Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 990 991 [992] 993 994 ... 1132

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1369891 times)

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread: GOG, Steam, Humble, your mom has games to buy
« Reply #14865 on: January 06, 2018, 10:33:16 pm »

I think it's pretty worth it. Although I don't get a lot of stuff I love, I get some keys to gift to my young cousins that eat through games, and also to my girlfriend or friends.
And on each bundle, at least one game from my wishlist (that has around 180 games) was on it, and at least one "neat" thing. Will take ages to get to play them, but its great to have it.
It also happens that a new game might be coming out, and I may have its prequel from a previous bundle. So if it interests me, I can simply install and check it out.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14866 on: January 17, 2018, 04:10:25 pm »

I have a spare steam gift for Killing Floor, pm me if you want that.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14868 on: January 23, 2018, 03:24:26 pm »

There's a Paradox bundle over at Humble Bundle. If you are at all interested in Pillars of Eternity, $6 for it is a really good deal.

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/paradox-bundle-2018

Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

ventuswings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14869 on: January 23, 2018, 05:28:08 pm »

Is Stellaris at $12 worth it without all the DLCs?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14870 on: January 23, 2018, 05:30:41 pm »

That's a pretty good-looking bundle right there.

Unrelated, but I received a 25%-off coupon(for owning Starbound) for something called Staxel. A lot of reviews regard it as Stardew Valley with voxels. Has anyone here tried it?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #14871 on: January 23, 2018, 05:31:55 pm »

I'd say yes, specifically because it will very soon receive the 2.0 patch which will improve almost every aspect of the game and add new free content

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #14872 on: January 23, 2018, 07:33:38 pm »

Unrelated, but I received a 25%-off coupon(for owning Starbound) for something called Staxel. A lot of reviews regard it as Stardew Valley with voxels. Has anyone here tried it?

Sappho did a short review of it
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14873 on: January 23, 2018, 08:37:24 pm »

That's nice.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #14874 on: January 23, 2018, 09:03:13 pm »

That's nice.
agreed, it does look pretty good. Nice review as well

ventuswings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14875 on: January 23, 2018, 09:55:01 pm »

I'd say yes, specifically because it will very soon receive the 2.0 patch which will improve almost every aspect of the game and add new free content
Thank you. The fact that it's still getting free updates is good news to hear. I'll search around a bit more since there's plenty of time, but leaning toward getting it.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14876 on: January 24, 2018, 09:18:11 pm »

Thank you. The fact that it's still getting free updates is good news to hear. I'll search around a bit more since there's plenty of time, but leaning toward getting it.
Just be aware that it is a Paradox game, so half the content is going to be locked behind $50-150 of DLC. Maybe we'll be lucky and none of the updates will patch the game with mechanics that make it virtually unplayable unless you pay for mechanics in the DLC to counteract the first set. *COUGH TRYING TO PLAY A COUNTRY IN EU4 THAT GETS CONSTANT FAMINE EVENT SPAM TO TURN ALL PROVINCES INTO GARBAGE DUMPS THAT CAN'T BE IMPROVED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE DLC COUGH*

I wish I was joking. Had a pre-unification Japan campaign once. By the time I reached the Urals/India I was getting dozens of those every year and the "barren Mongolian steppes with no redeeming value" level of province had become the normal level of development, a few lucky urban centers aside. And not having the appropriate DLC meant I couldn't build any of them back up. Any trust I had in Paradox died there.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 09:40:45 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14877 on: January 24, 2018, 09:23:14 pm »

I think there's a psychological aspect here. if the DLC didn't exist then most people would probably be happy with the game just as it shipped. Then some companies make paid DLC, as a way of extending the game, but also to create tiers e.g. you can pay for a little game, or a lot of game. Now, people are unhappy, and it's not necessarily because they got any more or less "amount of game" per dollar spent.

So, should companies create a "no choices" game where it's one size fits all, or should they create games where there are additional bundles, and you can decide if it's worth your paying for each of the bundles. I think the only people really upset are the completionists who have to have all of the expansions, every single optional vehicle, etc, no matter how tangential each thing is to the core experience. Basically, if no choices exist then life is easier for the completionists, since you don't get upset about not having what doesn't exist.

The additional DLC for Stellaris is additional game material, which cost additional money for Paradox to produce. And the market is limited for that - a subset of people who bought Stellaris will buy each pack, so the price for the content factors the limited market for each pack into it. Creating additional content after the game is launched is a good thing - it means people  who bought the core game and finished it can spend a few bucks - only if they want to - and get a fresh experience. The fact that they've created lots of new content for the game you already bought shouldn't be a negative. Would it be a better world if the DLC just didn't exist?

Also, think about this, they could make a $20 DLC pack each 12 months, or they could do the traditional thing, and make a $60 "Stellaris 2" three years on, and basically flip the bird at people still playing Stellaris 1.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 09:58:07 pm by Reelya »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14878 on: January 24, 2018, 09:41:55 pm »

The problem I have with Paradox is that they use DLC as a way to patch broken/bad vanilla mechanics and introduce new mechanics which make the game worse if you don't buy the paid portion of them.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14879 on: January 24, 2018, 09:42:53 pm »

Just be aware that it is a Paradox games, so half the content is going to be locked behind $50-150 of DLC. Maybe we'll be lucky and none of the updates will patch the game with mechanics that make it virtually unplayable unless you pay for mechanics in the DLC to counteract the first set. *COUGH TRYING TO PLAY A COUNTRY IN EU4 THAT GETS CONSTANT FAMINE EVENT SPAM TO TURN ALL PROVINCES INTO GARBAGE DUMPS THAT CAN'T BE IMPROVED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE DLC COUGH*

I wish I was joking. Had a pre-unification Japan campaign once. By the time I reached the Urals/India I was getting dozens of those every year and the "barren Mongolian steppes with no redeeming value" level of province had become the normal level of development, a few lucky urban centers aside. And not having the appropriate DLC meant I couldn't build any of them back up. Any trust I had in Paradox died there.
I've almost literally never had that event happen to me. I do remember all the events boosting development without my input though. I only got Common Sense recently, and the only time I've developed provinces has been when I hit a cap on monarch points.

Stellaris also has nowhere near the amount of DLC EUIV has, and a lot of it you don't really miss if you don't have it.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 990 991 [992] 993 994 ... 1132