Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1023 1024 [1025] 1026 1027 ... 1133

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1383611 times)

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #15360 on: November 05, 2018, 05:18:37 pm »

Conclusion:  I'll give it another shot tomorrow, but I'm very conflicted about it.  A modern... echo/mirror of Marathon's story with pretty graphics and satisfying Borderlands gameplay.  But it's always-online no pausing.

And I know it's full of microtransactions, but those doesn't bother me.  People get way too mad about that when they can just opt out.  Destiny 2 isn't ruining other games, it's literally free.

It's fun if you take it for what it is - there's some amazing environments and fun stories, and it's a good loot-em-up. The microtransactions are pretty non-intrusive; there's been such a big backlash against them that each time they've tried to push them they've gotten shut down hard by the fan base (which is fantastic). They're still there, but they don't ruin anything.

My only suggestion is not to rush the main story - I found it difficult to go back to after I had done with it as everything felt a bit lifeless knowing I had completed it all.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #15361 on: November 05, 2018, 05:27:20 pm »

The microtransactions are bad in the sense that to open the loot box equivallent, you need to go to the loot box shop. Sure, for me and probably you this is just a minor inconvenience, but I know people who feel outright compelled against their own will to buy more boxes.

And that, I don't need to tell you, is bad. So player beware.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #15362 on: November 05, 2018, 09:05:45 pm »

So far, as a free game, I'm enjoying it.

The story seems like absolute trash. I played Halo 1 and 2, but that's it. And I was never in love with their universe. So cut to D2 introducing basically everything in a 45 second opening cutscene, then wasting the next 45 minutes of my life re-introducing characters I never knew like I'm supposed to care, supposedly killing them like I'm supposed to care as well, having the Earth be taken over in about 5 minutes like I'm supposed to care.....then 20 minutes of a tedious walking and talking tutorial, chalk full of stunning vistas, swelling music so epic I thought my heart was going to explode and exactly zero interesting gameplay. They really, really, really wanted you to feel them feels.

And then the actual game starts and you can have some fun. At first it was pretty damn overwhelming. Shit's unlocking left and right. You spawn in to an active combat zone with other players around, a WoW-esqe endless stream of enemy mooks spawning within 5 feet of you every 5 minutes, quests to do, faction stuff to understand, daily quests, tunnels with bosses and loot at the end of them, various chests scattered around to find and loot, public events.....good god they just throw it all at you in the first 5 actual minutes of gameplay.

Then you play a while more and it starts to make more sense and you start to see how gameplay is organized. Levels have main missions, side missions, "lost sectors" to find, kill the boss and loot, loot chests fixed and randomly spawned in the areas, and public events.

The UI is.....damn it's bad. It's both bland and uninteresting and visually unintuitive. They believe slightly flashing icons in a screen full of flashy glowing stuff is enough to let you know things are clickable. The first guy's faction screen is trying to tell you like 5 things at once in descending order but you have to hover over each thing to actually understand what it's talking about. You do things and get Dusklight Crystals which you turn in for what is essentially a loot box. Open enough loot boxes and you get the PRIVILEGE to spend the in-game money and the salvage from scrapped epic items to get more epic items. It's not that it's unreadable or incomprehensible, but it takes a while to get in the head of the UI designer and figure out how they expect you to look at things. And then there's your character inventory with multiple tabs and shit you have to click to do things, and your collections and your trophies....I feel like half of my first two hours was just navigating all the screens and checking for gently pulsing shit which wants to be clicked on. I think the game's biggest problem is the use of screen real-estate. It's got that new-age UI philosophy where everything needs to be minimal and there needs to be shit loads of open space on the screen. What that translates to is most of the information you want to know being scattered across multiple screens and submenus instead of collected and displayed in mostly one place. It makes the UI look empty and sterile most of the time, and all the elements of it just are just fucking boring. White lines and borders and flat uninteresting font choices. Am I being anal about UIs. Absolutely. But it's so bad to me it actually rises to the level of being worth bitching about.

Now about the things I actually like. I enjoy the gunplay. It immediately felt like Halo gunplay which you either like or you hate depending on your comfort level with console FPS games. The minute I pulled out the Scout Rifle I knew it was a Bungie game, with headshots magically being granted despite being 5 to 8 pixels off their actual head. That said so far the gun play is less bullet spongey than Borderlands, it feels like, and you're very mobile with the sprinting and the double jump and the Hunter's dodge ability. Melee actually does something so it feels like it blends well with close quarters combat. (Honestly melee actually feels more effective than most guns.) The game reminds me very strongly of The Division. It feels like a mashup of The Division's gear meta and level layout and design, and a cut down and much less OP and goofy version of Borderland's gun mechanics. The class system and design feels like a mix of Division and Borderlands. (Honestly Division probably cribbed their class system right from Borderlands as I think about it.) While I wasn't wild about the Division's class and gearing system, it was serviceable there and it's the same here. Maybe slightly more interesting actually.

And as much as I hate being this way, I'm a sucker for open world job-a-thons due to all my time spent playing Assassin's Creed games. So D2 is a comfortable checklist of things to go and do and knock out, all while enjoying moving through the environment, having firefights with packs of enemies, doing the occasional public event.....

Will I go the distance with the game? It's hard to say. I've yet to go to Titan where the rest of the game opens up. Right now I'm just enjoying feeling my way around, going through the campaign missions and kicking some ass and trying out different guns. When I max out in character level and get in to the gear grind, and run up against the need for a Clan, Bright Engrams and needing to buy the expansion to continue progressing, that will really determine whether or not I keep playing.

But for a free game, I'm enjoying my time so far. Seeing what I've seen now, there's no way I would have gone out and bought this at anything near full price. But I may get invested enough to buy the DLC, as I'm sure was their plan all along. Just depends on whether the game still feels fresh after completing the story, or if I can see the miles long grind ahead of me before I've even gotten in to it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15363 on: November 05, 2018, 10:53:02 pm »

TBH the thing for me (aside from not trusting Bungie at all because of... basically everything since Halo 3, and the shitty way they handled their community since forever) is that Destiny was an inferior knockoff of Warframe that you had to pay a bunch of money to play. If I wanted to play a game in Bungie's particular style, ElDewrito exists... and is also free both monetarily and of the taint of both Bungie bullshit and the M$/343 cancer that owns Halo now.

D2 sealed the deal. You gotta shill out another $60-120 just to keep having people to play with, plus all the MTX, for a game that's still not as good as the free one it's trying to pull players from.

It's honestly a goddamn shame, but it seems like Bungie hasn't done anything in the past eight years that wasn't derivative garbage. On top of that, a few months back NetEase bought a stake in 'em. If you're not familiar with NetEase, they're a Chinese developer reviled for making shitty copy-paste mobile games loaded down with microtransactions. And I don't mean reviled in the West where there's already strong resistance to that shit, I mean reviled in China. They're also the people that run Blizzard's Chinese localizations... including the development of Diablo Immortal, which has had a little bit of a presence in recent headlines.

Bungie's soul died back around '07, all that's left are the same corporate bottom line bottom-feeders that so much of the industry is owned by now.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15364 on: November 06, 2018, 09:33:51 am »

I really loved Marathon's story, loved the way the AI "talked" to you via fixed messages on screens. How your enemy in the first few areas becomes basically your crazy boss later, and the crazier he gets, the more weird stuff you do to please him.

Halo for me was meh. I don't think it was "officially" in the same universe save some Easter eggs, maybe I'm wrong. I'm not sure if I'd care enough about Destiny. Part of the reason I enjoyed Marathon and didn't Halo wasn't because of the world building, I think it was the delivery method.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #15365 on: November 06, 2018, 10:59:35 am »

Destiny was an inferior knockoff of Warframe that you had to pay a bunch of money to play.

I take issue with this comparison. Destiny was more of a shooter version of Everquest or WoW, with a mix of exploration, hunting quests, and giant boss raids with heavily scripted mechanics and the hope of rare loot at the end. A relatively novel genre mixture, with price points comparable to other games of similar quality and content.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15366 on: November 06, 2018, 07:29:21 pm »

As much as I like Warframe, it can be a bit archaic/convoluted - it's part of the charm, but sometimes it just feels so dense and difficult to know how to create good builds etc. It also wants to take over your life as much as possible (timed building etc.) whereas Destiny 2 is just a sort of run and gun loot-em-up which is fun to jump into for a bit. There's definitely a space for that, and whilst I think it could be tons better it does the job.

The main issue I have is Bungie's awful DLC strategy - they're not even remotely happy with customers just paying for the base game and expect everyone to shell out for all the upgrades. They've been taken to task for it (and trying to do lootboxes) and they're reigning it in but it's really annoying that they treat customers like that.

Re Netease: I really, really hate that Chinese gaming companies are buying up big stakes in games - I would bet the farm that they're going to absolutely ruin gaming in the years to come. It'll be slowly and insidiously, but we've already started to see companies bow to their pressures visually (removing skulls/death icons etc.) and it won't be long before they start interfering with the sorts of stories games are allowed to have, along with ramping up microtransactions and increased grinding.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15367 on: November 14, 2018, 01:32:56 pm »

https://www.chrono.gg/ monster hunter world is 29%($42.50) off for the next 46 1/2 hours.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #15368 on: November 14, 2018, 02:33:24 pm »

I'm disappointed it's not 29.5435% off.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #15369 on: November 15, 2018, 09:10:46 am »

What reference would that discount percentage be?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #15370 on: November 15, 2018, 01:19:46 pm »

What reference would that discount percentage be?
Mathematical in-joke. If you keep adding decimals to pi you get 3.14159295435
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #15371 on: November 15, 2018, 02:38:10 pm »

Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #15372 on: November 15, 2018, 02:47:22 pm »

Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion is free over at Humble Bundle.
Oh ho...

Now that's a good game. With a LOT of good mods too.

Check out this post for a list of all the great mods: https://www.reddit.com/r/GameDeals/comments/9xdmqp/humble_sins_of_a_solar_empire_free/e9riooe/

Special mention is the enhanced 4x mod and the Star Wars one.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15373 on: November 15, 2018, 03:42:56 pm »

The Star Trek Armada 3 mod is fantastic - I had great fun with friends with that, and it has the best player coop vs AI (with the AI set as the Borg) of any game I've played. Some of them weren't really ST fans either but still managed to get into it.

It's incredibly polished for a mod and it's actually finished rather than lots of missing art assets etc. - pretty much a whole new game.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15374 on: November 15, 2018, 06:05:25 pm »

"Is this a space themed game? There's a Star Trek mod for it."

Which gets old really fast.
Pages: 1 ... 1023 1024 [1025] 1026 1027 ... 1133