Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 431 432 [433] 434 435 ... 1133

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1383587 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Sales
« Reply #6480 on: October 17, 2013, 07:35:36 pm »

Ok, so the Batman Arkham X games are on sale. And strangely, Arkham City, which didn't show for me in the store, is available for me now. Also, Asylum no longer has any mention of the # of activations DRM it had when I bought it.

SOOO... anyone know if it has anything to do with the Live service being disbanded and stuff? Is it possible that both games DRM has been removed? That would be awesome.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6481 on: October 17, 2013, 10:30:47 pm »

GalCiv II is on sale- Ultimate Edition for 5 bucks.  Any reviews on that one, B12?  What other 4X games is it best comparable to?

All Stardock titles are 50-75% off this week.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6482 on: October 17, 2013, 10:44:53 pm »

GalCiv II is on sale- Ultimate Edition for 5 bucks.  Any reviews on that one, B12?  What other 4X games is it best comparable to?

All Stardock titles are 50-75% off this week.

GalCiv II lets you build ships! Oh and there was some 4x thing too I guess. Hard to recall.

**DISCLAIMER: I'm not a huge 4x fan, soooo take this with a shaker of salt**

The combat is rock/paper/scissors, the planetary production is really weird (you have sliders to allocated all planetary production between different factors, along with the associated facilities. This means a lot of micro on developing worlds), and some things are a bit too micro-intensive for me to hold interest long. Most of my matches ended up with whatever AI got the best random starting colony location to blob and consume everyone else. Those are the bad things.

The good things are: There are plenty of viable strategies that aren't directly combat-centric, like arms brokering and cultural pressure. The races felt pretty varied to me, and the custom race option was fun to mess around with. The AI is apparently pretty smart, and will scheme and plot against itself; it doesn't treat the player any differently than any other AI. It can and will enact long-term political and economic scheming.

I paid about that much for the game just for the ship builder, but that seems to be a love-it-or-hate-it, with more love than hate here, that I've noticed.

EDIT: Oh and planetary invasions are garbage. worst system ever.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 10:46:46 pm by Darkmere »
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6483 on: October 17, 2013, 11:08:15 pm »

The Stanley Parable...

Just go get it............
I got the Broom Closet Ending....
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6484 on: October 18, 2013, 02:18:07 am »

The Stanley Parable...

I was looking at that one. If it drops below $10, I'll snag it.

Also, Demigod is down to $2.99 this weekend from the Stardock sale. A 4-pack goes for $4.99, which is a steal.
Yes, it was buggy at release (they fixed that).
Yes, the netcode is sluggish (it uses a P2P model rather than a central server, so plays much better on a LAN than over the Internet).
Yes, they didn't release any follow-on content for it (mostly because LoL came in and devoured the budding MOBA playerbase).

But there's some really beautiful things in this game (like being able to spend gold upgrading mobs and towers, or the fact that teamwork is actually important), and it's well worth $3 just to play with bots and wonder what might have been under a different distribution model. If you have a few buddies on a local LAN, go for the 4-pack.

NOTE: Does require a Stardock account (free to register).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #6485 on: October 18, 2013, 05:18:06 am »

The Stanley Parable...

It's most likely still worth it at its current price. This video is also not a spoiler.

Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #6486 on: October 18, 2013, 06:06:32 am »

It's good. Lots of different stuff in it. The build-your-own-ship editor is a combination of Master of Orion and Spore (looks are cosmetic and unlimited but the defenses/offenses/utilities are what makes the ship. Positioning of those items is not relevant, though), so you can design small, fast rocket-launching ships or slow armored pellet-throwers with a high beam defense. It's not really Rock->Paper->Scissor, but there are three kinds of damage, each with their own defense-type. So when fighting an opponent you build your ships with weapons they have researched little defense for, and equip them with defense for the weapon-type they have the most research in.

What I like most about it are the moral choices. Evil choices benefit you the most, game wise, and good options benefit you the least, or actually punish you. Diplomacy with other races is done pretty well, and starbase-building, planet developing and exploration are all fun parts of it too. Might be a bit micro-heavy, but I've seen a lot worse. It's not worse than, say, Civilization, and you can always allow the AI to take that over. Possible ways of winning are Military, Diplomacy, Science, and even a Cultural Victory. I'd rate it an 8.7 out of 10.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6487 on: October 18, 2013, 06:14:59 am »

Just to offer another opinion, I hated GalCiv II. It was tedious and boring and by-and-large the 'ship construction' was cosmetic rather than functional. I much prefer a game like Distant Worlds over GalCiv2. Hell I preferred Galciv 1 over 2.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6488 on: October 18, 2013, 08:21:26 am »

Hmmm.  I'll mull it over- thanks for the opinions.

(I'll also note GalCiv I is on sale as well for 3 bucks or so.)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6489 on: October 18, 2013, 08:25:56 am »

The Stanley Parable...

It's most likely still worth it at its current price. This video is also not a spoiler.
Here is a good intro play to the game itself. At least 10mins of "GO BUY IT" moments and the rest is a walkthrough to get one of the Achievements (kinda easy one to get but funny as hell in the method) and at least 1minute of actual gameplay itself. A great Teaser for the buyers and informant to those interested...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZVOXj8YiGE
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6492 on: October 18, 2013, 10:57:31 am »

Okay, to follow up on Ring Runner.

My initial impression is pretty positive. Yes, arcade-y, but surprisingly decent, at least in the first bit (haven't gotten further, yet.). I've been liking what I've seen so far.

Biggest downside so far is it's somewhat painfully obvious it was intended as an xbox game. The port (I guess?) isn't exactly bad, but it's definitely not exactly meant to be played on a computer. Mouse/keyboard is still quite responsive, though, and outside some UI hiccups (it keeps hold of the mouse even if you're alt-tabbed, ferex) it's fairly bearable.

For those on the edge, I'd probably recommend throwing a 3-5 at it before the offer ends.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

BullDog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6493 on: October 19, 2013, 12:15:51 am »

Ok, so the Batman Arkham X games are on sale. And strangely, Arkham City, which didn't show for me in the store, is available for me now. Also, Asylum no longer has any mention of the # of activations DRM it had when I bought it.

SOOO... anyone know if it has anything to do with the Live service being disbanded and stuff? Is it possible that both games DRM has been removed? That would be awesome.
Yep, both games are GFWL free now.

Also, Endless Space is on sale. Is it any good?

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6494 on: October 19, 2013, 12:25:40 am »

Yep, both games are GFWL free now.

Also, Endless Space is on sale. Is it any good?

From what I've read the combat is a series of rock/paper/scissors  type dealy using cards to determine your fleets manoeuvring during combats three phases (long range, mid range and short range). So at long range if you think your opponent might use missiles you use a manoeuvre that would counter missiles. (I think, not terribly sure on specifics).

That's not saying whether it's good or not I know (since I haven't played it personally), rather just to say that combat is not real time.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.
Pages: 1 ... 431 432 [433] 434 435 ... 1133