Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1124 1125 [1126] 1127 1128 ... 1133

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1386468 times)

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #16875 on: December 23, 2021, 10:14:12 am »

Oh, oh wow, Cozy Grove looks like Don't Starve, but sans crushing survival requirements. I've got a few friends/family that might enjoy this one...

Thanks for the callout, I've got a few digital stockings to stuff.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16876 on: December 23, 2021, 01:26:49 pm »

Other recs -- if anyone has Animal Crossing-adjacent urges, Cozy Grove is pretty good. I think Animal Crossing was a little cuter but this is as good as it gets on PC for now.

Cozy Grove is a mobile game at its core. Do dailies. You could grind for money but that comes easily as it is. You play for half an hour a day and put it down.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16877 on: December 23, 2021, 07:43:29 pm »

Sort of. Mobile games weren't a thing when I was a kid so what it reminds me of more than anything else is those old browser games where you get a limited number of actions per RL day. Or, like I mentioned, Animal Crossing. There's no paying of RL money besides the purchase of the base game.

I've played for about a month now and yes, it's a "casual" game that seems to be mostly played by women, but I do like to play those sometimes. The music is relaxing and I enjoy the decorating aspect and the fact that my character can't die or get dismembered. The Discord community is really sweet and fun to socialize with.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16878 on: December 24, 2021, 10:17:25 am »

Cozy Grove looks interesting!

I'd recommend Sands of Salzaar, as it's 40% off (not sure if it's the best sale yet). A weird fever-dream mix of Mount and Blade, some Kenshi and other things, but adds all sorts of magic and crazy skills that make some battles hilarious. You can really feel OP at certain points, either due to your army or your own OP character.

Other stuff I had fun with recently (or not so recently):

Software Inc. is only 25% off, but I've spent so much time in this game and always felt it was too low-priced anyway. It's been in "alpha" since forever, but I've never really felt it was an Alpha.
X4 Foundations is at 50% off with DLCs with some discounts. A new DLC will be out on Q1 or Q2 next year, which should (hopefully) make pirates more interesting and active. Sort of a chance to get in now and build up before the DLC hits, if you're into that sort of thing.
Astroneer is well-known at this point and is even better with friends.  50% off.
AIM 2 Clan Wars is nearly free. It's an old game that I go back to every couple of years. Very niche.

Weird enough, I'm more excited for updates/DLCs/mods of current games than new games themselves nowadays, and I don't have much patience for getting into new things..unless they perfectly hit my preferences. I think I'm getting old.  :P
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16879 on: December 24, 2021, 11:59:19 am »

Steam has Witcher 1 and 2 are on sale for less than $5.00 combined... are they worth it?  I've enjoyed Witcher 3 well enough.

EDIT: turns out it's irrelevant; won't run on my OS. (Catalina is kind of a mess...especially the decision to completely remove 32-bit app support.  If I wasn't so lazy maybe I'd figure out how to downgrade back to 10.14....)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2021, 01:01:50 pm by McTraveller »

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #16880 on: December 24, 2021, 12:40:54 pm »

Steam has Witcher 1 and 2 are on sale for less than $5.00 combined... are they worth it?  I've enjoyed Witcher 3 well enough.
Sure? Although in the end I played only through 3, barely, after two reinstalls. And 1 I probably spent most time on, trying to start it over and over, then getting bored before chapter 4, reaching it only once. It's charming, somehow.

Witcher 2 is cursed for me. On first try i went with Iorvet and halfway through chapter 2 realized that i just don't want to play this anymore. On second try i went with Roche, was off to a great start in chapter 2 and... my HDD went out cold. In both tries, though, i enjoyed chapter 1 a lot, and liked story and scenes in this game the most out of three. If nothing else, they had no time to get old like in Witcher 3. Combat (same as 3) and running around in quirky elvish town surely did.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2021, 01:17:27 pm by MCreeper »

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #16881 on: December 24, 2021, 12:58:37 pm »

That means "steam has witcher 2 for less than 5$"  , because GOG has witcher 1 perpetually free, if you are willing to download their launcher (which you can then uninstall after you have the game in your library) :P 

I don't have actual experience with the games, but word has it that both W1+W2 were rather junky and W3 was an enormous improvement on every aspect. With that said for such a price, how bad could they be?  Just don't expect the same level of quality as W3.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16882 on: December 24, 2021, 04:02:16 pm »

Epic has the first Pathfinder game free atm, considering the size and potential amount of time you could sink into it if you like CRPG's that's a pretty good deal right there. And it's a few years that the game has been out so most of the issues have been fixed by now.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16883 on: December 24, 2021, 04:33:08 pm »

I did not like Witcher 2. I've played quite a lot of 3 and found it OK. Witcher 1 is actually my favorite! I think the plot is more interesting. Sure, it's janky, but that's OK.

Just don't forget to put the VO in Polish :)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16884 on: December 24, 2021, 11:46:07 pm »

I haven't finished The Witcher 3, but I do agree I think Witcher 1 was my favorite. I enjoyed how much you had to prepare before fighting monsters.

The Witcher 2 was more action orientated than Witcher 1. I remember enjoying it but I honestly can't remember much of anything about it.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #16885 on: December 26, 2021, 12:55:24 pm »

I'm annoyed that Stellaris: Nemesis is only twenty percent, so $16.  I've waited a while, but nah, I'll wait longer.  Yes it's a good game that I've sank many nights in, but... IDK.  I'm glad they're still pushing free updates to it also.  But- it's just not enough of a discount, I'll live.
Let me save you some cash: Stellaris Nemesis is shit.
It has basically 3 things
-a covert ops system that is if anything slightly worse than the one in Master of Orion 2.

- the nemesis and galactic emperor thingies which I honestly think are mostly gimmicks, and not even very ellaborate ones.

- one new music track which is actually pretty good.

The whole thing is half baked, IMO. Its the weakest dlc so far, I feel. Any of the species packs has more content.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2021, 12:57:20 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #16886 on: December 26, 2021, 01:13:01 pm »

idk, declaring yourself emperor is actually pretty cool. There are rebels sometimes and you have a few unique galactic institutions/edicts you can enact.

Becoming the crisis is just a fancy way to declare war on everyone else in the galaxy and then 'win' by ruining the galaxy forever

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16887 on: December 26, 2021, 01:28:02 pm »

I liked the Galactic Custodian stuff since it lets other nations assist against end-game threats while retaining their autonomy.  It's mechanically similar to just painting the map with a federation but more interesting.  I got to experience it in multiplayer once.  I like you CAN turn that into a Galactic Imperium but I'm not particularly tempted.  I'll probably become the crisis exactly once just to try it, even though there are mechanics/gimmicks to it other than universal-CB.

As for the intrigue system, I never touched it in multiplayer (we played far too rapidly for such nuance) but I would like the option of splitting rival federations in order to peacefully grow my own.  The intel system seems pretty pointless outside of the first few decades.

Anyway, I finally picked up the Outer Worlds instead for a bit more and I'm definitely happy with my choice.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #16888 on: December 26, 2021, 09:37:30 pm »

I bought a pack if the 3 Witcher games quite a while ago on a large sale like this one. I still haven't managed to complete Witcher 1 though; one of the quests was a tough choice because I either missed some relevant information or it was vague intentionally.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I eventually made a decision and finished that quest last in the act except for some fetch quests, but afterwards I didn't make it to the next act as I stalled out on the last few tasks of the list. It is a very good game for it's age in my opinion. Why is the Polish voice over recommended?

I saw X4: Foundations mentioned above too. I would also recommend it.
Spoiler: Spaceman Spiff (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Huge Minefield (click to show/hide)

It looks like the Shadowrun Returns trilogy is on sale on Steam. The first is pretty good, the second and third (Dragonfall and Hong Kong) are both excellent. I especially like the music in the latter two. They aren't related storywise between the three except for references to events in the earlier titles and a few characters being present between the titles. They are set in fictional timeline Seattle, Anarchist Berlin, and obviously Hong Kong. The combat is turn based and sort of like the new Xcom series.

I didn't remember to screenshot the first game, Returns, but here are two from the others.
Spoiler: Dragonfall (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Hong Kong (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2021, 10:34:59 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16889 on: December 27, 2021, 12:09:06 am »

If anyone's looking to play an addictive roguelite shooter of slight vintage, then pick up Synthetic. It's currently super cheapo on sale, and it's all kinds of great.
Pages: 1 ... 1124 1125 [1126] 1127 1128 ... 1133