Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1013 1014 [1015] 1016 1017 ... 1133

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1386538 times)

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
Re: SALES Thread: Lukewarm Summer Sales
« Reply #15210 on: July 19, 2018, 04:07:23 pm »

Giveaways by individuals isn't really on topic.
There are actually quite a few topics semi active for those.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #15211 on: July 19, 2018, 10:31:04 pm »

Enter The Gungeon is now 50% off on Steam, bringing its price from 14.99 USD down to 7.49. This sale will end Monday at 10 am Pacific Time.

Incidentially, on July 19, they released their "Advanced Gungeons and Draguns" update, which includes:

• A new boss - The Resourceful Rat!

That's right, you now have an opportunity to finally kill that asshat who's been stealing your ammo and items.
  • Over 500 new synergies between weapons!

I haven't played it enough to confidently say what synergies are, but as far as I can tell, they're a combination of weapon and passive item that makes the weapon behave more effectively in some manner (maybe it now covers a wider area of the screen, or simply inflicts more damage while looking cooler).

On a related note, you may run into an NPC selling a synergy-completing service - you'll immediatlely get an item that will synergize with an item you already have for a price. Freeing her from the Gungeon's depths (which is how you unlock pretty much every NPC in the game) will also allow a special type of chest to spawn.
  • An NPC that can increase the speed your game plays.
  • More generous drops and shops, along with a few quality of life changes.
  • The ability to slide over tables. Whee!
  • More weapons, enemies, rooms, and ammo types.
  • Secret Thingies.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15212 on: July 20, 2018, 12:02:19 am »

I've played a bit. There's a ton of oddball synergies... having two particular guns will cause the one you're not wielding to orbit you and fire at stuff. some of them add alternate fire mods for guns, one pair will combine from two pistols into an assault rifle. one set gives flight, there's several that change how guns work mechanically like changing bullets into grenades... there's too many to list.

There's also more than one extra boss. If you like roguelike shmups the game's a bargain for that sale price.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15213 on: July 20, 2018, 06:25:46 am »

More interactions and passives, the kind you find in Binding of Isaac, are indeed more of what I wanted in EtG. Perhaps not the sheer item count, but certainly more passives and not just every run where you get six dozen guns and that's it.

I've killed the past with all eligible characters, bought everything that costs credits, but haven't managed to kill the lich. The thing about Isaac is that the randomness of the item selections (with clearly powerful passives like brimstone, or combinations like low tear delay + strong tear effects) make the game winnable on an RNG basis for players like me who suck.

Edit: Actually, I think I've killed the lich twice but die in bullet hell before reaching the actual boss there.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 06:27:22 am by Niveras »

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15214 on: July 20, 2018, 10:39:52 am »

Also worth noting that Enter the Gungeon is 50% off on the Nintendo e-shop if you'd prefer to play it on the Switch.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15215 on: July 20, 2018, 05:11:00 pm »

Also worth noting that Enter the Gungeon is 50% off on the Nintendo e-shop if you'd prefer to play it on the Switch.

My roommate picked it up yesterday for the switch and it crashed once and a boss bugged out another time.  I'm hoping it was just really bad luck for him.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

vastaghen12

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME_SUPPORT: ANY_COMPUTER:1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15216 on: July 20, 2018, 10:53:49 pm »

Shadow of war is 66% of steam. Price 21 dollars.

Is the game worth it? I just remember there being an outrage about the microtransactions in Single player.

Sort of liked the first one, but It got stale kind of quickly, has this one got more varied gameplay or is just the same?

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15217 on: July 20, 2018, 11:04:35 pm »

Microtransactions have been completely patched out now (it's crazy to think that actually happened). I haven't played it though so I can't comment about gameplay.

EDIT: Decided to look at the store page. Turns out they also created a demo so you could download that and see if you like it. It still uses denuvo DRM so if you still care about ideological battles, that might be a factor in your purchasing decision.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 11:50:42 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #15218 on: July 20, 2018, 11:12:49 pm »

Largely an incremental upgrade to the first one. There's definitely more of everything, but if you got bored with the first one I assume you'll get bored somewhat slower with the second. Whether that's going to involve $21 worth of entertainment or not is kind of a personal judgement call.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #15219 on: July 21, 2018, 07:13:21 am »

Welp, since I already have some 4 or so games involving emergent storytelling (maybe up that to about ten or more if you count ones I have but don't play) - enough randomly generated elements that the game essentially makes a story on its own without a writer having to push the player into said story - and since I just bought about $17 in games this week already, I'm gonna pass it over.

There's also the fact it probably wouldn't run well at all on my laptop, which doesn't help matters.

vastaghen12

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME_SUPPORT: ANY_COMPUTER:1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15220 on: July 21, 2018, 08:13:33 am »

EDIT: Decided to look at the store page. Turns out they also created a demo so you could download that and see if you like it. It still uses denuvo DRM so if you still care about ideological battles, that might be a factor in your purchasing decision.

Hmm didnt notice the demo, I'll try that and make my own mind, thank you!

Welp, since I already have some 4 or so games involving emergent storytelling

Do you recommend any of those four, kinda longing for some decent SP game.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #15221 on: July 21, 2018, 09:39:57 am »

Crusader Kings II is, well, kinda emergent I guess? Your objective is (IIRC) to get as much score as possible - Prestige, wealth, and Piety, and you can set mini-goals for yourself through the "ambition" system.

Aside from that, however, anything goes. By hook or by crook is pretty much how things seem to be done.

Do be warned that a good deal of the game's content is DLC.

Also, a lot of weird shit can be found in CKII - check out r/shitcrusaderkings2says or something like that. Maybe it was just r/shitcrusaderkingssays. The "learning scenario" directs you to plot your own brother's death - it was the Middle Ages, things were kinda like that back then.

Darkest Dungeon has, with the exception of one gamemode explicitly stated to be the harder of the three available difficulties, no time pressure to complete the main quest at all.

Your heroes are all randomly generated, as are the quest maps. Unpredictable combat (maybe you'll finally hit that backrow asshole, or maybe he'll survive long enough to land three crits one after the other) and relatively high-stakes (the amount of time and resources spent on getting a hero to survive to Resolve Level 6 means it hurts on both a practical and an emotional level when they die).

There's some DLC content in the form of a new area (The Crimson Court), an endless mode (The Color of Madness), and new heroes (The Crimson Court, Shieldbreaker, Musketeer [Sort of]).

Heat Signature is basically scifi sneakybeaky Hotline Miami. Each character you play as has their own personal mission - something bad has happened and they need to do the mission to make things right.

But before they can perform the mission, they gotta get some money first, and that requires wetwork. "Kill this person", "hijack this ship", "steal this thing", and so on.

The random generation of levels, guards, and objectives means that your tales may end in triumph, defeat, or even just somewhere in between.

Mount & Blade Warband is a game where you don't really have any specific goal. Once you have enough experience, money, land, and other possessions like that, you can retire your adventurer to get a final score listing.

Between the start and the end, though, a lot of things can happen, but a lot of the time they involve building up a small army so you can eventually bring big armies to bigger battles and have a hand in the fates of kingdoms.

I might as well describe some of the other games (though I might have exaggerated when I said over ten including ones I don't play, since some of the "storytelling" there requires a good deal of imagination on the player's part).

Oolite is Elite, but free. Like Mount and Blade: Warband, you're thrust into a world with the bare minimum of necessities and you need to scratch out a living. Rather than a sword-fighting game, however, this is more akin to a flight simulator of some kind, as you spend a lot of the game in the cockpit of whatever ship you own.

I must warn you that travelling in between planets can get a little... tedious.

Dwarf Fortress's emergent storytelling is probably pretty obvoius - The sheer number of stories that have been recorded will probably do the arguing for me better than I can.

Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead is, well... a lot of changes are happening to the game, but the random generation of cities (and therefore item placement) mean that, again, your survivor's story may take all sorts of different twists and turns.

The old XCOM games, like the new ones, have soldiers you build up to a degree. Like in Darkest Dungeon, losing experienced soldiers is both surprisingly easy and surprisingly crushing - though admittedy somewhat less so since in old XCOM you have explosives, not affected by firing accuracy.

Streets of Rogue - Granted, I only own the demo, but I still think that it qualifies, since, again, quest for completing missions can go all sorts of ways.

Survival Crisis Z - Doesn't run too well on modern OSes, but I think it's worth a mention since it's free. Isometric arcade-ish survival game about trying to stay alive in a city filled with the undead.

Aurora 4x - I don't understand this game at all, but if it's like Dwarf Fortress at all, there's probably some stories that'll unfold over the course of gameplay.

I dunno if any of them are what you're looking for, but in any case, that's the list.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #15222 on: July 21, 2018, 12:44:17 pm »

How about Oxygen Not Included_
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15223 on: July 21, 2018, 12:57:41 pm »

I'd like something with a proper procedural narrative instead of just procedural game mechanics, if you know what I mean. i.e. character-centric narrative that is adaptive. That's obviously a lot harder to create.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15224 on: July 21, 2018, 01:34:53 pm »

http://www.gearheadrpg.com/

This guy's been working on a procedural story system for his games, though it's a little rough around the edges right now. Still, he does talk about some of the work he's done on it if you want to learn about it along with playing it.
Nothing important here, move along.
Pages: 1 ... 1013 1014 [1015] 1016 1017 ... 1133