Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1080 1081 [1082] 1083 1084 ... 1133

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1385397 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #16215 on: October 01, 2019, 06:49:18 am »

I think by "ego shooters" they mean "power fantasy", but not sure.

So it's politically charged?

What's politically charged about that?
Love, scriver~

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #16216 on: October 01, 2019, 08:42:04 am »

would that be a shooter were you have to look the protagonist in the eyes at all time?
It'd be one where you were the mook getting shot :P

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16217 on: October 01, 2019, 09:08:05 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 04:09:31 pm by dragdeler »
let

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #16218 on: October 01, 2019, 09:21:16 am »

...I disagree about that. I dont think it's politically charged at all. At most I'd call it elitistically charged in that "power fantasy" is rarely used to describe anything but culture you look down upon. But I don't think there's anything political about it.

But then again I also use "regime" as if it was a neutral because I don't know any better/more proper translation in English of our "regering" and they begin with the same latin/french-derived reg-
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16219 on: October 01, 2019, 09:22:18 am »

Ego Shooters?

It's an alternate term for an FPS... may include TPS nowadays though. I've heard two different explanations for the term-- that it's based on something in German, or that it's how you're basically dropping into somebody else's head.

Both those explanations are the same explanation
http://www.majstro.com/Web/Majstro/bdict.php?gebrTaal=eng&bronTaal=deu&doelTaal=eng&teVertalen=Ego
Ego just means "self" in German. They say "ego shooter" to mean "self shooter" because "first person shooter" doesn't correctly translate into German to convey the right concept. It just means that the character's viewpoint is your viewpoint.

The term's origin has nothing to do with the concept of a "big ego" or power fantasy.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 09:26:44 am by Reelya »

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16220 on: October 01, 2019, 09:29:04 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 04:09:27 pm by dragdeler »
let

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16221 on: October 01, 2019, 09:31:25 am »

Sure, but the connotations in English are a lot different, since it's become synonymous with arrogance, whereas Freud clearly meant it just to mean the conscious self.

In Freud's system the superego are those constraints such as morality, guilt etc, the subconscious is things we don't realize are there but affect us, ego is literally just the thing in the middle: consciousness in it's entirety, and not just the bad bits, as most people use the word in English.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 09:33:51 am by Reelya »

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #16222 on: October 01, 2019, 09:32:41 am »

Regime is actually a great example because in certain contexts, like political science, is a generally neutral term as well. It just gets used as a negative term elsewhere.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16223 on: October 01, 2019, 09:36:56 am »

Should there be, like, a game terminology thread or something?

Kindergarten is pretty cheap right now on Steam, if murderous children are your thing and you haven't gotten your fill from like 30 YouTube channels.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16224 on: October 01, 2019, 10:08:56 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 04:09:23 pm by dragdeler »
let

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16225 on: October 01, 2019, 01:06:09 pm »

Incidentally, for those people who've been occasionally peeking at the X-PiratezopenXcom thread and want to know what's going on, you can get the entire X-COM collection for something in the vicinity of 3$. (That is to say, the entire original series, not the new one.)
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16226 on: October 01, 2019, 01:13:33 pm »

you can get the entire X-COM collection for something in the vicinity of 3$. (That is to say, the entire original series, not the new one.)

Do this. And then go in search of xcomutil and related chicanery to fix the multitude of bugs, game breaking and otherwise.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16227 on: October 01, 2019, 02:09:11 pm »

would that be a shooter were you have to look the protagonist in the eyes at all time?
I imagine it would be something like only being able to see your character through the eyes of someone that isn't your character. So, like, you'd see yourself through the eyes of the people shooting at you... Which would make movement and aiming more than slightly difficult.

It'd also raise a dilemma: Shoot the person firing at you and lose your camera, or don't shoot them so you can still see where you're going... While getting shot at.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16228 on: October 01, 2019, 02:17:53 pm »

I imagine it would be something like only being able to see your character through the eyes of someone that isn't your character. So, like, you'd see yourself through the eyes of the people shooting at you... Which would make movement and aiming more than slightly difficult.

It'd also raise a dilemma: Shoot the person firing at you and lose your camera, or don't shoot them so you can still see where you're going... While getting shot at.

Wasn't there an oldish shooter where the entire game took place from security cameras? Which meant you could actually shoot out the cameras and were left blind (until you left the area and came back) and had to deal with grainy, staticky images?
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #16229 on: October 04, 2019, 12:25:14 pm »

GOG is having their 11th anniversary sales..good for them I guess but the sales seem to be a little lackluster. Don't get me wrong there are some great discounts but their collection feel stale since all of them have been in lots of other sales events throughout the year.

Personal recommendations: Gothic 1 + Gothic 2, both of them have a somewhat wonky control system but it works quite well once you get used to it and they also offer a solid rpg experience. Gothic 3 is a bit of clusterfuck (story wise) but it has more user friendly controls.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.
Pages: 1 ... 1080 1081 [1082] 1083 1084 ... 1133