as it's basically more of the same with new characters and a handful of extra bells and whistles.  It's shorter than the previous games though - for me it was about 25 hours of gameplay for one solo playthrough on base difficulty.  And for anyone new to the series it's probably not the one to start with, both for story reasons and length to cost ratio.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10331 on: December 20, 2014, 02:38:48 pm »

I already own it, but Prison Architect at £3.99 is a bloody steal.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10332 on: December 20, 2014, 06:55:31 pm »

Assassin's Creed 2 could be a cool game, but I've heard a lot of whine about Uplay. How much of that whine is justified?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10333 on: December 21, 2014, 03:18:13 am »

Bastion is on sale for $3.74 for the next day on the humble store.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10334 on: December 21, 2014, 07:13:16 am »

Assassin's Creed 2 could be a cool game, but I've heard a lot of whine about Uplay. How much of that whine is justified?

Different people seem to have different experiences. Uplay has been breached a couple times in the last....three years? If the service is down, you can't play your games. Generally I've never had a problem with Uplay, after Ubi backed off the psycho drm in favor of a platform. Each game usually has a set of unlockable perks you get for earning in game achievements. For Assassin's Creed 2 it's like extra skins, a couple upgrades.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 687 688 [689] 690 691 ... 1133