Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1014 1015 [1016] 1017 1018 ... 1133

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1386413 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread: Lukewarm Summer Sales
« Reply #15225 on: July 23, 2018, 09:03:43 pm »

Gearhead would indeed be a free example to look out. Two moreso than the original, iirc. Maybe not the most amazing things in the world, but they do the job of getting you from point A giant robot deathmatch to point B giant robot deathmatch.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15226 on: July 26, 2018, 07:52:43 pm »

Just this dropped right now I think: https://www.humblebundle.com/store/guns-of-icarus-alliance

Guns of Icarus alliance is free on humble at the moment
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #15227 on: July 28, 2018, 02:41:41 pm »

So I saw the games from the guys who did Bastion are on sale today, 80% for the two older and 60% for the newest.

Are the ones that are not Bastion a lot like Bastion?
Love, scriver~

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #15228 on: July 28, 2018, 02:55:28 pm »

So I saw the games from the guys who did Bastion are on sale today, 80% for the two older and 60% for the newest.

They are both great stuff, but play differently from Bastion (though Transistor is the closest of the two). Transistor is more tactical, allowing you to pause in order to use abilities and chain combos (and you'll need it), while Pyre is about this weird ritual sport that totally does not remind me of 'murrican football handegg. Pyre is my favorite of the bunch, but others may disagree.

They are all, however, very much worth it.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15229 on: July 29, 2018, 12:09:52 pm »

As Teneb said, they're both very different, in gameplay, themes and even art style.

Transistor is more of a turn-based game than anything else. The game is real-time with the ability to pause and queue up actions which then plays out. Then you run around a bit while your meter recharges, or try using abilities in the real-time mode. Every ability you have acts differently whether you have it as an active, passive, or enhancement on a different ability, which gives a lot of flexibility. The gameplay rewards you for experimenting with different styles by unlocking new lore on characters and the world as you try new things.

Transistor has a interesting aesthetic and story but to me it felt it went too far into obscurity - it didn't feel finished to me, and lacked the wonderfully complete nature of Bastion's story.
I'd still recommend it, but only on sale.

Pyre. Pyre is strange.
It's a sports game crossed with a visual novel. It's very pretty to look at, and the worldbuilding is fantastic. It starts off very strongly with the characters being likeable and diverse. The freedom mechanic where you choose one of your strongest characters to be liberated (assuming you win, or indeed assuming you don't let your opponent win) ensures you keep utilising different characters and don't stick with the same three all game. The different species play quite differently and I think they patched in an ironman mode as well.
The downside (heh) of this is that after a while none of the characters get as much focus as they deserve because they have to be prepared for any character to potentially have gone, which is a shame.

Again, I'd still recommend it. I'm not sure if I'd recommend it at full price, though.

Honestly like them or not I'd still say buy them to support the developer, because Supergiant are certainly trying new and interesting things each time.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15230 on: August 02, 2018, 11:24:05 am »

The entire Endless series of games (Endless Space 1 & 2, Endless Legend, Dungeon of the Endless) and their DLCs are on sale (and on free weekend) on Steam given the release of new expansions for both Endless Space 2 and Endless Legend.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15231 on: August 02, 2018, 01:50:44 pm »

The entire Endless series of games (Endless Space 1 & 2, Endless Legend, Dungeon of the Endless) and their DLCs are on sale (and on free weekend) on Steam given the release of new expansions for both Endless Space 2 and Endless Legend.

For those that haven't tried them, I'd recommend all of them but there are some caveats:

Endless Legend is great, but only if you get the DLCs - you don't need all of them, but they add a lot. I got them in the last big bundle so I can't really say how much each is worth or which ones to go for, but I played it without DLC and thought it was pretty rubbish, and played it with and thought it was great.
Dungeon of the Endless is really fun with friends - it's ok without, but it gets hard really quick.
Endless Space 2 is good, but not amazing - I'd recommend it for space 4x fans on a deep discount but otherwise there are better ones about. It's very 'polished' but not very deep.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15232 on: August 02, 2018, 02:02:33 pm »

For what it's worth, the AI in Endless Legend has always been criminally stupid. Don't buy it expecting any kind of sane play, or even to have the factions actually use their faction abilities most of the time.

I'm actually not a fan of some of the DLC content, either, but if you can get it on sale, might as well.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15233 on: August 02, 2018, 02:25:19 pm »

IMO the Dungeon is the only one legitimately great. It's a small game with interesting mechanics and fantastic atmosphere that can be replayed over and over - FTL style.
Legend and Space enjoy high-quality aesthetics, but both suffer from unchallenging mid-to-late gameplay. You can buff the AI with bonuses, but that only adds more tedium rather than any fun. However, both games can be played in 'story mode', so to speak. Where you don't care that much about winning strategically, and just role-play your faction and maybe follow quests to complete the faction storyline.
E.g., I've found it great fun to play EL as the cultist faction this way. Building the greatest city, questing with your heroes, protecting your converts.
DLCs for EL are very much optional. They just add more shit, rather than fixing some deficiencies. Even all the new mechanics feel crammed in. Good once you get bored with vanilla content.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15234 on: August 03, 2018, 01:45:40 pm »

I agree that the AI isn't great, although you might want to try the Improved AI mod (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=851891695) - it doesn't fix it completely but it does make the AI a hell of a lot less stupid.

That plus giving the AI a few bonuses gives me enough of a challenge to have fun with the RPG/quest aspect of it and not roflstomp everyone.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #15235 on: August 13, 2018, 11:14:52 am »

Paradoxplaza has a 75% sale on EU4 and DLC.
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #15236 on: August 13, 2018, 10:28:30 pm »

Steam has some decent prices on some games. I just skimmed through it a bit, but a few stand out to me:

Sword of the Stars I complete is 75% off ($2.50), which is the lowest I've seen it. It's a fun game, if a little dated now. They did a good job making the different races have different playstyles, and it's good fun in both single and multi player. It's a 4x that lets you design ships and then control them in a tactical battle map. Has pretty good AI that can give you a challenge both in the strategic map and the tactical map. Definitely worth $2.50 if you haven't played it. This version is better than the sequel IMHO.

Wurm Unlimited is 60% off ($11.99). It's a fun game based on the similarly named MMO Wurm Online. It's a sandbox crafting game with a terraformable world and a whole truckload of depth. It's definitely not for everyone, but those who like this kind of game can get hundreds if not thousands of hours of entertainment out of it. If anyone does pick this one up, I'm getting ready to host a dedicated server for it here soon if anyone wanted to start in a fresh world with me.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15237 on: August 14, 2018, 03:14:53 am »

Sword of the Stars has an actual 3d map you have to consider as you play. It's one of the few space 4x's that does this.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #15238 on: August 14, 2018, 04:11:37 am »

just an FYI, SOTS1 multiplayer was 100% nonfunctional last time I tried it with a friend. Great game but you may be restricted to singleplayer only

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15239 on: August 14, 2018, 04:45:17 am »

just an FYI, SOTS1 multiplayer was 100% nonfunctional last time I tried it with a friend. Great game but you may be restricted to singleplayer only
Even with Hamachi?
Pages: 1 ... 1014 1015 [1016] 1017 1018 ... 1133