Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 424 425 [426] 427 428 ... 1133

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1386290 times)

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Sales
« Reply #6375 on: October 06, 2013, 12:26:23 am »

Looking at the store page for FF7, what's this thing about a 'character booster'? Is that basically just saying "if this game is too hard we'll just let you cheat"?

If so, that's fucking bullshit.
No one's forcing you to use it, y'know. And it's a fairly-linear single-player game with absolutely zero competitive aspects. Why do you care?
Because they're charging for it? Charging to let the player beat a game that is too difficult for them is a significant dick move.
Not really. This isn't like some hardcore platformer where it all comes down to twitch skill. This is a JRPG, and in JRPGs no problems are insurmountable if you're willing to grind. Some people don't have time to grind through a difficult boss or just want to get through the storyline (whatever it actually is). For those that do have the time, they are not required to pay for anything. No one is holding a metaphorical gun to your head by blocking off parts of the game to those who won't pay, nor is there any point in worrying about the folks who "pay to win" because how powerful their party is has precisely zero effect on your own game.

So, again, why do you care?

Fanboys said the same thing about Diablo 3. Nobody is forcing you to use the real-money auction house, why do you care?

Turns out the whole game was balanced around the auction house as expected, meaning low droprate and bad loot everywhere which is part of the reason the game was less loved then D2. It was so bad blizzard themselves have admitted it was a bad idea and are patching it out.

That's why I care. It's the same concept with selling cheats... once it's acceptable, the temptation to make it if not required, at least strongly encourage is there and publishers (if not developers themselves) will have a hard time resisting.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6376 on: October 06, 2013, 12:40:57 am »

While I think it's a very interesting and important topic I think the main points have been already made. I think if anyone wants to continue the discussion they should open a new thread. We should try and keep a topic about steam sales as accessible as possible for people who are actually looking for advice about purchases and discounts.

Not pointing any kind of blame at anyone (I derail threads as much as anyone else) but we should get this train back on the line.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6377 on: October 06, 2013, 10:57:06 am »

I'd recommend The Pit if you like roguelikes. 5$ seems about right. It's definitely a solid and enjoyable game. Remember to play on lower difficulties the first and maybe second time; it limits consoles to show only the first few messages which tell you how to make things like bone armor or what-not. If you don't know how to make that, you'll be running around naked in no time as armor takes damage from attacks. You can read the recipes on the internet probably, but if you choose not to the encyclopedia unlocks are available in later playthroughs.

EDIT: My bad, this is a reply to a post from a few days ago. I was searching the forums for the now on sale Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition to see if it included BG1 and BG 2 like I thought I read a year or two ago (it does not)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 11:03:18 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6378 on: October 06, 2013, 09:54:36 pm »

Civ 5: Gods and Kings is $7.50 USD. I've heard good things about it. Worth it?

Edit: WAIT. Gold edition upgrade is $5, and it includes GaK + lots of other misc DLC. Yes or no?

Never mind. I'm a complete idiot. I all ready own GaK, and need Brave New World, which is still $20. I'll just wait for the winter sale.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 10:04:50 pm by My Name is Immaterial »

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #6379 on: October 07, 2013, 12:28:21 am »

Civ 5: Gods and Kings is $7.50 USD. I've heard good things about it. Worth it?

Edit: WAIT. Gold edition upgrade is $5, and it includes GaK + lots of other misc DLC. Yes or no?

Never mind. I'm a complete idiot. I all ready own GaK, and need Brave New World, which is still $20. I'll just wait for the winter sale.

No worries, you're still less of an idiot than me. I've been finally buying legit Mafia II, which was on sale (not this one, back in July or so), and I've been under an impression that Digital Deluxe includes the DLC.

So I paid more for the base game and missed the sale on DLC (since I was away from home then and bought it via phone, so didn't realize until it was too late).
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6380 on: October 07, 2013, 06:37:21 pm »

You know what we need...
A DotA Clone with Facebook mechanics on the side...
Oh wait...
http://store.steampowered.com/app/235340/
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6381 on: October 07, 2013, 08:36:05 pm »

You know what we need...
A DotA Clone with Facebook mechanics on the side...
Oh wait...
http://store.steampowered.com/app/235340/
that game is free :P

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #6382 on: October 07, 2013, 08:57:47 pm »

I've also heard good things about it. "Good", as in it brings new stuff to the MOBA table that are (possibly) well-executed.

Didn't hear about the FB mechanics, though.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6383 on: October 08, 2013, 03:18:56 pm »

I've also heard good things about it. "Good", as in it brings new stuff to the MOBA table that are (possibly) well-executed.

Didn't hear about the FB mechanics, though.
When not playing Moba game you have a small "Kingdom" to build, which requires resources. Your Kingdom is a grid which is not only stupid in its design but also fiddly cause its not perfect and has cut offs due to diagonal walls. You place buildings which take up space on this grid...
To generate Resources, you open your resource type, Farm for Food, Lumbermill for Wood and Mine for Ore, choose one of 5 different amounts to generate with larger amounts taking longer to gen, 10 for 1hr,32 for 2hrs, etc etc. If you have friends you can slot them into your Resource collectors to make them generate faster...

Pure Facebook mechanics there...

Oh and don't forget about the cashshop items, speedups and upgrades...
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 03:20:41 pm by Neyvn »
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6385 on: October 08, 2013, 04:07:42 pm »

Also, you have to buy the other heros, the items are replaced by talents which are won via winning battles and doing quests FB style and countless other things that just turn me off. AI Bots are stupid in the 5v5 so don't really play them if interested, they have no actual intelegence, they just charge down their lanes over and over again, ignore any chance of moving to defend or anything...
I went up one lane to assist a melee that was fighting a control range, as in the enemy was a guy that kept disabling the melee ally to the point he was getting roflstomped. In doing so I wasn't able to defend the middle lane which just roflstomped to the base and won...

bluejello

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6386 on: October 08, 2013, 04:51:09 pm »

just going to drop this off

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NvqdwTvzYQ

review of game being discuses
There is also zuma in the game for some reason, that you can play during the matches.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #6387 on: October 08, 2013, 06:04:25 pm »

Holy crap. Just watch the first two minutes, and never touch that game. Ever.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6388 on: October 09, 2013, 01:02:59 am »

Oh god, Agarest is horrible.

Remember everyone complaining about how pervy it is? I think right now I'd only play it if there was actual sex in it. It's so freaking bad.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6389 on: October 09, 2013, 11:06:02 am »

Holy crap. Just watch the first two minutes, and never touch that game. Ever.

But then you'll miss the Zuma!

I agree with the reviewers that characters aiding characters of the opposite gender is fine.  Involving player gender though... and broadcasting it??  Just, just why.  Why.

Given the clear pay-to-win system, maybe you can pay for the ability to toggle player gender (or more likely, pay each time you toggle it).

I just love that it has mid-MOBA Zuma breaks.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 424 425 [426] 427 428 ... 1133