Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1024 1025 [1026] 1027 1028 ... 1133

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1385567 times)

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #15375 on: November 15, 2018, 08:35:24 pm »

Humble also has two really great sales right now. The Dystopia pack looks great, and you can get basically all of the warhammer series for 7 dollars.
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15376 on: November 16, 2018, 11:30:27 am »

"Is this a space themed game? There's a Star Trek mod for it."

Which gets old really fast.

I mean, it's the biggest space franchise ever - of course it's going to be made into a mod for every space type game. I also think it's an easy one for most games - star trek has clearly defined races with distinct abilities/differences which translate well. 

I'm not normally a huge fan of Total Conversion mods though - they're usually half baked with lots of missing/janky assets and often balanced more for fan service than actual playability. Star Trek Armada is the absolute exception - super polished and really well balanced and as such I'd definitely put it in the top three TC mods ever.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #15377 on: November 16, 2018, 08:20:58 pm »

Steam is running an NIS sale right now. Most of them are your standard hit or miss games, but I highly suggest picking up Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk right now. It's somewhat expensive, even at 20% off it's still $39.99 (+$1.79/3.58 if you pick up the Strategy guide DLC and maybe the Manania DLC, which I highly suggest). That said I've sunk 93 hours into the game so far, and fully expect to sink at least another 10 before I actually finish the game, and another 20 or so after that to finish off the end game content.

The game plays out fairly like your standard dungeon crawler and is flexible enough to let you get through a lot of the game without needing to put a huge effort into grinding (pretty much all the "oh-shit" enemies can be either dodged, fled, or not triggered, and if you explore everywhere then that tends to be enough XP gain to not struggle too much in battles), while still allowing for huge amounts of min-maxing if desired.

Also the story has been pretty good (albeit rated M for a reason), the english voice acting is amazing enough that I'm actually using that instead of switching, and there are enough plot twists and unexpected turns that I highly suggest avoiding spoilers on the story as much as possible.

There's also a really great google doc put together that covers the handful of (important) mistranslations you'll run into as well as some good strategies along with your standard sort of item/treasure/skill/etc. database. And for stability I haven't had any crashes at all since the patch, and only 1 small one before that running on a fairly average setup.

HUGE recommendation for anyone who is willing to drop $40 on a game and enjoys dungeon crawlers.

NOTE: This is an M game for a reason, and a handful of oversexualized costumes/enemies are in the lesser of its reasons for deserving that rating. I cover it more in my post below, but if you're sensitive to that stuff then feel free to give it a pass, no judgement here.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 12:32:04 pm by i2amroy »
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15378 on: November 17, 2018, 07:34:58 am »

Steam is running an NIS sale right now. Most of them are your standard hit or miss games, but I highly suggest picking up Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk right now. It's somewhat expensive, even at 20% off it's still $39.99 (+$1.79/3.58 if you pick up the Strategy guide DLC and maybe the Manania DLC, which I highly suggest). That said I've sunk 93 hours into the game so far, and fully expect to sink at least another 10 before I actually finish the game, and another 20 or so after that to finish off the end game content.

The game plays out fairly like your standard dungeon crawler and is flexible enough to let you get through a lot of the game without needing to put a huge effort into grinding (pretty much all the "oh-shit" enemies can be either dodged, fled, or not triggered, and if you explore everywhere then that tends to be enough XP gain to not struggle too much in battles), while still allowing for huge amounts of min-maxing if desired.

Also the story has been pretty good (albeit rated M for a reason), the english voice acting is amazing enough that I'm actually using that instead of switching, and there are enough plot twists and unexpected turns that I highly suggest avoiding spoilers on the story as much as possible.

There's also a really great google doc put together that covers the handful of (important) mistranslations you'll run into as well as some good strategies along with your standard sort of item/treasure/skill/etc. database. And for stability I haven't had any crashes at all since the patch, and only 1 small one before that running on a fairly average setup.

HUGE recommendation for anyone who is willing to drop $40 on a game and enjoys dungeon crawlers.

I just learned of the game's existence a day or so ago, and I looked at it long and hard before going "Nah" after deciding that I might not like the gameplay after reading some reviews that say it can be steamrolled through with casters. I'll look at it again if that was actually an exaggeration.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15379 on: November 17, 2018, 09:26:54 am »

snip
I was all like 'mmkayeah', and then I clicked the link. I mean, the overwrought title should have been a giveaway, but still. You could have at least mentioned it is infused with that horriburu animu aesthetics, with all its wardrobe-challenged, childishly oversexed trappings.
I was hoping for another Legend of Grimrock, but I was assaulted by barely-clad protruding labia instead.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #15380 on: November 17, 2018, 10:52:53 am »

That seems a bit excessive. The game actually looks good if you enjoy that sort of game, which as a rule I don't.

As far as 'oversexed', perhaps a tad in the lead witch's get up. But does it detract to the extent you imply? Not really.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15381 on: November 17, 2018, 11:03:02 am »

Oh, you thick-skinned youngsters. You've been raised on this shit.
It doth offend my Victorian sensibilities all the same.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #15382 on: November 17, 2018, 12:26:47 pm »

I just learned of the game's existence a day or so ago, and I looked at it long and hard before going "Nah" after deciding that I might not like the gameplay after reading some reviews that say it can be steamrolled through with casters. I'll look at it again if that was actually an exaggeration.
Personally my experience has been that if you take the Hard difficulty petition as soon as it's available then it lands pretty nicely at the point where I've actually wiped a handful of times (and had a few other pretty close shaves where only 1-2 puppets survive the battle). Like a lot of the NIS games you can definitely min-max it to the point where you can crush most things other than bosses without too much effort though. And while caster's are strong in my experience they've come with a different drawback; i.e. if you use them too much then you have to resort to warping in and out of the labyrinth every 5 minutes to refresh their MP, and a caster build can usually be oneshot by a good breeze.

Apologies, I probably could have better emphasized that NIS games (Disgaea series as well, for example) have a particular type of aesthetic and since this is a rated M game they aren't pulling their punches at all really. The game runs the whole gamut of some oversexualized costumes/enemies, descriptions of violence/gore and sexual violence (the latter not graphically, but still very much present), literal shit/waste covered and throwing enemies, involving the death of way too many characters who didn't deserve it right in front of you (some which you are actively trying to save), and has on multiple occasions made me feel like a terrible person for accidentally (multiple times) or on purpose (also multiple times) performing terrible acts for personal gain (notable call out to the optional boss who didn't want to fight at first and then started crying and trembling in fear to the point of passing their turns when on super low HP, that one... kinda got to me).

If one of those things really gets to you then yeah, probably give the game a pass. This isn't one of those games that some overzealous rating board gave it a M rating or that picked it up because it shows a nipple somewhere (AFAIK there isn't any actual nudity display in-game), it definitely deserves that rating just across the board. I'll edit the original suggestion to note that a bit more.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 12:33:22 pm by i2amroy »
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #15383 on: November 17, 2018, 05:11:47 pm »

(notable call out to the optional boss who didn't want to fight at first and then started crying and trembling in fear to the point of passing their turns when on super low HP, that one... kinda got to me).
Woah, what now? Consider me interested; not enough games do storytelling through gameplay nowadays, and even something as simple as what you've described is actually an awesome way to earn emotional investment. I'm tired to death of hackneyed cutscenes and dialogue interrupting a gameplay experience for the sake of explaining everything when the game could just let me see why I should care.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15384 on: November 17, 2018, 05:19:34 pm »

Oh, I really haven't. My parents were very much so against games that involved shooting anything other than aliens. Halo, Frogger, Spyro... those were the games I was raised on.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #15385 on: November 17, 2018, 08:15:23 pm »

Oh, I really haven't. My parents were very much so against games that involved shooting anything other than aliens. Halo, Frogger, Spyro... those were the games I was raised on.

One of those things is not like the others...

I recall my mother having a chat with me regarding violent video games when I was rather effusive about the excessiveness that was Mortal Kombat II, probably when I was 8 or 9. She was rather worried I would be unduly influenced by the OMGTHATDUDEJUSTTURNEDINTOADRAGONANDATEME or punching heads off. I uttered the wonderful line "but mum, it's just a game" and she appeared pleased I was able to tell fantasy from reality.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15386 on: November 18, 2018, 07:05:20 am »

Yea, but Halo was against aliens. They didn't mind that, and I never showed them pvp :P
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #15387 on: November 18, 2018, 07:13:14 am »

Yea, but Halo was against aliens. They didn't mind that, and I never showed them pvp :P

C'mon, everyone who have played Halo killed fellow human soldiers with Sticky Grenades at least once, just to see their reaction!
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15388 on: November 18, 2018, 07:22:10 am »

..damn, ive ben fpind ouy. plz dont tell my mummy
?? ? Ok?
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #15389 on: November 18, 2018, 07:41:20 am »

..damn, ive ben fpind ouy. plz dont tell my mummy
?? ? Ok?

Sure, but only if you do a 1v1 Noscope sniper rifle match.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.
Pages: 1 ... 1024 1025 [1026] 1027 1028 ... 1133