Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 674 675 [676] 677 678 ... 1133

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1386717 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #10125 on: December 09, 2014, 05:09:25 pm »

Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10126 on: December 09, 2014, 05:21:47 pm »

Origin.
eeeeeh
Not worth it.

Buy a physical copy for 5 bucks shipped on amazon.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10127 on: December 09, 2014, 05:30:37 pm »

Origin.
eeeeeh
Not worth it.

Don't you still need origin? (Does not know.)
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10128 on: December 09, 2014, 05:38:35 pm »

For SimCity2000? No. The original installer should have fuck all to do with Origin unless it was remade in the last two years. It has no requirement to dial out or check the product key even.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10129 on: December 09, 2014, 05:43:13 pm »

For SimCity2000? No. The original installer should have fuck all to do with Origin unless it was remade in the last two years. It has no requirement to dial out or check the product key even.

Zero bloat and a hundred year physical copy. Get bent, EA.

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10130 on: December 09, 2014, 06:20:19 pm »

Or a digital copy of Simcity 2000 from GOG for 3 bucks, till the 15th.
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10131 on: December 09, 2014, 07:23:26 pm »

You also don't have to have Origin running to run it. Once you've downloaded it (which only took a couple seconds for me), you never have to run Origin again. Personally, I've gotten Sims II, Wing Commander III, and now this - although I already had multiple copies of SimCity 2000 floating around my hard drives, in backup folders, etc, having one registered to an account somewhere seems like a good idea. (I didn't like the demo of either SC3000 or SC4, and didn't even try the newest one)

The version on Origin comes already set up with DOSBox and such, but that's also how GoG rolls, so if you want to throw money at GoG, go right ahead. Just bear in mind that EA owns the rights to the game, so undoubtedly GoG is going to give some of that money to EA when you do so.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10132 on: December 09, 2014, 08:27:27 pm »

(I didn't like the demo of either SC3000 or SC4, and didn't even try the newest one)

Both superior to 2000 and the new revamp.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #10133 on: December 10, 2014, 09:17:20 pm »

Psychonaughts is 80% off ($2 USD) on steam for the next ~40 hours as part of the double fine catalog day.

If you somehow don't own it yet, it's a somewhat strange but very excellent game and absolutely worth $2.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10134 on: December 10, 2014, 09:30:51 pm »

Psychonaughts is 80% off ($2 USD) on steam for the next ~40 hours as part of the double fine catalog day.

If you somehow don't own it yet, it's a somewhat strange but very excellent game and absolutely worth $2.

The Cave is crap. Psychonauts is great.

Cowboy Colt

• Bay Watcher
  • You're gonna carry that weight.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10135 on: December 11, 2014, 03:59:42 am »

The Cave is crap. Psychonauts is great.
I quite enjoyed the time I spent with The Cave, which admittedly, wasn't too long. But still, it's got a lot of charm and clever puzzles.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #10136 on: December 11, 2014, 07:43:19 pm »

Steam has some sort of auction thing going. You can "recycle" your cards and other inventory stuff into gems and then use the gems to "bid" on a list of games.

I guess they finally got tired of having 8937894594 cards on the marketplace going for 5 cents or less each and are trying to clear them out, but at least so far it seems like kind of a bad deal - you get something like 5 - 20 gems per card you recycle, and everything has bids of thousands of gems on them. You'd spend as much, or more money buying cards to recycle then you would just buying the game directly.

I'm also not sure what happens to gems after the sale is over... I assume they are deleted or rendered useless, so converting your cards instead of selling them for steam wallet (especially since this will probably increase the sale price on cards) seems like a bad idea.

Edit: If we assume an average price on a card of 5 cents, and 10 gems as the average recycle value, every single item I've checked so far would cost more to bid on then to just directly buy... and some things even cost over twice as much to bid on then to buy.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 07:47:53 pm by BurnedToast »
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #10137 on: December 11, 2014, 08:18:11 pm »

Just had a look through my inventory and there doesn't appear to be any obvious link between the value of the item and the number of gems it gives. Cards valued at £0.06 range between 3 to 24 gems at a quick look.

If you are after gems buying £0.03 backgrounds and emoticons are by far the cheapest way of acquiring them.

It also appears that gems will be usable in creating booster packs, so converting unwanted backgrounds/emoticons into cards seems to be possible. However that functionality is currently not activated so no telling how many gems per booster are required.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10138 on: December 11, 2014, 08:21:08 pm »

Feels like busy work to me. Some bids are already in the 25k range. At least there's maybe something else I can do with all the crap building up in my inventory I don't care about.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10139 on: December 11, 2014, 08:25:52 pm »

Remember that Valve hired an economist exactly for reasons like this. They need to control their created economies. They're just making it look fancier than a company buying back their own shares.
Pages: 1 ... 674 675 [676] 677 678 ... 1133