Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1088 1089 [1090] 1091 1092 ... 1132

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1370012 times)

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #16335 on: November 28, 2019, 01:57:29 am »

Whats? Disco Elysium?

It's an RPG where you stats give you advice on what to do. The higher they are, the better advice they give you, I think.

So... its a fresh take on RPG. It could be interesting to know which weapon is better against an enemy or something.

theres no combat. well, there is, but its more a measure of your stats, precautions you can take and your "gear". also, if the stats are *too* high, they'll actually begin taking over. mind you, im talking about power leveling a skill or two wayy above the others.

don't let this deter you though, its damn good if you are patient enough to read.
Yeah, I've had a case where my overleveld skill gave me bad advice and the second time it happened my character actually got an option to call it out on that.

And it's damn great.

I have super high logic for some reason (like a base of 12 or so) and got advice from one that turned out somewhat questionable... after following it, the response was like, "Okay, so they're irrational. Can't win 'em all." The advice is usually sound, but not always.

Also, if you get past strikers into the harbor, make sure you talk to the boss. Based on responses, I appear to be the first person that managed to permanently lock myself out of a major plot point that you aren't supposed to be able to.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16336 on: November 28, 2019, 02:08:43 am »

Now that I think about it, I remember thinking that Graveyard Keeper was an okay game that appeared to be trying as hard as it could to be bad. There were just a LOT of terrible decisions that didn't need to be that way or didn't seem to do anything or then needed to be balanced out by a different poor decision.

Alchemy is probably the worst, though. It's a cool system on paper: You break items down into powders, liquids, or essences, then combine them to get cool effects. Failures give goo, which can then be refined back into the aforementioned ingredient types. So if you need lightning powder but don't have an item that breaks down into that, but you DO know a combination that gives lightning goo, you can inefficiently launder existing ingredients into what you need.

Needless to say it's terrible.

To start with, it's a clunky system because you need a different crafting bench to extract each ingredient, and then there's two different alchemy benches for some reason. And these need to be finagled into the limited and awkwardly shaped space of your basement because reasons. And then you'll quickly fill up storage with the massive quantity of elements divided among three different ingredient shapes- no four, remember you need oozes too. And that's not including storage space for the base items you actually break down. And as I recall items themselves list their elements but not the ingredient type? Or maybe the other way around, so maybe you know butterfly wings give powder and essence but can't be turned into liquids, but you just have to remember they're Chaos element, as I recall. Ditto-ish with the actual recipes- they show up on one of the crafting benches under the recipes tab, but I seem to recall it not tracking them on the other bench or when you're experimenting or something, so you're kind of flying dark unless you run over to check. Needless to say, it absolutely doesn't track which combos you've tried or which goos they give on failing. Oh, and the goos they give are semi-random, there's two types it can give for some reason, so that laundering scheme I talked about is doubly inefficient on top of its normal inefficiency, assuming you remember (or ever find out) what a given failed combo provides.

So again, problems on problems and most of them sound like they'd be pretty easy to tweak to make playable, but for some reason they very deliberately went for this. Of course, none of this is the real issue anyway: The real issue is that there are only a handful of recipes in the game, so blind exploration through three ingredient forms and dozens of elements gives you garbage almost every time. The game realizes this and has a solution: It just hands or strongly hints at any recipe you actually need to have. So after all that STUFF, the whole system is basically nonfunctional anyway.

So yeah. Most of the game isn't nearly that bad, but a LOT of it suffers from this infuriating tendency to swerve hard to avoid being good.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #16337 on: November 28, 2019, 04:09:58 am »

Don't buy graveyard keeper. That's my suggestion. The game is so time sensitive that you end up constantly feeling stressed out. You can't relax at all while playing it. Opening up the skill tree doesn't even pause the game for goodness sake!

Sorry if I'm a bit ranty. I just found it extremely frustrating.
But there are literally no time-sensitive things in the game that I can think of... you can take as long as you want to do almost anything.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16338 on: November 28, 2019, 04:18:07 am »

In the long run, yes. In the short term, it takes nearly a full day just to walk across town, and there are several NPCs you need to interact with who only exist for part of one day per week.

So, sure, you can take as many weeks as you want with trying to get the stuff to one of the NPCs in order to advance the game... But you're gonna spend several days just finding busywork to pass the time because you were just a little too slow walking to where he stands and he left for another week.

Sime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16339 on: November 28, 2019, 04:27:57 am »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16340 on: November 28, 2019, 05:08:46 am »

My biggest gripe with GK was that it insisted on tasks using both time and energy, which always felt like a redundant thing that made planning for stuff extra irritating. SV picked energy and most tasks required one or two swings and that was it, you were free to map out your day as desired/needed. In GK you might want to craft some wood for that upgrade you need or a piece of whatever, first the chopping down takes a bit, then you gotta go and stand at the bench for half a fucking day to process it all into something useable. And it feels like pointlessly padding out the game to distract the player from something. Similarly, the metric fuckton of different resources whose only purpose seems to be to have a use for a bunch of different storages, all of which unconnected and only accessible by directly walking to them, so you gotta keep in mind at all times what you left where, otherwise you're gonna have to do some more walking trying to figure out which container has the one thing you need.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #16341 on: November 28, 2019, 05:49:22 am »

In the long run, yes. In the short term, it takes nearly a full day just to walk across town, and there are several NPCs you need to interact with who only exist for part of one day per week.

So, sure, you can take as many weeks as you want with trying to get the stuff to one of the NPCs in order to advance the game... But you're gonna spend several days just finding busywork to pass the time because you were just a little too slow walking to where he stands and he left for another week.
Walking to town and other places is pretty quick through the tunnels though. I've never had an issue getting where I needed to go before the NPC vanishes.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16342 on: November 28, 2019, 10:36:43 am »

I've played Graveyard Keeper and finished it, the only times I was annoyed was when I forgot I had to do something a certain day and then had to wait the whole week again. Near the end I had so little to do that I just kept sleeping to get over it. Best way to do it if you don't care about other stuff is to grab a sword and slash like crazy 'til you run out of energy then sleep, repeat.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16343 on: November 28, 2019, 10:52:25 am »

Don't buy graveyard keeper. That's my suggestion. The game is so time sensitive that you end up constantly feeling stressed out. You can't relax at all while playing it. Opening up the skill tree doesn't even pause the game for goodness sake!

Sorry if I'm a bit ranty. I just found it extremely frustrating.
But there are literally no time-sensitive things in the game that I can think of... you can take as long as you want to do almost anything.

That part looked like Shenmue. You have to do things at a certain time, but you don't have to do them *now*. Combined with the "you have x time per day, and it's not quite enough unless you're efficient" from harvest moon-type games.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #16344 on: November 28, 2019, 11:09:32 am »

Yeah, the game is so forgiving you can take your time doing anything. Don't want to deal with corpses? Don't even bother putting carrots in the till for a while. Have some you don't want to deal with? Chuck em in the river. Nobody cares. It's such a chill at-your-own-pace game I cannot understand the whole "I don't have time" complaint.

Edit: Also once you get zombie-powered farms and labor and such you're almost on autopilot for many tasks.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 11:11:21 am by forsaken1111 »

Ametsala

• Bay Watcher
  • "needs chocolate to get through the working day"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16345 on: November 28, 2019, 11:49:36 am »

Gog's got Black Friday sale until 3rd December. They've got some flash deals as well, which they decided to release all at once this time. The first flash deals end in about 5 hours, and the last in about 11 hours.

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16346 on: November 28, 2019, 12:16:34 pm »

I've been checking out all of the different stores and they all seem to be running the same discounts on shared games which is slightly disappointing since I had $100 walmart visa gift card to spend.  Ended up dropping most of it on Humble Bundle since they currently have the Unreal Development bundle and Music and Sound FX bundle.  They also have an interesting looking Pathfinder E-Book bundle currently.

I also picked up XCom 2 collection off Steam, something like $20.83 USD for the whole collection was nice.

Also got Outward which has been surprising in unexpected ways.  When it said survival/crafting with Darksouls like combat I was expecting something more like Conan Exiles, but that was far from the case.  The "crafting" is mostly food and potion prep with some "get you back on your feet" weapons and armor recipes and placing tents and campfires.  Nothing in depth, but it makes sense given the amount of traveling around you do.  The combat could be more responsive, but it's serviceable, and I really enjoy the fact that things will happen out of your control, the game wont wait for you so to speak.  This can lead to some long term consequences like losing one of your houses and everything stored in it.  All and All it's a pretty solid game from a pretty small development team and worth the sale price

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16347 on: November 28, 2019, 01:49:47 pm »

I put this in the Dom 5 thread, tbh I meant it for here but at least it still fits there. But I picked up Dominions 5. I played 4th one on a free weekend, pretty sure was 4th one and it was a ton of fun. So Dom 5 should be just as fun. Even if it was a bit out my budget this month (a little more than double my budget lol). But 40% off is pretty good, especially for Dominions that don't go on big sales too often.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16348 on: November 28, 2019, 02:36:13 pm »

Gog's got Black Friday sale until 3rd December. They've got some flash deals as well, which they decided to release all at once this time. The first flash deals end in about 5 hours, and the last in about 11 hours.

Older Anno's are quite a bargain. They don't go any lower than a buck and a half.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #16349 on: November 28, 2019, 04:22:27 pm »

Holy shit gog has too many games on sale to properly review! From skimming over the first 10 or so pages:

Kenshi is 33% off in GOG coming at about 18 EUR / 20 USD. Think warband, with more survivalism, more exploration, less conquering, more base building/crafting and harsher/gorier but less interactive combat. It's a very decent price in my opinion, but I have to mention that the steam version gets access to a larger variety of mods by virtue of having most of the modding community at the steam workshop. For non steam users, there is a good selection of kenshi mods on nexus.

Slay the Spire is 25% off on both GOG and Steam. One of the best deck building game out there. The roguelite elements (random maps, random events, random loot) ensure quite a long self life. Highly recommended. Steam version has again easier access to mods and the experimental versions.

Commandos 2+3 are at ~ 4,5 EUR / 5 USD both at GOG. Commandos 2 is an exellent game, C3 is... meh? Disapointing? C2 alone is worth the price despite its age. Some people have reported problems with it on newer systems, so take a look on the reviews for more info. Recommended for anyone looking for a squad/stealth based game.

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault War Chest is at ~ 2,3 EUR / 2,5 USD at GOG. It's a decent fps if you didn't get the chance to play it when it was first released, nothing groundbreaking by today's standards and the graphics are definitely dated. The base game has a few quite memorable soundtracks Recommended for the fans, I guess.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.
Pages: 1 ... 1088 1089 [1090] 1091 1092 ... 1132