Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1075 1076 [1077] 1078 1079 ... 1133

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1386962 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #16140 on: August 31, 2019, 10:05:02 am »

GOG has their Back to School sale on.

Pathologic and Pathologic 2 sound great, but frustrating.
Darkest Dungeon also. Suggestions on which DLC to pick up/ignore for now? It's not a Paradox game (which is why I'll buy it), but there are several DLC available.
I've heard good things about Darksiders (1-3).
Divinity series is also on sale. Very interesting games, but they just feel...slow. Playing Divinity Original Sin 1 and 2 with a friend was fun, but we'd get through like 1-2 fights per night. Or maybe just find and rob a new town.

Any suggestions for me?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #16141 on: August 31, 2019, 10:23:43 am »

I've been eyeing up Pathologic 2 for a little while-- it has some great writers for the English localisation. Note that it's not so much a sequel as a better-budget re-imagining of the first game.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16142 on: August 31, 2019, 12:42:14 pm »

Darkest Dungeon also. Suggestions on which DLC to pick up/ignore for now? It's not a Paradox game (which is why I'll buy it), but there are several DLC available.

The major ones are Crimson Court and Color of Madness. I believe both add extra areas, extra bosses, and at least the Court adds an infection mechanic if you start it that follows you to all the other maps (so you can get infected there too). I suppose they're good, they're more game after all...

The Musketeer DLC is free, I think it's only a reskin of another class, and Shieldbreaker is just an extra class that you can pay for.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16143 on: September 02, 2019, 02:06:55 am »

The major ones are Crimson Court and Color of Madness. I believe both add extra areas, extra bosses, and at least the Court adds an infection mechanic if you start it that follows you to all the other maps (so you can get infected there too). I suppose they're good, they're more game after all...

The Musketeer DLC is free, I think it's only a reskin of another class, and Shieldbreaker is just an extra class that you can pay for.
Note that Crimson Court makes the game harder (and significantly more annoying as well) if you have it enabled and do it, so it might be worth it to not use it for the first run.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16144 on: September 02, 2019, 11:51:53 am »

Re: Darkest Dungeon

Color of Madness adds an endless survival mode to the game as well as a series of trinkets for each character. The survival mode has new enemies with new behaviors that can't be found in the main game. I thought it was interesting.

Shieldbreaker is a very robust class that adds a lot of options to the game, especially for dance parties. It adds a few encounters and couple of strategic items to the game, too. I can't imagine playing without them.

Crimson court is.... uhhm. It has some great features like Flagellants (new class) and Districts (city upgrades) that can be enabled or disabled individually but the main content is so invasive it feels like you're just playing Crimson Court with the base game as a distraction. I liked the new class, the districts, and the IDEA of the mechanics, but in practice almost every area of the game gets more management-intensive as CC steps in to make sure you deal with it.

If you're looking to spend as little as possible, skip CC I guess. I liked it for the extra features and the game was fine with the main content turned off, but was burning out on the game when i turned the main features on so I didn't really find them engaging.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16145 on: September 02, 2019, 07:41:10 pm »

I tried out DD but found it really negative. It just felt like you're punished for doing anything, even just for existing. I suppose that goes hand-in-hand with the grimdark appeal, but I don't need anything else reminding me how futile and pointless life is. I refunded it while I had the chance.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16146 on: September 03, 2019, 10:29:05 am »

Crimson court is.... uhhm. It has some great features like Flagellants (new class) and Districts (city upgrades) that can be enabled or disabled individually but the main content is so invasive it feels like you're just playing Crimson Court with the base game as a distraction. I liked the new class, the districts, and the IDEA of the mechanics, but in practice almost every area of the game gets more management-intensive as CC steps in to make sure you deal with it.

I believe that as long as you don't do any quests in the Courtyard, you won't get any of your heroes infected, which is what triggers the NPC that harasses you everywhere with more infection monsters.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #16147 on: September 03, 2019, 11:38:54 am »

CC is no big deal, IMO. Just build the Vinter as your first town upgrade, and you'll have more than enough blood for your whole roster x2 over, if they were to get infected.

The actual process of playing CC is kind of a slog though, compared to the base game. The levels are absolutely enormous and take several revist trips per boss just to get through them.

Come to that, CC in some ways makes the game dramatically easier. Building the bank essentially nullifies the need for gold. Just hoard about 100k and then the interest week to week will eventually make you more money per week than you could possibly pull out of the dungeon.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 11:42:46 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16148 on: September 04, 2019, 12:26:50 am »

I tried out DD but found it really negative. It just felt like you're punished for doing anything, even just for existing. I suppose that goes hand-in-hand with the grimdark appeal, but I don't need anything else reminding me how futile and pointless life is. I refunded it while I had the chance.
I played on normal and just bounced off. It was a horrible slog, and at best you take 2 steps forwards, and 1.5 steps back. If you made any real mistake though even if nobody dies (eg. you didn't have enough equipment for your expedition so failed to open a few chests or take extra stress, you take a shit ton of stress just because the game likes randomly screwing you over, you underestimated the difficulty and had to go back early), you instead take 3 steps backwards, and have to spend a bunch of time just fixing all the shit that went wrong, and then if you screw up there then you have to spend even *more* time fixing the shit.

Now, none of this truly is a real threat in the end, its just long and every single time you mess up it gets much longer.

On my second attempt however (over a year later) I played on easy. It was a different game, instead of slogging through, then screwing up and having to play for literal hours to fix what went wrong I was playing a game where I could actually progress, where playing well meant that you get constantly get new things, instead of just fixing what was broken. That doesn't mean I didn't screw up, and it doesn't mean it didn't cost me, it just cost me what it would cost me in a more normal game that isn't a literal treadmill simulator.

I am personally a person who plays rougelikes and stuff like dark souls and has no problem with obscenely hard (and even mean spirited) gameplay and even I find this a game that is much more fun played on easy.

Tl;dr easy is more fun and less of a slog, if you have troubles with the game on normal/hard try easy instead.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16149 on: September 04, 2019, 08:23:53 am »

I started on easy, because the game recommended it. Glad I did, it at least let me know what to do. Although it's weird that they keep warning you about how bad leaving a quest without finishing is; that seems like the main way to progress at the start (and is obviously much better than a TPK).

For my playstyle, upgrading the number of heroes in my roster and the number of heroes I see each week is the priority. Having enough people to switch them out when they're stressed means I can adventure for most or all of a dungeon. After that, upgrading the blacksmith and guild so I can level up my characters and get higher-level characters to start (at the wagon again). I think I spent too many resources on sanitarium, tavern, and abbey early. Sanitarium in particular feels like throwing money away; you're going to get new negatives.

I'm now at the point where I can sometimes clear a dungeon with 30-40% stress on a good run, and less if I have a jester. But I'm only on novice missions, sometimes medium length with level 1 characters (which took a lot of grinding to get up to).

Does that sound reasonable? Suggestions?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #16150 on: September 04, 2019, 10:15:28 am »

I always upgraded the Blacksmith and Guild first. I'd only upgrade my guys to Lvl 1 gear. Point being that, the Blacksmith and Guild represent the highest heirloom investment in the game with the most impact, because without gear and skills you won't survive the harder dungeons. All the other buildings remove stress and diseases but you can survive with them minimally upgraded if your runs go well. I only upgrade my guys to the gear and skill level they need to do dungeons because if they die, that investment in them is just gone. So I treat them like they're disposable until I reach escape velocity on cash. Once I have a good amount of cash on hand, the whole party can get stressed, dudes can die, it's all manageable at that point.

Second tip would be: curios. The biggest difference in how much stress I left the dungeon with is the curios. Many of them are not worth fucking around with. For me, before the game actually tracked for you what item had been used on what curio and what the effect was, I used a cheat sheet because I couldn't be assed remembering what I had or hadn't tried. For example, bookcases can give you a random quirk, good or bad, or a shit load of stress. When you do the math, you realize that a) bad quirks are more detrimental to your heroes that good quirks are beneficial, and b) the chances of just getting a boatload of stress are quite high. So when I just started ignoring those problematic curios, my dungeon runs started going a hell of a lot smoother. To the point I'd leave the dungeon with most of the party at 30 stress or lower. Usually the AI figures out the most vulnerable hero to pick on, typically if they have the quirks that make them take more stress damage from specific enemies or in specific dungeons. Not much you can do about that short of the Jester or curios that cure stress. But between the stress heal from crits and killing enemies, and no additional stress from curios, stress management isn't too bad once you understand all the moving parts that affect it.

So my tips are:

-Build the Vinter and the Bank upgrades first when you have the blueprints to do so.
-Upgrade the Stagecoach for larger hero roster ASAP. You need at least 8 heroes to be able to adventure week to week without it turning in to a suicide mission.
-Invest in the Blacksmith and Guild as a priority.
-Don't spend money on upgrading heroes until they absolutely need it for the dungeons they're being sent in to.
-Learn which curios are helpful and which ones are gambles. The Foxx5's Curio Guide on Steam is a great resource if you don't feel like tediously feeling out each combination and paying the price for doing so.
-Prioritize money over heirlooms in your inventory in the beginning. Crests and Deeds are the two most important heirloom types starting out.
-Following that, learn how much of each item you need to take into the dungeon. The less you buy, the less each run costs you, so the more profit you make in the end. My loadout for a short dungeon is usually 6 torches, 8 food, 2 shovels, and at least 2 of each supply item that I know yield good things for the dungeon I'm visiting.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 10:19:13 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16151 on: September 04, 2019, 10:46:09 am »

I also figured at the start you gotta consider your hirelings as disposable, don't spend money on expensive stress or negative trait removal, just use them until they get super stressed and then kick them out.

There are also some mods that can be used, for example I use one that lets you ignore the maximum level requirements of quests. It does make them easier if you abuse it and overlevel a lot, but if you don't, it lets you do the mandatory quest that you missed without sometimes having to kick out forever some of your best people to make room for noobs that can actually go into those dungeons.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 10:53:27 am by Sergius »

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16152 on: September 04, 2019, 08:27:06 pm »

I also figured at the start you gotta consider your hirelings as disposable, don't spend money on expensive stress or negative trait removal, just use them until they get super stressed and then kick them out.
Are you secretly an American CEO

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #16153 on: September 07, 2019, 08:42:38 am »

Kingdom Come: Deliverance is currently free to try out over the weekend on Steam
Love, scriver~

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16154 on: September 08, 2019, 10:18:23 am »

Are any of the games in the current Humble Bundle good? I wasn't a fan of usually-fruitless grind in Borderlands, or the...I guess Pillars of Eternity didn't feel like I could do anything?
Pages: 1 ... 1075 1076 [1077] 1078 1079 ... 1133