Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1057 1058 [1059] 1060

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 855276 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • Make birds howl again
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #15870 on: February 04, 2019, 05:53:52 pm »

Went and got myself Immortal Redneck, Strafe, and Amid Evil.

Of these three I decided to try Immortal Redneck first and holy crap it's amazing.
Teneb's Miscmods, for more stuff in your fort.
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Does a Laconian believe they descend from Achilles? Does an anon believe a greentext happened? Does a child believe in air? We choose the fake news we want. The eternal memri.tv

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just another guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15871 on: February 04, 2019, 07:43:24 pm »

Picked up Call of Juarez. The gunslinging is... honestly quite good, though my stealth skills mean my experience as Billy Candle so far consists of him basically murdering a whole bunch of people while he himself runs from someone who thinks he's a murderer (and this murderer pursuer himself has murdered a whole bunch of people, but they knew that he was there before they died so I guess it's fair play?).

I also love the fact you can use physics objects to hurt people. You don't even have to kick or throw them - all you do is stand in front of your target holding the object in question, before swinging your mouse in a manner that causes the object to collide with the target. Repeat until ded.

Also picked up episodes 1 and 2 of Half-Life in addition to Half-life 1 and all its variations (Source, Blue Shift, and Opposing Force). So now I can try out that Half-Payne mod that people brought up a while back.

Finally, I got Sid Mier's Pirates. I've heard good things about that game. Haven't yet tried it, though.

Also, some of the older Hitman games, The good Star Wars Battlefront 2 (You know, the one from 2006?), Fallout 3, Dishonored, Dust: An Elysian Tail, some of the Metro games, some of the Dead Rising games, some of the Disgaea games, Prison Architect, Death Road to Canada, Into The Breach, XCOM 2...

Ok, as it is with these kinds of sales, it's too much to make a full list, but there's plenty of games on sale, and maybe some of them aren't too terrible? The general populace seemed to like some of them, at least...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15872 on: February 04, 2019, 07:57:55 pm »

Pirates! is a fun game that kind of goes all over the damn place. It's a sandboxy environment and progression scheme that seems to be under the impression that it's an arcade game, high scores and all.

Beware the war canoes, they are made from long planks of fast.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [POSSESSED] [GUE'VESA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15873 on: February 04, 2019, 08:17:37 pm »

The secret of Pirates! is to have a fast flagship and basically don't get hit.  Trading hits is slow and expensive.

You want to board the enemy ship, naturally, but once you've practiced the swordfighting a bit you usually don't need to soften them up much.  Your crew gives you moral support, and you have to win before they're all disabled, but the focus is on your duel.

It's a really fun game!  I wish the ground battles went a bit faster, but the tactics are surprisingly engaging.  Never let cavalry attack you, *always* strike them first and preferably from a prepared trap.  Buccaneers are vital for weakening the enemy, then melee those enemies to destroy them.  Your officer squad is brutal, but don't expose them to enemy fire.

Oh yeah and the HL series is a good grab, as is Star Wars Battlefront 2 (2006) (I still can't believe their naming system, I'm far more upset about that than the microtransactions).

how can one person be so incorrect
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.
Guardians, Leslie Fish

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15874 on: February 04, 2019, 08:54:05 pm »

The secret of Pirates! is to have a fast flagship and basically don't get hit.  Trading hits is slow and expensive.

I remember playing the NES version on an emulator, and my basic strategy was sail circles around enemy galleons in a sloop or barque and pincushion them to death, or if the wind wasn't in my favor, board. Bigger ships were either sold, or used to haul loot.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15875 on: February 05, 2019, 08:38:22 am »

I remember playing the NES version on an emulator, and my basic strategy was sail circles around enemy galleons in a sloop or barque and pincushion them to death, or if the wind wasn't in my favor, board. Bigger ships were either sold, or used to haul loot.
The PC version has a bit of upgrades compared to the consoles. Cannon fire is per 2 cannons and not just a lump, so bigger ships have a wider firing pattern and more chances to hit. Ideally you want a ship of the line, which is the biggest and oddly pretty much fastest ship. The pinnances hold almost no cargo and less crew.

Boarding is a bit, odd. Crew is your hit points, but mostly you are trying to knock the captain back a set number of spaces. You can manage perfectly well by yourself, so long as you never get hit.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15876 on: February 05, 2019, 08:44:17 am »

Dueling does get pretty ridiculous if your crew is heavily outnumbered, though.

And while the biggest square-riggers do indeed have the best downwind speed, they're fucked trying to go anywhere when the wind isn't favoring them... War canoes, on the other hand, can maintain breakneck speeds in pretty much any direction.

They only have a crew capacity of, what, 16 or so? Still great fun to just have a whole party of the things whizzing around.

EDIT: Looked a bit more closely at the piggy Steam store background, and saw a vendor stand that was advertising something that definitely did not look Chinese. Did a quick Google based on what I thought it said, and that led me straight to a Vietnamese food vid on YouTube.

So now I am salivating over more Vietnamese food, and sad that I cannot have any. Weh. Also not sure why there's a Vietnamese stand in a Chinese backdrop, but whatever.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 11:08:46 am by Kagus »

Sime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15877 on: February 11, 2019, 01:30:32 pm »

I bought War in the West in the last Xmas Sale, and I've  just bought War in the East in the Lunar Sale.   And I bet I won't play either of them until the next Xmas sale.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15878 on: February 11, 2019, 01:38:41 pm »

Where're your north-south wars?? I feel like you are missing integral parts of the gameplay here.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15879 on: February 11, 2019, 01:51:35 pm »

Tabletop Simulator is discounted during this sale also, I think I'm going to get it (even cheaper if you can get the 4-pack).

If anyone else has it, let me know if you want to practice throwing chess pieces at each other heads and flipping the table for no apparent reason.

Sime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15880 on: February 11, 2019, 03:17:22 pm »

Where're your north-south wars?? I feel like you are missing integral parts of the gameplay here.

Good point.    Does anyone know of a decent American civil war strategy game that I should buy without playing?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15881 on: February 11, 2019, 03:20:47 pm »

Well there's War of Rights, but it's kinda incomplete without War of Lefts... Which hasn't been developed yet.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just another guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15882 on: February 11, 2019, 03:28:29 pm »

There’s also the expansion pack, “War of Wrongs”.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15883 on: February 11, 2019, 03:51:39 pm »

Tabletop Simulator is discounted during this sale also, I think I'm going to get it (even cheaper if you can get the 4-pack).

If anyone else has it, let me know if you want to practice throwing chess pieces at each other heads and flipping the table for no apparent reason.

It would be better if there was a version that was intended for playing games as opposed to being a physics engine. I mean, it works, but you can tell the UI for things that isn't "throwing stuff" or "flipping the table" was tacked on at the last minute.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15884 on: February 14, 2019, 10:26:18 am »

Just a heads up for anyone who actually installed the Epic launcher to get the free stuff: in about 1 week, Thimbleweed Park is gonna be free there.
Pages: 1 ... 1057 1058 [1059] 1060