Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1028 1029 [1030] 1031 1032 ... 1133

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1385943 times)

tnc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #15435 on: November 26, 2018, 03:10:09 pm »

Battletech is also on sale. The general response seems positive. What do you guys think now that the honeymoon stage is over?

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15436 on: November 26, 2018, 03:13:20 pm »

It has the bones of a good game, and there are times that it is a lot of fun, but there are some unresolved technical issues with UI and memory handling, and the difficulty scaling can pretty much be summed up as "throw more mechs at the player."

I like it, but I wish it was a bit better.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #15437 on: November 26, 2018, 03:17:24 pm »

Battletech is also on sale. The general response seems positive. What do you guys think now that the honeymoon stage is over?
Aight. Pretty good for a tactics game, especially at the start.

But later on the game becomes a drag as every battle basically becomes "bring all the assault mechs because enemy only uses assault mechs".

I think there are mods that fix this though.

The devs basically admitted that this game was more like... a test run and proof of concept which is why the story is about such a small scale skirmish with such low-tier weaponry. There's not too many mech options honestly and VERY little weapon variety. Again, I think there are mods that fix this but don't quote me on this.

I only ever played it through once and never touched it again personally. But I did enjoy it and had a lot of fun for what it's worth. I might revisit it at some point. Punching giant robots is super cool.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #15438 on: November 26, 2018, 09:13:22 pm »

Battletech is a lot of fun, but don't try to play it on an 10 year old PC with an 8 year old GPU lol. Loading screens take forever.

Other than the loading screens taking a while, the tactical missions are a lot of fun and the story was entertaining. Collecting big or rare mechs from carefully scrapping enemies (via headshots or pilot damage) is fun and gives a big boost in $$. There isn't much replayability to the base game, but after you've beaten the storyline I highly recommend the RogueTech mod.

RogueTech makes the game play more like a roguelike. It has a lot of options so you can tailor the gameplay a bit to your liking (and raise or lower the challenge). Way more mechs, way more weapons, heavily rebalanced combat, and many more missions - including multi-stage ones and longer term contracts.

If it wasn't for the really slow loading on my PC I would probably play it a lot more. That and all the other great games that draw my attention by getting updated like Dwarf Fortress and Kenshi and Starsector...
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #15439 on: November 27, 2018, 03:49:15 am »

Much like Kingmaker, Battletech is a good game concept but had bad game mechanics and a bland storyline. Like kingmaker, I paid way too much money for it only to find it tiresome.  :-\

I do plan to revisit since they implemented a new gamemode without story and more flexibility. That should improve things somewhat. I've not done it yet due to bad past experiences and loading times. But I will.

Like kingmaker, I'm kind of hoping that between patches, mods, and dlc it becomes better.

There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

tnc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15440 on: November 27, 2018, 04:59:28 am »

Thanks guys. RogueTech sounds cool. I understand it's more of a no story sandbox type of mod with more depth? I have a GTX 960.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 05:24:18 am by tnc »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15441 on: November 27, 2018, 10:37:58 am »

Now that Paradox officially owns HBS/Battletech, the tiny number of mechs that are available with the base game will stay that way. From what I have seen, modders have only been able to add more variants of the existing mechs (which was also necessary, but is only a partial solution).

The AI is very dumb: walk towards nearest enemy and shoot most wounded. That's a pretty good plan most of the time, and would work if they knew how to keep from overheating, but it's a single plan that they use every time no matter what. That makes the combat (99% of the game) very repetitive.

It is pretty looking.

Overall, it's good for getting high and watching robots shoot each other.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15442 on: November 27, 2018, 10:54:58 am »

Now that Paradox officially owns HBS/Battletech, the tiny number of mechs that are available with the base game will stay that way. From what I have seen, modders have only been able to add more variants of the existing mechs (which was also necessary, but is only a partial solution).
Overall, it's good for getting high and watching robots shoot each other.
There are actually mods that add new chassis (some with their own 3d models), Roguetech has quite a few.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15443 on: November 27, 2018, 11:16:11 am »

BattleTech vanilla can campaign was fun, except for the bad load times. 
Was running i5 cpu | 8 GB Ram | SSD | oldie GTX 770 2GB. 

There are some QOL tweaks needed with Vanilla, and the modding is somewhat easy if you like to read a lot. 

Then RogueTech came which has it's pro and con.  As with modding community, everyone has their own vision of balance and in the end, it can become a huge unbalanced mess.  So, you will need to do more reading to find your balanced and enjoyable gaming with these mods. 

I look forward to this expansion with an upgraded pc: i7 | 16 GB Ram | SSD | RTX 2070 8GB.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15444 on: November 29, 2018, 02:35:55 am »

As of right now, steam links are on sale for 2.50 each for me in america, appears to be sold out in europe. Shipping for me was about 7 bucks. This is the hardware version, which they are discontinuing. Limited quantities are left.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15445 on: November 29, 2018, 04:23:31 pm »

Attila Total war is at 9 bucks right now in steam, it's an insane 80% discount. The promo will last until tomorrow. Buy it while is hot, alas God know I would if i could.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #15446 on: November 29, 2018, 06:39:35 pm »

Battle Brothers had an expansion come out today, so the base game is on sale for 40% off on Steam until Dec. 2nd right now. One of the best low-fantasy mercenary games I've ever played, hand's down. One of the best mercenary games of any genre I've played, really.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15447 on: November 29, 2018, 10:39:04 pm »

Hey, I have spare gift keys for Dawn of War 1, and Talisman: Digital now if anyone wants them.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15448 on: November 29, 2018, 11:38:25 pm »

Hey, I have spare gift keys for Dawn of War 1, and Talisman: Digital now if anyone wants them.
Cool! I'd like to grab Talisman: Digital, if nobody else has.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15449 on: November 30, 2018, 12:00:31 am »

I've heard good things about DoW 1. IIRC and am not confusing it with the sequel(s), anyway. Are these Steam keys?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.
Pages: 1 ... 1028 1029 [1030] 1031 1032 ... 1133