Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1012 1013 [1014] 1015 1016 ... 1132

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1369765 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread: Lukewarm Summer Sales
« Reply #15195 on: July 09, 2018, 12:32:12 pm »

I enjoy Rise to Ruins a lot. I agree that the game flow isn't very clear. Objectives are not clearly laid out because there's still a chunk of the game (unlocking technologies over multiple playthroughs) isn't in yet.

But with sandbox mode and being able to customize how long it takes before all hell breaks loose, I find it one of the more relaxing village sims out there. It's feature rich, has a good balance of micro and macro management, tower defense planning, a few cute spells to use....

It's one of those games I don't worry about if it's not perfect yet. The dev is really communicative and has worked on this game for a long time now, constantly refining, constantly polishing, constantly optimizing. It's one of those games I'm happy to own and revisit every 6 months as he adds yet more stuff.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #15196 on: July 09, 2018, 01:31:18 pm »

Agreed. Lots of stuff added in the last few months, I think. I need to fire it up again to see what's changed.

But, basically you just need to build a village and balance expanding it vs defending it at night from the monsters. That's your overarching goal for any particular map. So like most strategy settlement games, and many strategy games in general, you balance your growth between your economy and your defenses. So if you don't produce enough food for your people, add more farms. If you need more houses, build more houses. If you need a new resource or refinement to a resource, you get that. And during all of that you need to decide how you are going to defend your settlement and build up defenses fast enough to keep up with both the increasing monster attacks and your spreading village size.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #15197 on: July 09, 2018, 08:48:35 pm »

Risk of Rain, Hopoo's roguelike-ish side-scrolling shooter, is currently 2.49 USD, from 10.00 USD earlier.

It's Risk of Rain. You stroll around a map wielding a gun (usually), picking up items from crates and the like that are, in turn, from the ship that you were on that crashed.

You need to head over to a teleporter and fight a boss to escape. The longer you take, the more difficult life gets.

I'm pretty sure there's a multiplayer option, but I've never seen it.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15198 on: July 09, 2018, 10:08:56 pm »

Risk of Rain

I think co-op is hotseat? Most of the classes felt like they were designed to be played in a team and are painfully awful on their own.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15199 on: July 10, 2018, 02:22:31 am »

Risk of Rain

I think co-op is hotseat? Most of the classes felt like they were designed to be played in a team and are painfully awful on their own.

I don't know what you mean by hotseat - you can play it local coop as in all on the same PC, or you can play it lan/online. It was my go to multiplayer game with friends for a while.

It's much harder alone, but definitely not impossible - you just have to play a bit differently.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15200 on: July 11, 2018, 06:38:19 am »

The game does have some game breaking bugs that the dev refuses to fix. Memory leaks and the like. That’s why I’m not buying it.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #15201 on: July 11, 2018, 08:20:06 am »

... does it? I've played the thing to completion more than a few times on a pretty trash computer, often cheating wildly (i.e. being far more excessive on items and extra levels and whatnot than the game's intended for), and never noticed a problem.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15202 on: July 11, 2018, 11:39:32 am »

I wanna say there's a memory leak with one specific item (Hyper Threader?), but when I've really gone overboard with grinding I've managed to crash it. I'm talking going to Boar Beach, waiting for several hundred piglets to spawn, then doing something that kills all of them at once and chains effects off their deaths. And this on a decent computer.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15203 on: July 11, 2018, 03:48:31 pm »

... does it? I've played the thing to completion more than a few times on a pretty trash computer, often cheating wildly (i.e. being far more excessive on items and extra levels and whatnot than the game's intended for), and never noticed a problem.

Yep, RoR is a mess. My experience has been frequent repeatable crashes, issues with controller detection and assigning, framerate death, and desync errors in online multiplayer. I've experienced these on multiple high-end systems, and on Windows, OS X, and Linux.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15204 on: July 11, 2018, 04:52:46 pm »

I never saw any serious bugs - nothing game breaking after a serious amount of play (solo and multiplayer).

The big issue is that this was made in gamemaker which is a pretty awful engine for a commercial game - especially for games with a lot going on/particle effects etc.I know there were some bugs/issues that flat out couldn't be fixed due to them being hardcoded into the engine, but I never came across them.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #15205 on: July 17, 2018, 09:54:34 pm »

Fortnite: Save the World is 50% off until July 30th!

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #15206 on: July 18, 2018, 08:05:05 pm »

Didn't they say they'd eventually have it out for free this year?

Or have things changed since then?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #15207 on: July 18, 2018, 09:36:59 pm »

Alright so, I have two keys for the Magic the Gathering: Arena beta to give away to card-loving forumites. First come first serve, no escaped lunatics, have to be registered for at least one month, and please send me a PM if you want it. It's rather late, so I'll likely only deliver early tomorrow.

EDIT: Shadowlord already claimed one, but I still have one to give away.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 09:49:39 am by Teneb »
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15208 on: July 19, 2018, 09:18:55 am »

Oh right, I've got a few as well if people want them.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #15209 on: July 19, 2018, 01:50:06 pm »

I'm a fan of MTG, but in the past have been unable to get excited for the PC iterations of their game that did not involve some adventuring aspects. I'd kind of like to give this new one a try, but not super excited as it doesn't seem to really do anything new or different.
If there's extra keys floating around that nobody else wants, I will at least put one to use.
Pages: 1 ... 1012 1013 [1014] 1015 1016 ... 1132