Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1105 1106 [1107] 1108 1109 ... 1133

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1385456 times)

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #16590 on: May 05, 2020, 03:18:31 pm »

Honestly, I still want to try death stranding. I can't wait for the PC port to come out this summer. Unless it's been delayed due to corona.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #16591 on: May 05, 2020, 07:37:20 pm »

Yeah Konami didn’t allow Kohima to properly finish one of the most popular gaming series of ever, and actively engaged in making him leave the company, which is bananas.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16592 on: May 06, 2020, 05:00:25 am »

Apparently the experience is (according to my friend) considerably more tense and exciting before you accidentally crash into one of the deadites with your electric bicycle and realize that they can't go faster than about 5 mph.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16593 on: May 06, 2020, 09:25:09 am »

https://store.steampowered.com/sale/IndieMEGABOOTH

Whole buncha games on sale over there.

Edit: Star Crawlers and To Be or Not to Be are both good games I've played, and they're cheap. I've not played most of the rest to give an opinion.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 10:09:59 am by Iduno »

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16594 on: May 06, 2020, 10:54:30 am »

https://store.steampowered.com/sale/IndieMEGABOOTH

Whole buncha games on sale over there.

Burly Men At Sea is a pretty cool artistic experiment and I don't regret having it via PS+, but I'd never consider paying for it. (It's basically a series of branching vignettes... and you can actually purchase a hardcopy of your adventure, hardcover, for like 30$. Each adventure takes like 15 minutes.)
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16595 on: May 06, 2020, 11:30:34 am »

StarCrawlers for 90% off is a really good deal - it's the closest I've seen to a Wizardry 7/8 game with modern design. It doesn't perfectly scratch that itch, but it does a pretty good job, manages to be replayable enough for a couple NewGame+-es, and is quite polished for what it is.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16596 on: May 06, 2020, 12:17:35 pm »

StarCrawlers for 90% off is a really good deal - it's the closest I've seen to a Wizardry 7/8 game with modern design. It doesn't perfectly scratch that itch, but it does a pretty good job, manages to be replayable enough for a couple NewGame+-es, and is quite polished for what it is.

I really wanted to like StarCrawlers, but the combat - a pretty core feature - feels really bland, more about managing your own mana/resource than actually engaging with the enemies.

Still, 2 bucks is a pretty low barrier for entry. And it's got a pretty decent Ben Prunty (of FTL fame) soundtrack. Edit: and that soundtrack is also 90% off on Steam, making it just 59 cents(!). Though supporting the artist through Bandcamp is always recommended when financially feasible.

Offering my own sale mention, I already mentioned it in the new Siralim thread but may as well mention here: Siralim 3 is 75% off, making it under 4 bucks. A fun, streamlined monster-battler experience. A more focused (and better, in my opinion) version of Pokemon or Dragon Quest Monsters.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 12:20:48 pm by Dostoevsky »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16597 on: May 06, 2020, 01:23:40 pm »

It gets a bit more interactive with more abilities - there's very-lategame fights where juggling stuns, taunts, etc. on enemies is crucial to not getting erased. Still, the mechanics are more than a little MMO-ish, yes. That's a very fair criticism.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16599 on: May 06, 2020, 07:33:28 pm »

It's fun. The combat is indeed meh-ish - not terrible, but repetitive, so far unchallenging, and hard to keep track of what's going on. But the dungeoneering and the management part are fun. I've been meaning to give it a try for some time now, and at that price it's a steal.

Now that I've played both, I can't help but wonder how very similar to Deep Sky Derelicts this is. Mechanically, they're nearly identical. And yet, this one somehow feels much more fun. I can't quite put the finger on what the magic ingredient is.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #16600 on: May 06, 2020, 08:41:16 pm »

I´ve been meaning to get into DSD as an alternate Darkest Dungeon... but I find card systems a bit obnoxious. I have it on my Dell XPS 13 as part of my ultraportable travel kit (it´s mostly a work PC.... but I´m happy to be able to have a full spread of games to pass time, as it doubles as my travel-anywhere PC). BUt I´m still to get into it.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 08:03:39 am by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #16601 on: May 06, 2020, 08:50:18 pm »

I´ve been meaning to get into DSD as an alternate Darkest Dungeon... but I find card systems a bit obnoxious. I have it on my Dell XPS 13 as part of my ultraportable travel kit (it´s mostly a work PC.... but I´m happy to be able to have a full spread of games to pass time, as it doubles as my travel-anywhere PC)
What is DSD?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16602 on: May 06, 2020, 09:18:43 pm »

What is DSD?

I'm assuming Deep Sky Derelicts, which Il Palazzo mentions above.

It's fun. The combat is indeed meh-ish - not terrible, but repetitive, so far unchallenging, and hard to keep track of what's going on. But the dungeoneering and the management part are fun. I've been meaning to give it a try for some time now, and at that price it's a steal.

I will grant it that. The procgen dungeons suffer a bit in that way procgen pretty much always does, but they do nail the setting and feeling of derelict-diving and whatnot. Even if the combat feels bland the class and equipment options themselves are pretty neat, which does help with the management side of things.

It's been many versions since I last played it, admittedly, so maybe they've improved the combat some since then.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16603 on: May 07, 2020, 12:04:53 am »

They improved the hacking part - it's less tedious and they fixed some really evil bugs, plus they added hacking-only missions if you're short on cash but don't feel up to running meatspace missions - but it still feels a bit tacked on and not strictly necessary.

They also just this week updated the graphics slightly with a "beautify" update where the work they were doing for their next game resulted in better sharpness and lighting on StarCrawlers' engine.

DSD isn't bad either, but I agree with everyone else that it feels indistinctly meh. I'm not a huge fan of the art style, but it's cohesive and not awful... What really annoyed me was the exploration map. It just didn't feel immersive - it was weirdly abstract. It honestly might just be that the UI in general felt really clunky. That's the impression that stuck with me after I set it down temporarily and never got around to picking it back up.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16604 on: May 07, 2020, 03:32:29 am »

Evil Genius is free right now: https://rebellion.com/evil-genius-now-available-free/

I have Evil Genius on DVD. Not that it's a bad game but it takes a while to finish and by that time you've thoroughly seen everything the game has to offer ... about 10 times over.

That's probably the worst thing about the game, completing all the objectives just takes way longer than the amount of actual interesting content the game throws at you. You'll spend ages more or less just waiting for meters to fill up for all the components for your super-weapon. Get research happening ASAP because of this, there are a lot of research things to get through, so don't leave it for later unless you like waiting. Also be aware that there are two islands, and once you complete a certain amount of objectives you move to the bigger island. You lose your first base at this point, so don't get too fussy over the layout for that one, use it to learn the ropes.

EDIT: I'll also mention that your minions really do have a tendency to get gridlocked with the path-finding. You might want to take that into account and lay out a network of 2-wide corridor for your core areas to make sure there are plenty of ways to get around. I think you can put lockers along corridors without restricting movement however, so that becomes storage space too.

It also has a bunch of features that feel unfinished to the point the game would be better off if they simply didn't exist, such as the thing where you build hotels as the "front" for your secret island. The hotels really suck and basically don't do anything fun. The main thing that hotels do is that you can fill them with locked doors (tiny rooms) and the enemy agents get curious about what's in there and spend all their time shooting the doors open. That was the only use for them that I found. you want 2 hotels on one part of the island where your minions don't tend to path through. The agents will go from one hotel to the other "investigating".

EDIT: one thing this game really lacks is the ability to brainwash enemy agents. You get regular agents and super-agents, and the ability to get a cadre of brainwashed regular agents would have been awesome. You can interrogate and confuse agents but not convert them.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 03:57:53 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 1105 1106 [1107] 1108 1109 ... 1133