Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1027 1028 [1029] 1030 1031 ... 1133

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1383272 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #15420 on: November 22, 2018, 07:49:57 am »

It eats up a lot of processor time and RAM especially on a large galaxy since it processes not only the revolution of every single planet(and their satellites around them), spaceship, space station, and asteroid/asteroid field in every single star system, but also the empty space between stars... though almost nothing ever happens there unless two opponents intercept each other and one has a warp blocker(never saw that happen myself). Not only that, by mid-game, your empire alone will likely have hundreds of cargo ships all processing their logic in addition to your warships, and that's to say nothing of the other empires' fleets or the space monsters.

...It's pretty impressive when you think about it.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15421 on: November 22, 2018, 08:04:41 am »

I feel it's worth mentioning that those hundreds of cargo ships aren't just for show, either; you'll likely have well over a hundred mining stations scattered across your empire, and each of them produce and store various resources that have to be picked up and delivered to your various colonies and construction projects.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15422 on: November 22, 2018, 11:07:23 am »

Sounds interesting, I've picked it up. 
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15423 on: November 22, 2018, 01:03:19 pm »

Distant Worlds is a really, really good 4x - one of the best in my opinion. The simulation is fantastic, and it allows you to concentrate on what you want to concentrate on instead of having to do stuff you don't care about/find annoying.

The only issue is that it's difficult to find a balance that works - too much automation and you can feel like the AI is making decisions you really wouldn't want/a bit of a lack of control, and not enough and you can easily become unbelievably swamped with stuff.

Unleashed extended 2 is supposed to be a really good mod for it although I haven't tried it - may try it later actually!
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15424 on: November 22, 2018, 04:44:51 pm »

What's the likelyhood Stardew Valley will go on sale this weekend if it isn't already discounted currently? I had the understanding that it had frequent discounts, but I have yet to see it on sale on isthereanydeal. (But I've only been checking for about a month.)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15425 on: November 22, 2018, 07:56:49 pm »

Yeah, while Distant Worlds is definitely top-of-the-shelf 4X, it just keeps making me want to play Aurora instead. DW doesn't quite get the granularity I want for either ship design or tactical control (though in both cases it's better than most of the competition), and the automation feels pretty much mandatory because anything beyond a very basic empire would require ungodly amounts of the uninteresting sort of micromanagement. Also another notch in my case for turn-based 4X over realtime with pause: turns give you coherent chunks of choices to make rather than a continual stream. Even mostly automated as DW can be, RTWP feels like turn based where you have to manually end each turn, and bad things can happen if you don't do so quickly enough.

The ship designer is pretty cool (I especially like being able to choose sprite and sprite scaling by class), but again the granularity is wanting. One of the things I love most about Aurora is being able to design ships right down to the specs of each component rather than having a plug-and-play thing with preset components a la pretty much every other space 4X ever.

The only major complaint I have about DW is that the event log is fucking anemic. Another reason why I love Aurora: you get a fairly detailed breakdown of everything of note. I get what the devs were going for with DW's design, putting the player into a more realistic leadership role where you can't efficiently micromanage much of anything, but I despise the loss of control.

That said, I don't think Aurora would do any better on that scale, but it does kinda drive home why Aurora grips me in the way no other 4X does: in Aurora, the most exciting part of the game (the initial "bursting out" where you're leaving your home system to explore, colonize, and fight over unknown space) is the game. In pretty much every other 4X ever made, you get that initial phase of fun for maybe an hour or two, tops, then everything sort of stabilizes and turns into more of a management sim that occasionally allows you to smash fleets into each other like a toddler with a couple action figures.

DW definitely has a different approach to things than a lot of 4X games, and arguably a better one, but it still runs into that brick wall of spending an hour setting tax policy and designating planetary construction projects for every minute of combat.

Worth a buy at $15, and a better 4X than Stellaris, GalCiv, &c., but Aurora is still king, both in keeping the focus on the most interesting phase of empire development and in providing tactical control that feels like commanding real spaceships rather than clicking a stack of numbers onto another stack of numbers.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15426 on: November 23, 2018, 05:33:42 am »

In case anyone has an issue with DW crashing in Win10 once the menu screen loads, what worked for me was going to startup.ini in the installation folder, and changing the 'playmovie' entry value to 0.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15427 on: November 23, 2018, 03:45:32 pm »

-snip-

Aurora is definitely king, it's just unfortunately been designed on an awful engine so it all grinds to a halt eventually - the interface is also a mess, and some of the systems are just plain odd.

However, when the C# version comes out I'm convinced it'll be the absolute best 4x ever made though - really, really can't wait.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15428 on: November 24, 2018, 02:32:47 am »

The Armello clans are the cheapest they've ever been on Steam right now. Usually 20% off, now 50%. Still a bit much for a 3 year old game.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #15429 on: November 24, 2018, 11:10:05 am »

The Armello clans are the cheapest they've ever been on Steam right now. Usually 20% off, now 50%. Still a bit much for a 3 year old game.

How are the games?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15430 on: November 24, 2018, 05:41:44 pm »

-snip-

Aurora is definitely king, it's just unfortunately been designed on an awful engine so it all grinds to a halt eventually - the interface is also a mess, and some of the systems are just plain odd.

However, when the C# version comes out I'm convinced it'll be the absolute best 4x ever made though - really, really can't wait.

For what it's worth, I've experienced greatly improved stability with some of the more recent changes Steve made. Play with 0-1 starting NPRs, NPR Generation (NPR) set to 0% so the starter can't spawn new ones, and NPRs activate non-NPRs ticked off. That means that nothing can spawn except by being generated when your ships enter a system, which means that the slowdown will never start unless you spawn spoilers or an NPR near another NPR.

I would still recommend playing with Invaders off since the loss of plasma torpedos makes them basically just upgraded Precursors that can spawn in every goddamn system to slow everything down.

UI is still awkward, but it manages to be less awkward than DW's somehow. I think I just prefer the clean black text/white background to tiny icons and an attempt at actual artistic design for menus. Lord knows some of the research-related navigation is awkward though.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15431 on: November 24, 2018, 10:48:33 pm »

How are the games?

Armello is good. A boardgame using a computer for elements that are very hard to accomplish in cardboard form.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #15432 on: November 25, 2018, 12:11:31 am »

Armello is a super light Talisman, if you're familiar. Basically a board game esque affair about wandering around, powering up, dicking over the competition, being ruined utterly by chance, and eventually seizing the throne. Hopefully.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15433 on: November 25, 2018, 07:13:36 pm »

Armello is a super light Talisman, if you're familiar. Basically a board game esque affair about wandering around, powering up, dicking over the competition, being ruined utterly by chance, and eventually seizing the throne. Hopefully.

In about 1/100th the time.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #15434 on: November 26, 2018, 01:26:56 am »

Worth mentioning that there are surprisingly many ways to avoid getting totally RNG'd, though chance still plays a decent size role.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.
Pages: 1 ... 1027 1028 [1029] 1030 1031 ... 1133