Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 966 967 [968] 969 970 ... 1133

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1386039 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread: SUMMER SALES 2017 STICKERS GALORE
« Reply #14505 on: June 23, 2017, 12:11:52 pm »

So I'm only buying stuff I'm sure I'll play for a while:

Rebel Galaxy
I'm not sure you'll play this "for a while".

It felt repetitive, even coming at it from playing dozens of hours of Dungeon Crawl.

Well, I read in the reviews some people found it repetitive.
But I'm a sucker for spaceships and explosions. For 5.99€, I'll be happy if I get 20 hours out of it.
It got repetitive and samey and boring within 2 hours. I don't know if you'll get 20.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14506 on: June 23, 2017, 12:27:05 pm »

For those looking to buy Galciv 3.

I recently bought it when it was on daily deal even after knowing how Stardock keeps raising its price before putting it on sale. Anyway, after 14 hours of play I can say it's...

...okay?

There's nothing particularly special about it so far. It's just Galciv 2 but prettier. The combat is still pretty simplistic as per the series and I've yet to see anything amazing about the AI. I want to say more about it but I really don't know what to say. It's like there's no soul or personality in the game. Also, the lack of sounds is pretty jarring. If you play with the music off, the game might as well be on mute. But if you play with the music on you'll want to tear your ears off after an hour or so.

I'd say approach it like you'd approach Stellaris. Except currently with more DLC.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #14507 on: June 23, 2017, 12:27:45 pm »

Gal Civ is to space sims what vanilla is to ice cream. Standard, bland, inoffensive.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14508 on: June 23, 2017, 12:29:08 pm »

Gal Civ is to space sims what vanilla is to ice cream. Standard, bland, inoffensive.
It does have planet destroyers though, which Stellaris does not have.

That alone puts it at a higher spot in my book.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #14509 on: June 23, 2017, 12:56:05 pm »

I adore Gal Civ 2 and will defend the gold edition (or whatever that's called) to the death.  It *should* be like you describe but its not, its this weird mix of playfully making fun of its own genericness, and a whole-hearted embrace of everything that defines Star Trek.  I can't really describe it, but Civilizations tends to follow a pretty predictable course, like a few civs hopefully including you are going to get powerful and then people are going to DoW each other at random, that's about it.  Galactic Civilizations 2 has this way were you think it will settle into a boring economy fest or easy victory but then somehow it will always surprise you or tell you an interesting story.  The fact that it oozes character especially with the expansion that gives ever race its own tech tree, well so much the better.

Spoiler: example (click to show/hide)

That's not even getting into the silliness that can happen if you have the expansion that adds mega-events.  I've had some real interesting games with those (most of them are designed to effect all civs equally, like splitting every civ into two splinter groups at war with each other or turning a huge chunk of the galaxy into low-quality habitable worlds and causing a second colony rush).

All that being said it is in old game, it aged well but its been like a decade at this point.  I've never seen the point of Galactic Civs 3, at first the reviews were like "maybe it'll be more fun than 2 with some expansions" but then I've never heard any convincing evidence that it did become more fun.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 02:03:32 pm by EnigmaticHat »
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #14510 on: June 23, 2017, 01:19:58 pm »

Might get oneway heroics two as well since it's only $1

I picked up One Way Heroics a few months ago on a sale for a similar amount. I don't know how much I've played it, since I was offline most of the time, but it was definitely worth the price.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14511 on: June 23, 2017, 01:38:16 pm »

It's always been a standout to me because of the spectacular AI.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14512 on: June 23, 2017, 01:54:58 pm »

I have yet to see any example of spectacular AI in this third game. In fact, I quite often see the space hamsters declare war on me for no reason, do nothing for 40 turns, and then end the war. I suspect that might just be part of their personality though.

But I've yet to see anything surprise me.

They're really reasonable with the diplomacy though.

But we should probably stop talking about this now. Back to the sales.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #14513 on: June 23, 2017, 02:11:45 pm »

I rate it 3/10 influence starbases built next to my planet so they wouldn't have to fight my allies.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14514 on: June 23, 2017, 02:50:22 pm »

I have yet to see any example of spectacular AI in this third game. In fact, I quite often see the space hamsters declare war on me for no reason, do nothing for 40 turns, and then end the war. I suspect that might just be part of their personality though.

But I've yet to see anything surprise me.

They're really reasonable with the diplomacy though.

But we should probably stop talking about this now. Back to the sales.
What difficulty? Haven't played much of III, but previously the AI explicitly became stupider in (IIRC) the lowest ~60-70% of settings, incrementally.

As for the sale, fuck it. Only game I actually want isn't on sale.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14515 on: June 27, 2017, 10:14:27 am »

Stellaris has a great improvement imo over gal civ. It needs more content however, I definitely want some planet destroyers.

I really wish Civ Beyond Earth wasn't much of a disappointment it was. Thank god I can still play Alpha Centauri.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14516 on: June 27, 2017, 04:05:44 pm »

I'd steer clear of GalCiv3 - it's just not worth it. I've kept on going back and trying (really, really trying) to get into it, but it's just not a good enough game.

GalCiv2 was amazing because it did generic space 4x so well. It was literally the perfect end product of 4x games up until then. Unfortunately, GalCiv3 is basically the same but missing a lot of content and the polish that made GalCiv2 so good. It's not a functionally bad game, it's just that it's something we've had 1000 times before, and worse; it's not as good as the game it's supposed to be a sequel to.

Steer clear, unless you have literally played every other 4x game out there.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14517 on: June 27, 2017, 04:16:47 pm »

I feel like I've seen that exact post not too long ago.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #14518 on: June 27, 2017, 06:11:14 pm »

Some good deals this season...but mostly on games I already own.

I considered Earth Defense Force 4.1 for a bit...but ultimately decided against after I discovered the limitations of the online component.

I'll keep doing queues, but all I'm looking at getting right now is Crashlands(-60%), Transistor(-85%), and Lisa(-50%). Maaaaaabe Sakura Dungeon(-40%).

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #14519 on: June 27, 2017, 06:17:26 pm »

I considered Earth Defense Force 4.1 for a bit...but ultimately decided against after I discovered the limitations of the online component.
What limitations do you speak of? I've been playing the game with my friends and it's been working rather well. Granted, the menus are kind of clunky, but the game runs seamlessly, to the point where I can't see any difference between singleplayer and online in terms of responsiveness--and I'm not the one hosting.
Pages: 1 ... 966 967 [968] 969 970 ... 1133