Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1052 1053 [1054] 1055 1056 ... 1133

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1383707 times)

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #15795 on: April 05, 2019, 08:36:56 pm »

You're right - it's just the kind of thing I've seen from Reddit and the like (which probably should have been the red flag for me to not post it here to begin with). Sorry about that.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15796 on: April 08, 2019, 04:26:26 am »

I'm hearing a lot of vague rumors and reddit conspiracy theorists in the case against Epic Games here. Meanwhile, the massive Fortnite audience all use this launcher every time they play, and pretty much every major gaming news agency is scrutinizing their activity religiously. If there was some major security flaw or privacy issue, I'm pretty sure it would have made the headlines by now, and yet I've heard nothing.

Personally, I've had the Epic Games launcher running continuously for well over a year now. I monitor it in Task Manager regularly and have never noticed outstanding processor usage. Network use spiked occasionally when I first started using it and it decided to update games in the background, but a quick look at the settings allowed me to disable this and I've had no Network use issues since. I enjoy the free games, and I've enjoyed playing several exclusives. Epic Games does lack a few features that Steam has, but I can find reviews and forums elsewhere, so it's not that big of a deal. Overall I'm generally satisfied with my experience using this launcher.

The link that I posted on the page before (whilst a bit ranty) goes into exactly what it does - it lifts all your steam information, stuff from your browser, monitors other active processes and sends it all back. It also looks in a few other places it shouldn't really need to look in the registry.

I'm not saying that it's some awful tencent conspiracy to steal all our data for the Chinese government, but it's definitely doing those things and it doesn't really have a good reason behind it. Epic even admitted it was doing it all (https://www.pcgamer.com/epic-steam-data-reddit/) but in my opinion the responses were pretty much 'just trust us we use it for nice things :) '. Once they have it, they can do whatever they want with it and it's just their word that it's being used fairly (see Facebook for a prime example of that)
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #15797 on: April 16, 2019, 02:30:57 pm »

GOG has a sale on “games made in Russia/Ukraine/Belarus”. It has some unknown (to me) titles but it also has the metro ( but not the newest one) and the stalker series.

I can recommend all* of the stalker games for their incredible atmosphere and its mix of fps + light survival/scavenging gameplay especially at the price of ~5€/game. On the plus side the stalker games have a very active modding scene (both English and Russian).

*I have been playing stalker games in one form or another for years. Clear sky is often regarded as the most unstable of the three due to some bugs but it’s still a decent game. Call of Pripyat is the most well made one and Shadow of Chernobyl the most story-heavy one.

edit: Extra suggestion about an old and somewhat obscure game.

The original Sea Dogs. While it has a lot of flaws ( land controls, buggy quests, bad graphics) is probably the most enjoyable naval/pirates game I have played (along with sid meier's pirates). I mentioned specificaly the controls because the land controls are truly horrible BUT the in battle ship controls are good.

The gameplay revovles around fighting other ships at sea, trading between towns, gathering a crew (officers) and doing quests. The focus is on ship vs ship combat usualy with 1-3 ships/side but larger threeway battles with 4-5 ships/side are also possible, you can also siege/capture towns. Weather has a major* effect on combat and taking advantage of the wind is key.  It also has some rpg elements with your character gaining ranks and skill that along with your officers' skills affect your ship's performance (the skills are always passive bonuses so it doesn't have any bullshit "power" cannon shot). Dueling is similar in concept with sid meier's pirates but it's less flashy and iirc less forgiving.

*Ship battles when in a storm were fantastic, ships were moving a lot faster due to the stronger winds and the waves would cause the ships to move up and down sometimes ruining your salvo and sometimes shielding you from the enemy's.

I could recommend it if you are looking for a "sandbox" to indulge your inner pirate. In contrast I can't recommend any of its two sequels, while a lot more modern and arguably technically better made they weren't as enjoyable *to me*, they still had their fair share of bugs and their gameplay felt boring.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 03:43:31 pm by Ulfarr »
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15798 on: April 16, 2019, 02:45:52 pm »

Among the recent games there I really liked This is the Police 1 & 2.

"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #15799 on: April 16, 2019, 11:25:40 pm »

I highly recommend Men of War Assault Squad to any RTS fans out there. If you pick it up let me know and we'll do some multiplayer!

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15800 on: April 18, 2019, 10:28:42 am »

Speaking of RTS, Perimeter is also on sale, excellent execution of a unique idea that's rarely seen (tbh, now that I think about it, I don't recall another game that involves terrain manipulation as a core gameplay mechanic) and it's aged fairly well and still looks pretty good even if the resolution isn't widescreen compatible.

Also American Conquest, old-school cossacks gameplay that looks beautiful even today and costs less than 2 bucks.

Also also, the Kings Bounty series is pretty damn fun if you're in for turn based combat similar to HOMM but with a bit more of a roleplaying and exploration focus.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15801 on: April 18, 2019, 11:28:55 am »

So, uh, because of the Notre Dame fire, Ubisoft is giving away Assassin's Creed Unity. (and donating a bunch of money too I guess)

https://register.ubisoft.com/acu-notredame-giveaway/en-US

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #15802 on: April 18, 2019, 01:03:56 pm »

Transistor is free on the Epic Games Store now through May 2nd.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15803 on: April 18, 2019, 02:07:27 pm »

[Sea Dogs discussion]

Do you, by chance, have any experience with the later entries? I see those are on sale too, for a buck-fifty each.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15804 on: April 18, 2019, 02:42:37 pm »

Also also, the Kings Bounty series is pretty damn fun if you're in for turn based combat similar to HOMM but with a bit more of a roleplaying and exploration focus.

The first 2 King's Bounty Games are very good. The third (the Viking one) was fairly buggy. The bad-guy one was buggy and unfinished. I liked that they didn't have the HOMM thing of "every week, the number of enemies increases to be larger than whatever army you've managed, and you can't get more until you beat this wall of 4 billion dragons that started near you." There are tough fights, but they stay the same difficulty. Outside of a few resurrection-like abilities and spells, the maximum number of units of a certain type (and their locations) are generated at the start of the game.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #15805 on: April 18, 2019, 03:42:20 pm »

I do have some. Quick disclaimer: It's been close to 10 (or more) years since I played them and because they are both very similar and I did play them back to back, I can't treally describe each one separately.

Long story short, they are not bad they aren't great either but I enjoyed the original more. At a time they were among the only decent choices for the genre iirc, and I wouldn't mind paying the price they go for today, I believe you'll get your money's worth out of them if that's what you are asking. The second sequel "City of Abandoned ships" was a better game on the technical level as it fixed some of the issues that the "Caribbean tales" had.

If you would like to search more about them, know that they originally went with the name Age of Pirates: Caribbean Tales and Age of Pirates: City of Abandoned ships instead of Sea dogs: "X". There might still be a couple of walkthroughs with bug workarounds on the net.

Spoiler: wall of text (click to show/hide)

Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15806 on: April 18, 2019, 05:41:19 pm »

Transistor is free on the Epic Games Store now through May 2nd.

They really have been stepping up their games distribution recently. First The Witness and now Transistor. It makes me afraid that Epic's scummy exclusivity practices might actually become standard one day.

As for Transistor itself, I'd heartily recommend it. Great soundtrack, great core gameplay, and great narrative moments even if the story itself falls apart near the end. The boss fight with Sybil will always be a fond gaming memory of mine.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15807 on: April 18, 2019, 05:43:25 pm »

Yeah, Transistor is great. Red's a hell of a dame.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #15808 on: April 18, 2019, 10:43:04 pm »

Well, Epic did it. They suckered me. I'm downloading it now.

I just hope all the ruckus about spyware is just that - ruckus.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #15809 on: April 18, 2019, 10:44:58 pm »

I don't think it is spyware for the Chinese. They did do some really scummy shit with looking at Steam's files that contain personal details like password, though, and gave a filmsy justification for it.

Also the store is just barely one (no damn shopping cart!) and yet they keep with the fucking exclusives, which is my reason for really disliking them.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 ... 1052 1053 [1054] 1055 1056 ... 1133