Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 991 992 [993] 994 995 ... 1133

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1386393 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread: GOG, Steam, Humble, your mom has games to buy
« Reply #14880 on: January 24, 2018, 10:17:35 pm »

Stellaris is also far younger than EU4 or CK2.  If we take CK2 and EU4 as our baseline, we can expect Stellaris to see regular updates and concomitant DLC for at least half a decade.  That may be good or bad depending on if you like the new features, given that the Stellaris team seems to be much more willing to play fast and loose with core gameplay compared to the other Paradox dev teams.  Stellaris v2.0 seems to be a much more extensive overhaul than most of the other games have received judging by what we know, and discussion there has been a bit heated at times. 

I think I'm generally in accord with Reelya here, though it should be noted for the sake of bias that I do have a bit of an emotional attachment to a company whose work I've followed since...oh, heavens, Europa Universalis 1 back in 2001-2002.  The old model was in fact very similar to that which was outlined with a minor caveat.  To wit, the older model for game development Paradox followed was slightly more generous than the "EA Sports" model of a new version like clockwork; rather, they released new expansion packs that completely superseded older versions.  Subsequent patches were released primarily and eventually solely for these new expansion packs, leaving those players who did not purchase the expansion packs entirely out of luck.  The official reasons for the new DLC policy were to avoid this and increase version intercompatibility; a player who does not own a DLC can still play with players who do own the DLC, as well as still enjoying the latest bug fixes and free features.  The unofficial reason was probably money, to be cynical; DLC may be individually less expensive and more optional, but in aggregate it does cost a fair bit more.  I at least take advantage of cherrypicking and sales where and when I can to deal with that issue.

By the bye, I fully expect the DLC policy to bite them on the posterior for the precise reason it has EA/Maxis and The Sims.  At some point, they won't be able to keep strapping new features onto the old core game without the entire mess collapsing.  At some point, in other words, they'll need to create Crusader Kings 3 or Europa Universalis 5.  At that time, they won't have the luxury of years of continuous development solely on the new game, so the new base game will almost certainly be released lacking features from the previous version that at least some players will value highly.  This happened with EU4: on release, many people immediately compared it to EU3 plus expansions and found it wanting, even considering that the fanbase does tend to be a bit ornery at times. 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 10:20:19 pm by Culise »

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #14881 on: January 25, 2018, 08:56:54 pm »

I for one love their DLC policy. What other company actively develops a game for 5+ years, adding new features all the way? Crusader Kings was pretty shallow in 2012 (many people actually liked CK1 better at first, but they still did OK and the franchise is still alive). Here it is, 6 years and 14 expansion packs later, and the amount of content added is HUGE. Even if you buy only the base game, it's still MUCH improved from all the free content that came with all of the expansions. I have 10 of the expansions, and I eventually plan on buying the other 4 the next time I see a good sale or bundle on them. They often have the whole pack with everything except the latest expansion on sale for something like $50. And the expansions are regularly on sale for 50% off.

Sims 3 and 4 did fine too. The initial content was lame in comparison to the fully fleshed out older ones, but people still bought the flashy new games and then shelled out for the new DLC too.

Stellaris is about to add a ton of free content, including a big chunk of the stuff added with their Utopia expansion. It remains to be seen if the huge changes will be fun ones, but they did a good job on most of the CK2 changes over the years so I expect it will end up alright. If things are taken very poorly they'll continue to tweak it until it's fun. I remember a few terrible patches over the years on the CK2 franchise as well.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14882 on: January 26, 2018, 09:53:32 am »

Free stuff. For the three of you who don't own the Amnesia games already, you no longer have to buy them for $35.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #14883 on: January 26, 2018, 09:56:27 am »

The thing is though... Why do i want another game I will be too afraid of to play?
Love, scriver~

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14884 on: January 26, 2018, 10:00:24 am »

Bragging rights. "Look how big my Steam library is! I have so many games that I suffer from choice paralysis! I want to play a game, look at how many games I have, and then just don't play anything!"

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14885 on: January 26, 2018, 10:07:22 am »

Amnesia literally gives me a splitting headache within 2 minutes (I suspect it's one of the background sounds), so that's one I'm going to pass on.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14886 on: January 26, 2018, 10:51:25 am »

You've actually finished the whole game, Teneb, you've just blanked it from you mind.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #14887 on: January 26, 2018, 12:28:33 pm »

Never had an interest in Amnesia but free is free. Thanks for the heads up.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #14888 on: January 26, 2018, 12:44:57 pm »

That's a pretty good-looking bundle right there.

Unrelated, but I received a 25%-off coupon(for owning Starbound) for something called Staxel. A lot of reviews regard it as Stardew Valley with voxels. Has anyone here tried it?
Those system requirements on Steam are placeholders, or it's really eats more RAM than any game have any right to?

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14889 on: January 26, 2018, 01:00:27 pm »

Staxel is pretty fun. Let's continue the Stardew Valley comparison a bit farther.

You want to raise some chickens so you go to the store and buy a coop sign. You place it down and it's just an outline of a cube. That cube is the interior of your coop. You place down the required items (I haven't checked the coop specifically; presumably this would be one or two troughs and one or two nests). You build some walls around them and put a roof on it, now you've got a coop.

You want a larger house? Rather than going to the store and buying a house expansion, you whip out your hammer and knock down a wall.

There's no booze that I've seen thus far but "grow crop and put it in a processor to increase its value" does exist. The example I saw was a sweet potato going for 90 petals while cut sweet potatoes went for 120.

It's not exactly Stardew Valley (no marriages, no replenishing mine) and there are a few issues currently (no way to regrow trees, though you're on a somewhat massive island so it won't be an issue for a while). I've enjoyed my time with it.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14890 on: January 26, 2018, 05:25:46 pm »

It's not exactly Stardew Valley (no marriages, no replenishing mine) and there are a few issues currently (no way to regrow trees, though you're on a somewhat massive island so it won't be an issue for a while). I've enjoyed my time with it.

According to devs, they're planning on making acorns plantable, and they recommend the mod that already allows this in the meantime. The devs have also said they may add some kind of friendship system, but not marriage, though the system could be modded to do that.

My experience with it; everything is liquid diabetes for the eyes. There's literally almost no bare ground anywhere, it's all covered in grass and flowers and things. The characters are likable. Since I spent a little too much money on pet food and not crop seeds, I've taken to refining wood - which does yield a profit like food processing does. 1 raw wood = 3 petals(game currency), it takes 4 raw wood to make fine lumber(2 for lumber, 2 lumber for fine), which sells for 16 petals apiece. I single tree can sell for 200-300 petals. My house... is still a wreck. After building a shanty of a cow barn, I spent the last of my wood blocks patching the gaping hole in the wall between my bedroom and bathroom.

There is an implied booze in the game, called sap. Apparently, the tutorial girl is an alcoholic according to the tavernkeeper.

Those system requirements on Steam are placeholders, or it's really eats more RAM than any game have any right to?

Placeholders, from what I gather. I do get some stuttering, but I also get a very similar stuttering on Minecraft on any decent settings.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14891 on: January 26, 2018, 06:12:26 pm »

Elite Dangerous (75% off) and the Horizons Season Pass (50% off) on sale at the Steam Store (and I think the Humble Store has the same discount).

If you're getting both I recommend the Commander Thingamajig Pack Extreme Whatsitsname Indeed Verily Edition, you get both at nearly the same price and a bunch of skins for your ships almost for free.

marples

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14892 on: January 27, 2018, 06:44:24 am »

Key for King Arthur's Gold. TY0IG-XCEP6-MZL36

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #14893 on: January 27, 2018, 11:52:19 am »

Elite Dangerous (75% off) and the Horizons Season Pass (50% off) on sale at the Steam Store (and I think the Humble Store has the same discount).

If you're getting both I recommend the Commander Thingamajig Pack Extreme Whatsitsname Indeed Verily Edition, you get both at nearly the same price and a bunch of skins for your ships almost for free.

You're still paying $1.51 for the ugly skins, though. Are they really worth that much?  :P
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14894 on: January 28, 2018, 10:05:02 am »

Key for King Arthur's Gold. TY0IG-XCEP6-MZL36

I don't think that's how it works. Key is unique to you I believe.
At least, steam says it's duplicate when I try to put it in. Also what's King Arthur's Gold anyway?
Pages: 1 ... 991 992 [993] 994 995 ... 1133