Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1077 1078 [1079] 1080 1081 ... 1133

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1382338 times)

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #16170 on: September 10, 2019, 09:46:09 pm »

Stephen's sausage roll is on sale at the humble store at an 85% discount. If you haven't heard of it, it probably won't be much interest to you, but if you've been waiting for a steam discount then this your best bet.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16171 on: September 11, 2019, 08:28:05 am »

Underrail is on sale on steam for 50% off, or 44% for both underrail and the recent expansion. Its a really good CRPG, which don't see too many of these days.

It's one of the few games I'd complain about getting too far into detail on things. Mostly, the qualities that can be output by a crafting check. Pretty good game, though. You can tell it wanted to be a new Fallout/2.

Stephen's sausage roll is on sale at the humble store at an 85% discount. If you haven't heard of it, it probably won't be much interest to you, but if you've been waiting for a steam discount then this your best bet.

I think I got it with some other stuff on Humble. It's...a puzzle game, that's for sure.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16172 on: September 12, 2019, 06:05:35 am »

Monster Hunter World is at half off on Steam. Any thoughts on the game? I've been eyeing it for a while now, I'm just unsure how much I'd actually enjoy it. So far the DS series has been my go to game of such type, MH seems similar enough in the sort of unforgiving combat area but I'm not entirely sure if I'd like the stuff that's different. Any thoughts from you folks?
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #16173 on: September 12, 2019, 10:24:05 am »

Monster Hunter World is at half off on Steam. Any thoughts on the game? I've been eyeing it for a while now, I'm just unsure how much I'd actually enjoy it. So far the DS series has been my go to game of such type, MH seems similar enough in the sort of unforgiving combat area but I'm not entirely sure if I'd like the stuff that's different. Any thoughts from you folks?

This basically describes me to a T, when I was looking at getting MHW. Seen some stuff about it, was interested but wasn't sure I'd like it.

Turns out Monster Hunter World is great, but in a way it requires a commitment to the idea.

I loved it, but my friend could not be brought onboard.

Basically, MHW is a vague simulation of hunting giant monsters. So there's actual work and prep and process to doing it.

You gotta track the monster down. You gotta understand its weaknesses and vulnerabilities if you don't want to get railed. Starting out, not knowing anything or tactics or what not, you will have to wail on it for quite a while until you either kill it or weaken it enough to capture it. It will run, frequently, and you will have to chase it. There are time limits on capturing or killing it (I think like 40 minutes?) You gotta navigate and negotiate the environment while hunting it, whether that's climbing up shit to chase it, or dropping down places to follow it. You will get knocked back, knocked off ledges. Other monsters will interfere in your meticulous hunt. In order to get all the monster parts you need to upgrade the many armor sets and weapon variants, you're going to hunt the same monster many times in a row. There's an element of RNG to which monster parts drop for you, so for some of the rarest monster drops, you will fight and kill or capture them many times. There's many mechanics that are intentionally opaque and a little confusing to understand, like how food buffs work. But the MHW community has cranked out tons of videos explaining how things work and what the optimal methods for doing things are. And it's a Japanese game so things like matchmaking and coop are incredibly wonky in their design compared to how western games handle it.

Lastly, what weapon you choose to use has a HUGE IMPACT on how the game plays for you. Each weapon has a different style, different attack speed, wildly different combos and meta systems in them. Picking a weapon you don't like or don't feel you can use effectively can absolutely torpedo your sense of fun in the game. That said, there's a lot to choose from and you can change or build new weapons at any time. So if you do some research or try to find the one that works for you, and then start investing in upgrading it, you'll be fine. There's a good variety weapon types and 4.2 million upgrades for them when you take them all together, so unless you plan to play MHW until the end of time, it's best to pick a single weapon type and become a master of it. If you're like me and hunt a ton of stuff and collect everything you can, it's not hard to have enough materials to build whatever you want without investing a crazy amount of time doing so.

For my friend it all felt like work rather than fun. Granted, he's uh...particular in what his sense of fun allows. He felt the time pressure, felt frustrated by the combat, I think his choice of weapon (Dual Daggers) hurt his ability to enjoy the game as well. He loves Dark Souls but feels like MHW isn't in the same bag of "skill and pattern based combat." I thoroughly disagree because I feel like he didn't put in the time really, and gets easily frustrated by failure. He prefers quick weapons and quick movement and the overall flow of MHW combat isn't that, it's more meticulous and measured. He gave it the ol college try, but it just wasn't for him.

For me, initially, it was a bit of a struggle. MHW throws you in to pretty much all game mechanics from the outset, so there is a lot to take in. It feels a bit like an MMO with MMO depth and complexity starting out. But after my first few hunts, I was in love. It's a visually stunning game, the fights are cinematic, the music is great, the level design is pretty good, especially the first area of the game. I had a few hours of "WTF HOW DO YOU DO THIS" but eventually it clicked, and then I was coasting. I enjoy the combat although it can feel clunky and slow compared to other faster paced games. Positioning is everything in MHW, as opposed to something like Dark Souls where, at the end of the day, you can kinda just roll out of most problems. Not so in MHW. Learning the monster, when and how it's safe to attack it, and mastering your weapon's move set so you always have the best positioning possible are key to both successfully playing the game and enjoying it. And the tougher the monsters are, the less margin for error you have. Getting one shot or nearly one shot by certain attacks is a thing that happens, and it can be really discouraging starting out to get wasted in the first few minutes of a hunt. Just like Dark Souls though, there is that element of "git gud" and for me, the payoff of actually beating a monster that you really struggled with. I remember when I first fought Rathian I was like "how on Earth are you ever supposed to fight this thing." Now I eat Rathian's for lunch.....most of the time.

Once you're comfortable, there's a wealth of options for how to fight monsters, how to attack their vulnerabilities, use the environment to help you, etc...IMO the game gets dramatically easier once you've started upgrading weapons and can choose the one that's best for the hunt you're facing. Starting out when you just have basic, non-elemental weapons, it takes a bit more effort to bring down a monster. Once the monsters start having elemental weaknesses, and you have weapons that deal that damage type, the fights aren't quite as grueling.

And beyond the actual hunts, there's a fair amount of side activities and quests and what not to do in each area, secrets etc...so it's got that element of exploration as well.

I'd also say that the vast majority of the game is enjoyable solo. Technically you can fight all the monsters solo but many of the special end game ones are designed as group fights. But I think I put 140 hours in to the game completely solo without much issue. After hunting solo for so long, playing with another person almost feels like cheating.

It gets both thumbs up from me, but like I said, it's the kind of game you have to commit to, to get the most out of it. It's not a casual affair.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 11:24:16 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16174 on: September 12, 2019, 11:31:17 am »

For what it's worth, I was sold on my first Souls game (Demon's) on the premise it might be kind of like Monster Hunter... it wasn't, really, but I fell in love with that series in a big way anyway. The two series have some similarities but definitely have very distinct gameplay "feels" to them.

I'm not unbiased since MonHun has been one of my favourite game series of all time for over a decade. I love them mainly because of the scale ("boss" fights that require thoughtful preparation and can take 30+ minutes and have you ranging all over the map in pursuit to finally bring them down) and the corresponding sense of accomplishment when you finally defeat them (and immediately craft cool pants out of their earthly remains).

I've sunk 350+ hours into MHW on PS4, and that was before buying the post-game expansion that came out last week.

I also can't emphasize the weapon choice thing enough. I play solo a lot, but my hunting team of friends over the years has consisted of myself (Sword & Shield), a Lance-user and a Heavy Bowgun user, and it's honestly like we're playing three different games.
Sword and Shield is super versatile: very fast attacks, the ability to dodge and reposition easily, use items at any time, block attacks in a pinch (with lots of knockback) etc.... I spend my fights constantly in motion, dancing around the monsters' feet and running around hitting any openings I can find.
Lances are the tank weapon: You can barely move while your weapon is drawn, and putting it away takes a lot longer... but you don't *have* to move as much, because you have a huge shield and can basically just sit there with your shield up while a 30-foot-tall monster charges into your face and laugh as it deals no damage. This trivializes some monster attacks I find extremely dangerous with my weapon, but makes others I can easily avoid much more dangerous (as not everything is blockable).
Bowguns are a ranged weapon I admit I can barely wrap my head around: You're firing different types of ammo at the monster from a distance, and mobility with your weapon drawn is an issue. I gather it involves a huge amount of positioning and trying to control distance from the monster while it's running around, as well as a ton of resource management (as ammunition consists of actual items that need to be crafted/replenished between/during fights). It's not for me, but apparently my friend finds it extremely fun and rewarding.

And that's just 3 of the 14 weapon types available in World. Many of them have unique gameplay mechanics, or can switch between different forms with different combos, etc. Picking one and sticking with it is definitely the way to go. If you do end up buying it, the game helpfully starts you out with one of each weapon type to test out in the training arena so you can experiment with them.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #16175 on: September 12, 2019, 11:40:02 am »

For me, I went for the basic bitch Long Sword, which is the most commonly used weapon in the game. Has really good reach but low maneuverability when the weapon is drawn, and when you start swinging you're basically stuck in position. The Long Sword's gameplay revolves around completing your 4 or 5 hit combo multiple times. The finishing move of that combo, if it connects, builds up a power meter on the weapon. Once you've built a level of power, you can launch this super weeb attack where you first charge with the longsword, and if the attack connects, you shoot up in to the air and the come down with a mega slam strike that hits 10+ times as it connects for big damage, IF it connects. Consistently hitting the monster with your combos to build up max power then nailing them with the super weeb attack right in their dumb face is what the whole weapon is about. (Plus a few other fiddly moves like a counter dodge.)

So for the longsword, learning what windows of opportunity there are for you to complete at least one full combo is the entire focus of the weapon. Maneuvering around the monster as it attacks to leave you in a good position to launch your combo is where the positioning comes in. Learning when to launch the super weeb attack so it connects dead on with the monster's head or tail or wings is where the finesse comes in. Lots of times you'll think you have it in the bag, and the monster will move *just* a little bit, causing you to either hit the body or miss entirely.

I'll also add that, from a mechanical customization standpoint, MHW offers a lot once you're in to the mid game. Between the armor you choose to wear and the buffs/perks they grant, the weapon properties, and the little gem thingies you start earning that slot in to your gear, creating a "build" in MHW is fairly satisfying while also not being overly, burdensomely complex.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 11:49:35 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16176 on: September 12, 2019, 11:47:18 am »

You could also grab it off of chrono for 57% off today only.(it is a steam key) https://www.chrono.gg/

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16177 on: September 12, 2019, 12:07:09 pm »

Endless Space Collection is free on Humble for a limited time. That limited time appears to be less than 5 minutes.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16178 on: September 12, 2019, 12:36:36 pm »

It's over a day by my view. Do note that's just endless space and its disharmony expansion, near as I can tell, and requires signing up to their newsletter.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16179 on: September 12, 2019, 01:03:03 pm »

Now it started coming through. It was just going to the store page at full price. I never saw it yesterday and I was browsing the site quite a bit.

I guess I own it.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 08:15:52 pm by BigD145 »

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16180 on: September 12, 2019, 05:58:03 pm »

Now it started coming through. It was just going to the store page at full price. I never saw it yesterday and I was browsing the site quite a bit.

I guess I own it. Free key 0NP7E-TRG7L-AEKE2

I got the key. Thanks for the key :) Though may be best not to put the cd key with the post. There are bots that scour forums for free keys.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16181 on: September 12, 2019, 08:16:27 pm »

I guess I own it. Free key 0NP7E-TRG7L-AEKE2

I got the key. Thanks for the key :) Though may be best not to put the cd key with the post. There are bots that scour forums for free keys.

Eh. Whatever. It's a time limited key anyway.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #16182 on: September 12, 2019, 08:58:59 pm »

I also have a limited time key if a non-lunatic wants to PM me for it.

marples

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16183 on: September 13, 2019, 04:56:06 am »

Endless Space key **63E-JE8H7-I0*3D where * is the letter that completes *inal *antasy.

EDIT. I'll also give another thumbs up for Monster Hunter World. I got it last month, and have been playing solo, and having a thoroughly great time.

I use the great sword, which is probably the slowest weapon in the game, and some moves have a wind-up that needs to be started a week in advance. I like the chaos that can arise during some hunts, like when other monsters intrude on your fight.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 05:07:03 am by marples »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16184 on: September 13, 2019, 08:17:51 am »

Monster Hunter World is fun. I started with the switch axe, but ended up mostly using the heavy bow gun.

Endless Space key **63E-JE8H7-I0*3D where * is the letter that completes *inal *antasy.

EDIT. I'll also give another thumbs up for Monster Hunter World. I got it last month, and have been playing solo, and having a thoroughly great time.

I use the great sword, which is probably the slowest weapon in the game, and some moves have a wind-up that needs to be started a week in advance. I like the chaos that can arise during some hunts, like when other monsters intrude on your fight.
Nabbed the key, thank ye kindly.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...
Pages: 1 ... 1077 1078 [1079] 1080 1081 ... 1133