Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1076 1077 [1078] 1079 1080 ... 1132

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1369816 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #16155 on: September 08, 2019, 11:39:57 am »

Are any of the games in the current Humble Bundle good? I wasn't a fan of usually-fruitless grind in Borderlands, or the...I guess Pillars of Eternity didn't feel like I could do anything?

I'm not feeling it with that bundle. Buy at the Cat Quest level, maybe.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #16156 on: September 08, 2019, 12:01:16 pm »

I got it for Deep Sky Derelicts and Tyranny. I've found the first to be enjoyable. I saw complaints about energy, but if you treat it like old school D&D dungeons its fine.

Haven't played Tyranny yet, and I've heard mixed things about it. But I really enjoyed playing Pillars of Eternity, so I'll probably like Tyranny too.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 04:45:52 pm by Persus13 »
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16157 on: September 08, 2019, 03:00:42 pm »

Huh. That definitely looks like five bucks worth of game. More than, really, but five bucks for everything except borderlands is, uh. Pretty solid. Most of the sub-15 stuff looks like they'd probably be worth it alone at that price point, nevermind all in one go.

I do remember being interested in DSD in particular at some point. The energy thing was indeed offputting but I got ways to just deal with annoying mechanics like that. Cheat engine, mostly.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #16158 on: September 08, 2019, 04:48:10 pm »

I've played Deep Sky Derelicts, and I have to say, the energy thing isn't really a big issue. It's really more a thing that exists to keep you from just running all over the place, and you can still explore an entire derelict if you're willing to take multiple trips (actually, it will most likely take multiple trips to clear an derelict anyway).

The bigger issue is probably hitpoint/damage inflation from the monsters as the game goes on, although I suppose it's probably only about Darkest Dungeon levels of that, and I probably didn't have the most optimized team. But, yeah, I think it can end up like DD where you face monsters that it takes you a lot of turns to take down, and they deplete your health to the point you need to retreat.

Thinking about it, it really is like a card-based DD, except you have one team and you have more ability to customize them and you don't have to manage anything but hitpoints and gear. Also, you don't lose anyone if they lose all their hitpoints in a fight, you just can't use them until you go back to the station and heal. And exploration is more freeform.

All-in-all, it's pretty good.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16159 on: September 08, 2019, 05:26:54 pm »

I got it for Deep Sky Derelicts and Tyranny. I've found the first to be enjoyable. I saw complaints about energy, but if you treat it like old school D&D dungeons its fine.

Haven't played Tyranny yet, and I've heard mixed things about it. But I really enjoyed playing Pillars of Eternity, so I'll probably like Tyranny too.

I’ve always wanted to get into Tyranny. If I can get it for 5 dollars, then maybe it’s time for me to make a humble account.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16160 on: September 08, 2019, 05:47:18 pm »

I've played Deep Sky Derelicts, and I have to say, the energy thing isn't really a big issue. It's really more a thing that exists to keep you from just running all over the place, and you can still explore an entire derelict if you're willing to take multiple trips (actually, it will most likely take multiple trips to clear an derelict anyway).
Yeah, I'm actually playing it now, and it.... well, like you say. It doesn't actually stop you from exploring a derelict, it just makes you go back, and you'll probably do that a time or two just because something tears you up.

... which is frankly irritating, just like I had worried about when I first heard about it. They could scrap the energy mechanic (or tie it strictly to to in-combat boosts/enviro thing usage, or whatever), and all that would be "lost" is intermittent interruption of game play/exploration to go fix your food clock energy supply. Game seems to flow much better with it just dealt with (i.e. locked at 1k so it stops being a concern), so... that's what I'm doing. Nice game so far, with the food clock equivalent turned off.
Ask not!
Ask!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16161 on: September 08, 2019, 07:22:26 pm »

The bigger issue is probably hitpoint/damage inflation from the monsters as the game goes on, although I suppose it's probably only about Darkest Dungeon levels of that, and I probably didn't have the most optimized team. But, yeah, I think it can end up like DD where you face monsters that it takes you a lot of turns to take down, and they deplete your health to the point you need to retreat.

Thinking about it, it really is like a card-based DD, except you have one team and you have more ability to customize them and you don't have to manage anything but hitpoints and gear. Also, you don't lose anyone if they lose all their hitpoints in a fight, you just can't use them until you go back to the station and heal. And exploration is more freeform.

All-in-all, it's pretty good.

Does it also do the Darkest Dungeon/Nethack BS with "you must have memorized this much wiki to succeed"?

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #16162 on: September 09, 2019, 06:08:59 pm »

Its got a glossary in game, which is fairly nice. But I might not be a good source since I never felt the need to use DD's wiki.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16163 on: September 09, 2019, 06:57:33 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 04:08:59 pm by dragdeler »
let

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16164 on: September 09, 2019, 11:08:44 pm »

Does it also do the Darkest Dungeon/Nethack BS with "you must have memorized this much wiki to succeed"?
From what I've seen so far, not really, and I have pretty low tolerance for nethack level wiki shenanigans. There's some stuff where foreknowledge can mitigate some (mostly energy, from what I've encountered) wastage, but it's not been super major from what I've played up to now. Nix the energy mess and it's even less of a concern.

... also wow, the arena mode for DSD is pretty goddamn brutal. Combat gauntlet, not even sure if you get to heal but if you do the first chance is like eight to ten fights in and the fights by and large do not screw around. It's pretty impressively mean. Techie going heavy shield recovery (or something equivalent) seems near vital.
Ask not!
Ask!

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16165 on: September 10, 2019, 10:25:31 am »

Yeah, I'm actually playing it now, and it.... well, like you say. It doesn't actually stop you from exploring a derelict, it just makes you go back, and you'll probably do that a time or two just because something tears you up.

... which is frankly irritating, just like I had worried about when I first heard about it. They could scrap the energy mechanic (or tie it strictly to to in-combat boosts/enviro thing usage, or whatever), and all that would be "lost" is intermittent interruption of game play/exploration to go fix your food clock energy supply. Game seems to flow much better with it just dealt with (i.e. locked at 1k so it stops being a concern), so... that's what I'm doing. Nice game so far, with the food clock equivalent turned off.

The worst part is that you may think you have enough energy to defeat the boss and go back, but then the fight uses up the energy as well each round/special attack and next thing you know you've won but you can't return without dying.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16166 on: September 10, 2019, 11:33:31 am »

I’ve always wanted to get into Tyranny. If I can get it for 5 dollars, then maybe it’s time for me to make a humble account.

Yeah, I guess I'm curious enough that Tyranny or Cat Quest should be interesting enough to me to be worth $4.50. Honestly, they'd have to be pretty bad to not be worth that.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16167 on: September 10, 2019, 11:53:01 am »

If somebody's feeling especially cheap, they can get Tyranny and/or Cat Quest off of me.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16168 on: September 10, 2019, 12:12:11 pm »

Cat quest seems fairly aggressively alright. Kinda' a kid's ARPG or somethin', could pretty easily be a fairly high class mobile game. Definitely wouldn't call it bad, but it's not something I'd normally consider spending money on. The Immortal thing's probably the crunchier of the (non-borderlands) action-y games in that bundle. Playstyle's pretty reminiscent of several of the isometric ARPGs we've been seeing lately-ish, the Transistor or whatever line of things. Haven't played it much but it also seems more or less okay. Kinda' difficult, too, at least to me.
Ask not!
Ask!

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16169 on: September 10, 2019, 01:29:55 pm »

Underrail is on sale on steam for 50% off, or 44% for both underrail and the recent expansion. Its a really good CRPG, which don't see too many of these days.
Pages: 1 ... 1076 1077 [1078] 1079 1080 ... 1132