Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1122 1123 [1124] 1125 1126 ... 1133

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1382849 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #16845 on: July 12, 2021, 06:50:27 pm »

Dungeonmans, a fairly stupid and entertaining roguelike with graphics is on sale. It's what a lot of people expected rogue legacy to be like: has a legacy system but it's actually a roguelike.

It's got a fairly interesting level-up mechanic where you choose from any skill "tree" you want. Trees are only 3 items deep (one is 2), but there are quite a few of them. One set of skills (Southern Gentleman - their berserker) also has a power bar that counts down in real time, which makes for an interesting challenge build. Unlike Rogue Legacy, it's designed to be be possible to beat with a single character if you're good (even I did it once), but if you die, future characters get bonuses based on how well you did, including your weapon gaining some additional buffs if a future character finds your corpse. If you don't like that, there's an ironman option as well. It's old enough that you should be able to find a video if you're not sure if you want it or not.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #16846 on: July 21, 2021, 02:39:40 pm »

humble bundle has the very good heart of iron iv at 1e https://www.humblebundle.com/games/hearts-of-iron

a big expansion of the logistic system is behind the corner, which address one of the few criticism of this version. it's spades more accessible than previous hearth of iron versions, and still interesting enough, and has a good half dozen of total conversion floating around, from fallout, to modern era, to wwi, and it's all around one of my favorite clausewitz engine games.

most dlc are for specific area of interest and the game hasn't got any glaring holes by default, albeit I strongly suggest at least man the guns, since it transform the naval game and provides a great deal of depth and customization to one of the most overlooked aspect of other wwii titles.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #16847 on: October 29, 2021, 12:12:37 am »

Looks like a Steam Halloween sale is running. I have committed to the Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries: Dropship edition at 40% off as well as the Imperator: Rome DLC Heirs to Alexander at 50% off, and that's about my budget for now.

The former is of a classic series that led me to pretending I was a 40ft stompy robot and armed with snowballs in my distant, perhaps mispent childhood.

The second is because I gave Imperator a bad review before it's final 2.0 patch came out if I remember correctly, and I recently reinstalled it and had more fun this time. Such self-guilt can be assuaged with $5 and a review rewrite perhaps. This is a rare chance to obtain all the DLC I don't have for a paradox game for a single digit sum. Sometimes I put off installing those games in the mad ambition of having all the DLCs one day.

Anyone else see anything good? I'm tempted about Battle Brothers due to some LPs I read in Play With Your Buddies, but the bundle is still up there even at I think it was 40% or 50% off.

EDIT2: Above rant semi-invalidated by a simple search function:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/641780/discussions/0/3118172724636581954/

There seem to be limited options for keybinding. Here was my suggestion in a handy thread I saw on the first page:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/641780/discussions/0/3118172724636581954/
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 01:16:15 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16848 on: October 29, 2021, 04:17:57 am »

The entire Tomb Raider series is damn cheap on Steam right now, due to its 25th anniversary.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16849 on: October 30, 2021, 12:19:35 pm »

Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries

i was oddly happy to see someone mentioning this game, mw5 is a pretty good game in spite of some of the hate it got. its got a fairly solid simple gameplay loop of take contract, get money, bling out your lance, repeat. the combat is visceral and satisfying as is the aesthetics; those mechs just feel solid.

ahem theres also.... mw4 mercs which was classic but the only way to find a copy is to find someone still circulating the tapes, so to speak. that one was just as good because it introduced my favorite activity; the solaris arena with full commentary by duncan fisher. honestly its the only reason i consider mw5 a inferior game, because they didn't keep this in.

if youre a fan of the setting, battletech, a turnbased mech strategy game, is set in the same galaxy but in a different time period. it has the same loop but also has a campaign thats fun. its also on sale from the steam halloween sale.

oh, and also, like mw5, battletech is highly moddable and has great mods if you get bored of the base game.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16850 on: October 30, 2021, 01:57:56 pm »

I picked up:
- World of Horror
- Inscryption
- A Christine Love VN
- Titan Souls
- Bayonetta
- Ikenfell
- Shadow tactics

for about ~$55 :3
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16851 on: October 30, 2021, 05:02:35 pm »

A lot of Resident evil games are under 5 dollars right now.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16852 on: October 30, 2021, 07:29:59 pm »

i was oddly happy to see someone mentioning this game, mw5 is a pretty good game in spite of some of the hate it got. its got a fairly solid simple gameplay loop of take contract, get money, bling out your lance, repeat. the combat is visceral and satisfying as is the aesthetics; those mechs just feel solid.

ahem theres also.... mw4 mercs which was classic but the only way to find a copy is to find someone still circulating the tapes, so to speak. that one was just as good because it introduced my favorite activity; the solaris arena with full commentary by duncan fisher. honestly its the only reason i consider mw5 a inferior game, because they didn't keep this in.

if youre a fan of the setting, battletech, a turnbased mech strategy game, is set in the same galaxy but in a different time period. it has the same loop but also has a campaign thats fun. its also on sale from the steam halloween sale.

oh, and also, like mw5, battletech is highly moddable and has great mods if you get bored of the base game.

MW5 and HBS Battletech are basically the same time period, maybe a decade or two apart but the same general era of succession wars.

You can mod BT to a much later time period though.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #16853 on: November 03, 2021, 10:55:14 am »

MW5 and HBS Battletech are basically the same time period, maybe a decade or two apart but the same general era of succession wars.

You can mod BT to a much later time period though.

Here are some screenshots of MW5:

Spoiler: Large Images (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The little one in front is my favorite player mech, the FL-15 Flea.

How does the co-op work? I just started a new campaign after I goofed around in the last one travelling too much. Can I set it so anyone can join or do I have to know people with the game and invite them?

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16854 on: November 03, 2021, 12:27:41 pm »

Wow, that first picture looks like MW2:Mercenaries, except with more modern graphics.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16855 on: November 03, 2021, 01:51:40 pm »

Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries was actually released for free some time ago. Unfortunately hosting of the free files has been spotty over time, but one can at least rest easy knowing it's not contraband.

MW5 is... fine. Don't get it full price, but it's probably worth it at ~half off. Just make sure to look into the modding scene, as last I played modders had to fix some core issues like combat AI.

TheMusician321

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16856 on: November 04, 2021, 12:01:09 am »

Generation Zero is currently 73% off on steam. It's practically free.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16857 on: November 04, 2021, 01:28:36 pm »

No, it's almost $7. That's about the right price if you plan on playing multiplayer. There's not a lot of game there.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #16858 on: November 06, 2021, 10:34:03 pm »

Wow, that first picture looks like MW2:Mercenaries, except with more modern graphics.

That's what it reminded me of too. I remember the first time I tried the campaign in that, I skipped all the special campaign missions. The filler missions in that campaign paid only 300k and didn't seem to allow mech salvage so I managed to scrape together enough C-Bills for a mighty 40 ton Cicada just in time for

On the bright side, there is a hidden contract in the MW2: Mercenaries campaign that you can only find if you take a filler mission on a certain month, so I knew about that.

Haha, remember the PPCs? They were big blue spiky balls that flew pretty slow, I saw an Awesome moonwalk out of the way of one once.

Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries was actually released for free some time ago. Unfortunately hosting of the free files has been spotty over time, but one can at least rest easy knowing it's not contraband.

MW5 is... fine. Don't get it full price, but it's probably worth it at ~half off. Just make sure to look into the modding scene, as last I played modders had to fix some core issues like combat AI.

I haven't modded it yet, but I agree that the AI isn't so great sometimes,
Spoiler: Image (click to show/hide)
(after you give an attack order your AI lancemates all revert to following you instead of going back to an assigned position)

It works best in a rabid ai swarm but it will send a lone Locust against 4 assault mechs because it doesn't coordinate it's units well and relies on overwhelming the player lance in a swarm, and it often has respawns of some sort.

The lance commands could have used an Attack Closest order for the lance so they go out and harvest turrets and mechs for resources automatically while Main Character hides in the corner of a hill  by the start and slowly destroys a city 2km away with an AC/2 to complete the demolition mission. Haha, infrastructure week!

Spoiler: Minor flaws (click to show/hide)

Overall I think it's a pretty solid game. I enjoy flattening bases. After I finish the Campaign and the 4th Succession War one, I'll probably be done, but I think I will leave it installed with a sandbox run as a piratey mercenary band like the story enemy in the campaign, for unnecessarily burning everything in flamethrower range.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 11:05:26 pm by Duuvian »

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16859 on: November 07, 2021, 05:46:11 am »

My pc lold when I opened those images.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.
Pages: 1 ... 1122 1123 [1124] 1125 1126 ... 1133