Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1037 1038 [1039] 1040 1041 ... 1132

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1370025 times)

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #15570 on: December 24, 2018, 12:42:49 pm »

I've spoken about it at length in the MHW thread (and had a great convo with Nighthawk on PM) - it's not that I really mind the anime style, it's that there's this real dissonance between style; one moment you're on the edge of your seat, tracking this horrible bone dragon monster thing across a nightmarish landscape (really quite scary) and in the middle of that some stupid dancing cats turn up and start saying 'oh thank you meowster! ur my besty frendy!' and really ruin the atmosphere.

It's like it's being pulled in two directions - a sort of Witcher-esque feel and a mega-anime feel; neither is bad (i'm not a huge anime fan, but I wouldn't mind it), but they don't work together for me.

That's just the tone and the story - the game play loop (which it's all about in MH) is fantastic and I can't fault it. The monsters are suitably scary and take a lot of prep to take down, and there's tons to do and customise.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15571 on: December 24, 2018, 12:45:04 pm »

So what should it be called, exactly?
Japanese? It's a Japanese video game, it has Japanese tropes, so calling it Japanese is accurate. "Weeb" isn't a Japanese trope, it's a derogatory term for Western people who are obsessed with Japanese culture. What he probably meant was that the Japanese video game was very Japanese.

Double post to address this: I'm using weebish in terms of that it's the cutesy kawaaaiiii anime that seems to appeal to Weebs. It's not like Cowboy Bebop/Attack on Titan/Akira anime, but annoying dancing animals and lots of screeching. 
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #15572 on: December 24, 2018, 12:48:06 pm »

Oh, I see. I was thinking you meant it felt like something that was produced by weebs: something that was a weird mix of Western and Japenese tropes. To me it feels like a very Japanese game, which it seems like you agree with that. But yeah, I do agree that a lot of popular Japanese media has tonal dissonance and it feels awkward.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15573 on: December 24, 2018, 12:52:44 pm »

Oh, I see. I was thinking you meant it felt like something that was produced by weebs: something that was a weird mix of Western and Japenese tropes. To me it feels like a very Japanese game, which it seems like you agree with that. But yeah, I do agree that a lot of popular Japanese media has tonal dissonance and it feels awkward.

I feel it's a very Japanese game that they've tried to make western - it's like they had half Japanese devs (who wanted to make a more cutesy anime game) and half Western devs who wanted to create the next Witcher. Instead of going one way or the other or reaching a compromise, they decided to do both styles and just jam it together.

Only tonally is it an issue, the game is great and I'd recommend it on sale for sure unless you're a firm hater of anime.

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15574 on: December 24, 2018, 01:40:14 pm »

On topic of Monster Hunter World. Its cheapest (with code) on greenmangaming. I got it for 31 USD, cheapest its ever been and likely will be for a while.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #15575 on: December 24, 2018, 04:29:19 pm »

You're hunting dragons and giant lizards with shields bigger than yourself and lances that explode. I'm not sure what part of Monster Hunter was meant to be taken seriously.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15576 on: December 24, 2018, 04:42:13 pm »

You're hunting dragons and giant lizards with shields bigger than yourself and lances that explode. I'm not sure what part of Monster Hunter was meant to be taken seriously.

To be fair, there is historical precedent for hunting giant animals bigger than yourself with an explosive lance: Patent. (Okay, it doesn't quite work the same way, but it matches the description.)
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15577 on: December 24, 2018, 06:48:37 pm »

Only tonally is it an issue, the game is great and I'd recommend it on sale for sure unless you're a firm hater of anime.

I'm a firm hater of anime and anime inspired games. But I loved MH:W (I couldn't stomach the dialogue though, so I skipped almost everything that was skippable :P)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15578 on: December 24, 2018, 07:48:29 pm »

I watched a tiny portion of an LP before, where the fellow tried to bring a little more believability and realism to the setting by turning the protagonist into Johnny Bravo.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #15579 on: December 24, 2018, 09:56:35 pm »

Yeah, I want to play MHW but the uh......heavy japanese kawaii influence often stops me.

Anyways, didn't mean to derail the SALES thread with a referendum on MHW.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

marples

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15580 on: December 24, 2018, 10:51:43 pm »

I'm going to mention some games that people probably already own, but are on too cheap a sale to not be missed for those that didn't get them fisrt time round.

Borderlands 2 collection Everything BL2, plus all of the presequel.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided First person shooter or third person stealth; your choice.

Darksiders II Link, but with the edge cranked up to a million.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #15581 on: December 25, 2018, 12:19:03 am »

Darksiders II is more like an MMO/Open World game. Darksiders 1 is the more Link-esqe experience.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15582 on: December 25, 2018, 12:26:25 am »

I watched a tiny portion of an LP before, where the fellow tried to bring a little more believability and realism to the setting by turning the protagonist into Johnny Bravo.
Know the youtuber by any chance? Been looking for a monster hunter world LP that didn’t bore me to tears
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15583 on: December 25, 2018, 06:15:52 am »

Know the youtuber by any chance? Been looking for a monster hunter world LP that didn’t bore me to tears
Can't guarantee it won't bore you to tears, as pretty much the only particularly interesting parts I remember were Johnny Bravo and his immortal feline sidekick, Catpool. But here.

I didn't watch the whole thing either, ended up getting distracted after a couple vids. He skips most of the dialogue as well, after the intro section at least.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15584 on: December 26, 2018, 03:56:21 am »

After years of forgetting about it I finally grabbed Neo Scavenger. If you somehow missed this survival roguelike like I did, it's definitely worth grabbing, especially with the current 75% off sale.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.
Pages: 1 ... 1037 1038 [1039] 1040 1041 ... 1132