Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1066 1067 [1068] 1069 1070 ... 1133

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1386094 times)

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #16005 on: June 26, 2019, 08:48:50 pm »

You might lose your gamebux, whatever they're called. Takes a while, though. If you don't wait a year or two like I did, you'll be fine.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16006 on: June 26, 2019, 09:51:26 pm »

I had some issues with uplay when I bought Anno 2205, having that double layer of library/launchers is entirely unnecessary. I mean, you can run a uplay game from uplay without loading steam, but the whole point of steam is to have your library available in one place. Particularly when the other launcher is a platform for only their own titles. I'd almost rather go back to managing my games without a library than to have every publisher force their own launcher platforms - sixteen different walled gardens is categorically worse than a blank yard. Maybe then I could also more easily control things like profiles and save directories, too. But I guess we'll never go back to that golden heyday age of 2010, eh? /rant

Anyway, when I tried to get back into about a year ago, the launcher tried updating itself. I let it, only to find out afterward that the new launcher doesn't work under Win7. Had to uninstall the new one and search around for the old launcher to reinstall that. Still works just fine other than the launcher complaining that it is outdated and can't update. That may or may not be relevant for many people these days.

At least uplay actually closes itself when you close it, instead of eschewing 30 years of UI conventions and thinking "X" actually means "Oh, he still wants me around, I'll just hide down here in the notifications area" like so many programs do these days.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 09:56:28 pm by Niveras »

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #16007 on: June 27, 2019, 07:08:32 am »

At least uplay actually closes itself when you close it, instead of eschewing 30 years of UI conventions and thinking "X" actually means "Oh, he still wants me around, I'll just hide down here in the notifications area" like so many programs do these days.
It is rather like something from the bad old days of hunting ornery TSRs in DOS.  At least the memory footprints and cross-compatibility issues aren't quite as bad this time around. 

I just can't believe it's been so long since Windows 95 finally displaced MS-DOS instead of the old turtle and its shell
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 07:11:54 am by Culise »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16008 on: June 27, 2019, 07:26:45 am »

... wasn't it XP or vista or something that really displaced DOS? 95/98 could still natively run DOS programs, or something along those lines, but some point after that the backwards compatibility went kaput.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16009 on: June 27, 2019, 07:48:47 am »

I took that along the lines of "3.1 was DOS + GUI, 9x was GUI + DOS". Addition is normally commutative but order matters in that instance.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #16010 on: June 27, 2019, 12:37:39 pm »

95-ME put limits on MS-DOS, but XP put it on the chopping block.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16011 on: June 28, 2019, 04:43:31 am »

... wasn't it XP or vista or something that really displaced DOS? 95/98 could still natively run DOS programs, or something along those lines, but some point after that the backwards compatibility went kaput.

That was XP, and definitely not Vista, because Vista wasn't very popular. The reason is because XP is derived from NT, and not from the DOS/9x lineage. Windows NT/2000/XP is a whole different system. It originated as a joint project between IBM and Microsoft in the late 1980s: NT was meant as the successor to the IBM OS/2 operating system: the original name of Windows NT was "OS/2 3.0" actually. But the deal fell through and MS then took their code and made NT. So, the ancestry is completely separate to DOS/Win3.1/9x. Built different from the ground up, which is why it can't run DOS apps natively. They even had to effectively back-port the Win32 API onto the NT OS, so that it could run Windows programs at all. So it's not just DOS programs, NT-based Windows often had problems running normal 9x Windows programs, and the big selling point of XP was that they got it so that it could run most legacy Windows programs, along with the fact that CPUs had by then gotten fast enough that people would be willing to use NT-based Windows: which is more resource-hungry but a lot more solid than win9x.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 05:11:34 am by Reelya »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16012 on: June 28, 2019, 02:14:00 pm »

There's a very nice recent-ish release called Supraland that's a 3rd off. Lots of Portal-y fun with environment, chasing secrets and upgrades. A bit of combat. Reviewers say it also reminds them of Zelda games, but I wouldn't know never having played the latter.
Anyway, there's a demo. Worth a try if you're looking for something fresh and imaginative.

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16013 on: June 28, 2019, 02:29:47 pm »

I ended up picking Divinity Original Sin 2 Definitive Edition. I've heard a lot of good things about it and it looks really good so hopefully I end up enjoying it. But its on a pretty good sale right now for the price and how big the game is

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16014 on: June 28, 2019, 03:19:54 pm »

The Long Dark at 75% is a good deal. Brilliant game if you haven't played it.

But overall I think the Steam sales have gotten less interesting. Maybe because most titles worth buying have been bought at good price points already, from Steam or elsewhere.

Oxygen Not Included at 25% but 66% off with the Klei Bundle.
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16015 on: June 28, 2019, 04:14:54 pm »

I recommend Forager. It's not really a Summer Sale discount, but it's a game that preys on your basic human instincts, weaknesses and desires to break rocks and amass infinite amounts of poop and other fascinating resources, and that locks you up in an infinite cycle of foraging hell.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #16016 on: June 28, 2019, 05:30:00 pm »

I recommend Forager...locks you up in an infinite cycle of foraging hell.

Not quite infinite...I 100%'d all the achievements at just over 20 hours.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16017 on: June 30, 2019, 02:49:29 pm »

Only bad thing is that it ends.
Which is good, or it would consume my soul. Took me ~14 hours to finish the game and due to achievement issues, an extra 3..I even had to ask help from the devs/discord mods because the game wouldn't give me a certain chest and final achievement. They fixed it for me.

So, I don't know how long this has been going for, but people of course were hunting for exploits for the Grand Prix minigame. Lots of people probably been silent about it and doing it, but now it's going public so I bet people will be getting reset Grand Prix badges, level rollbacks, and stuff like that. I wonder what will happen with people that used/are using exploits, and used it for the discount and got games from it.

It's pretty obvious this would happen, specially since you get points for activities ("quests") done inside heavily modded games - OF COURSE someone would come up with a mod that, paired with an autoclicking script, would break steam and push people from level 1 Steam Account to level 1000+.
Here's an unnecessary lengthy video about it, because I like this youtuber.
Here's the Starbound mod for infinite Soda.

This may be the reason why Steam is extra laggy and crashy today - comments are going everywhere as of now and there's people buying Starbound in flocks just to try it (the exploit) out.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16018 on: June 30, 2019, 03:19:49 pm »

There's a very nice recent-ish release called Supraland that's a 3rd off. Lots of Portal-y fun with environment, chasing secrets and upgrades. A bit of combat. Reviewers say it also reminds them of Zelda games, but I wouldn't know never having played the latter.
Anyway, there's a demo. Worth a try if you're looking for something fresh and imaginative.

Supraland is a fantastic game.  I saw a mention of it somewhere, tried the demo, waffled a bit on waiting for a sale, then bought it full price.  Zero regrets, and racked up 24 hours of playtime on the first run through.

If you like Tower Defense types of games, I've enjoyed playing Creeper World for years.  I also picked up Creeper World 3, and have been enjoying it as well.  `

The only other thing that I've bought, because I keep seeing it mentioned, is Dungeon of the Endless.  I've only played a bit, but it seems pretty fun (especially at 75% off).
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16019 on: June 30, 2019, 03:20:17 pm »

Only bad thing is that it ends.
Which is good, or it would consume my soul. Took me ~14 hours to finish the game and due to achievement issues, an extra 3..I even had to ask help from the devs/discord mods because the game wouldn't give me a certain chest and final achievement. They fixed it for me.

So, I don't know how long this has been going for, but people of course were hunting for exploits for the Grand Prix minigame. Lots of people probably been silent about it and doing it, but now it's going public so I bet people will be getting reset Grand Prix badges, level rollbacks, and stuff like that. I wonder what will happen with people that used/are using exploits, and used it for the discount and got games from it.

It's pretty obvious this would happen, specially since you get points for activities ("quests") done inside heavily modded games - OF COURSE someone would come up with a mod that, paired with an autoclicking script, would break steam and push people from level 1 Steam Account to level 1000+.
Here's an unnecessary lengthy video about it, because I like this youtuber.
Here's the Starbound mod for infinite Soda.

This may be the reason why Steam is extra laggy and crashy today - comments are going everywhere as of now and there's people buying Starbound in flocks just to try it (the exploit) out.

Heh, I dunno. It is an exploit. But...you still need to actually buy games to increase the bonus (which resets daily. So you can have 11k bonus and it resets back to default+100 or whatever). So its not really much of a good exploit because still need to buy stuff to get those points.

I honestly find it easier to get points "playing" games for 30+ minutes and getting points that way. Doing that doesn't seem to count against the cap, since yesterday my cap only went up by 100 and I still got enough points just letting a game run idle to do a 1k boost. That is more an exploit to me than drinking a ton of soda for 10 points each but really you can't take advantage of that without spending money to increase the cap.

Its not a very well made event though, they didn't do good with it. And its overly complicated.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 03:22:11 pm by Trolldefender99 »
Pages: 1 ... 1066 1067 [1068] 1069 1070 ... 1133