Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1071 1072 [1073] 1074 1075 ... 1133

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1382873 times)

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #16080 on: July 30, 2019, 07:10:10 pm »

Humble has Crusader Kings 2 plus all of the expansions. It's a huge saving if starting from scratch, or even if you just need a couple of the more expensive expansions.

Wow, look at all those "mixed" reviews at the $15 level. :/

I don't own half the expansions and not sure I care enough to complete the set.

Personally wasn't much a fan of CK2 compared to paradox other historical strategy games.

Victoria 2 got 235 hours so far, and I like it a lot.

EU4 I got 987 hours (99% of that is because of MEIOU mod though) and is my 2nd most played game on steam. Its probably my favorite overall.

Imperator Rome I'm liking a lot despite negative reviews (though I'm on beta patch), and already have 61 hours played and haven't even owned it for 2 weeks

Where as CK2 I only have 86 hours out of and haven't touched it in a long time, nor do I want to or plan to. A lot of people seem to like it, and I DID enjoy my time out of it (till the last 5 hours or so anyway)...but its also the only paradox game I found (for me personally) that runs out of things to do and fast. War is boring and too easy, can't play tall, the RP aspects are better than imperator so it has that going with it (hope they improve that in imperator)...but the thing is...there isn't really much to do except play it as a sims game. Some like that, but not me. By the end of my time with it, I was literally falling asleep as I was playing it lol. Not a good sign for a game.

I think EU4/Vic 2 and hopefully imperator improves more, but I think those 3 are a ton better.

Plus its rare to play a strategy game where you can literally play tall and not forced into expanding into a huge empire and conquering 24/7. EU4/Vic 2 allows you to play relatively peaceful, which again is super rare in a strategy game and my favorite things about them.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16081 on: July 30, 2019, 08:53:50 pm »

I loved CKII as well for the time I played it, but once I conquered enough territory to be crowned emperor I lost interest. There was still more I could do (such as starting a new play through as a different nation and culture), but by that point in my life my priorities shifted. There is simply too much waiting in the game for me to justify putting my limited time into it. A lot of the gameplay boils down to wait for chancellor to fabricate that claim, or wait for your assassination plot to finally kill that bastard.

The fun comes from figuring out the game’s systems and using that knowledge to plan out the best assasination/marriage schemes possible so you can take land and grow your realm. The game truly makes you feel like a Machiavellian bastard and I would recommend it for that experience alone! You will turn into a sociopath, and as a result you will better understand why the sociopaths that run this world make the decisions they do.

The game’s strategy is surprisingly engaging as well. Wrenches will reliably be thrown into your plans and you will be scrambling to come up with new ones to deal with the complications. Maybe you forgot a small detail about the complicated succession law. Maybe your assassination attempt failed and you were revealed as the mastermind, maybe you develop a sickness or get assassinated yourself. The point I’m trying to make is that the game is constantly keeping you on your toes.

In my opinion, this and the role-playing options are the best parts of the game. War is deeper than it initially seems, but it ain’t no Starcraft. The biggest potential turnoff is probably what Trolldefender99 said: you can’t build tall. And by that, he means that you can’t do much with the land once you conquer it. You can definitely build stuff on it, but it’s vastly less deep and satisfying as developing land in something like say Civilization or Endless legend. You also can’t do much in the way of ruling land either. The laws you can pass as king can be divided in essentially 2 categories “Ability to conquer land vs ability to maintain land” or “What specific resources do you want to extract from your land?”. I am oversimplifying, but the point is that you can’t roleplay as good King Arthur. You can’t institute welfare or increase your population’s literacy. Those thing are outside the scope of the game. The game is fundamentally about conquest via sword, dagger, or pen and if that doesn’t appeal to you then you shouldn’t buy it.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 06:49:22 am by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16082 on: July 30, 2019, 09:25:22 pm »

The game is fundamentally about conquest via sword, dagger, or pen and if that doesn’t appeal to you then you shouldn’t buy it.
That said, $1 gets you the base game and pretty much all the "necessary" DLCs (Old Gods, Republic, Sunset Invasion, Legacy of Rome, and Sword of Islam) - I'd say that's a deal if you're at least even somewhat interested in the game.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16083 on: July 30, 2019, 09:52:48 pm »

all the "necessary" DLCs
Where the hell is Reaper's Due and Way of Life in that list?

EDIT: Okay, I checked it out now. It's in the higher tiers
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 09:54:40 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #16084 on: July 31, 2019, 06:29:32 am »

Nestle isn't Swedish, dude
Love, scriver~

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16085 on: July 31, 2019, 06:50:18 am »

Did some googling and changed it to Switzerland. I was pretty close though.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16087 on: August 01, 2019, 12:46:00 am »

close relative to, say, Australia

on topic tho, gmg is still going with its summer sale which is wrapping up soon. one of the big titles is no man's sky which is actually not bad now that its been patched a ton.

https://www.greenmangaming.com/
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16088 on: August 01, 2019, 12:58:16 am »

SPORE is on a decent looking sale on Steam.

Is it any good? Coming as someone who has never played it, and only seen a few videos? My only worry is one of my friends said it gets boring really quick once get to space stage, and me and him have pretty similar tastes in games.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16089 on: August 01, 2019, 07:37:29 am »

What? Sweden is far north of Switzerland, Australia is right there on her eastern border
Love, scriver~

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16090 on: August 01, 2019, 07:39:58 am »

What? Sweden is far north of Switzerland, Australia is right there on her eastern border
Nnnnooooo. Not Australia. Australia isn't.

C'mon scrive, yer not american that level of geography fail isn't allowed :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16091 on: August 01, 2019, 07:45:46 am »

I'm doing the joke, Frumple, knock before you enter ;)
Love, scriver~

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16092 on: August 01, 2019, 01:58:59 pm »

SPORE is on a decent looking sale on Steam.

Is it any good? Coming as someone who has never played it, and only seen a few videos? My only worry is one of my friends said it gets boring really quick once get to space stage, and me and him have pretty similar tastes in games.

I had to return it. It crashes too much on windows 10, which seems to be a common issue with windows 10 and spore. Though some people with windows 10 it plays fine, but it seems still rather common issue.

Weird it has so many issues with windows 10. I've played games from the 1990s without any issue on windows 10. Morrowind is super old and plays fine on windows 10 as well. In any case, buyer beware I guess.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #16093 on: August 01, 2019, 03:00:36 pm »

Morrowind is super old

Morrowind is super old
Morrowind is super old
Morrowind is super old
Morrowind is super old

:'(
*snif* I'm sorry I couldn't help it
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16094 on: August 01, 2019, 05:07:38 pm »

Tohou 8 used to have problems on windows 10, but one day it magically fixed itself. I don't know how, but it's fun to be able to die to Marissa's laser beams again.
Pages: 1 ... 1071 1072 [1073] 1074 1075 ... 1133