Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1057 1058 [1059] 1060 1061 ... 1132

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 1370047 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #15870 on: May 05, 2019, 02:52:01 pm »

I never liked KotOR because I find the combat tedious and difficult to control. The d20 system is also extremely played out to me at this point, and I don't think it's ever been a good fit for video games.
Dont play Pathfinder Kingmaker then. If you think Kotor's reliance on D20 rolls is bad..
Yeah I know to watch out for CRPGs. Does Wizardry count? I do like Wizardry and those first person party crawls like Etrian Odyssey and Grimrock (and their relatives like Stonekeep and some of the Ultima games), but the (isometric) d20 real-time-with-pause party experience? Uh huh, not for me
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 02:54:27 pm by Parsely »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #15871 on: May 05, 2019, 07:40:12 pm »

What? Pathfinder: Kingmaker is like the game to implement d20 the most well since Temple of Elemental Evil
Love, scriver~

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #15872 on: May 05, 2019, 08:23:23 pm »

I found KotOR to be just in the right place as far as control and combat goes. Most of the time, I could take care of what I was doing and not have to worry about my allies all that much.

Baldur's Gate though. Oof. OOOOOOF.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #15873 on: May 06, 2019, 08:06:37 am »

Now I'm even more confused. Baldur's Gate has like the simplest, easiest combat ever. Click and watch 'em go. Throw a spell every now and again. Some might find it boring but I've always found "laid back" to be a more fitting term. The kind of game you can play to relax.
Love, scriver~

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #15874 on: May 06, 2019, 08:26:05 am »

Agreed, Baldur's Gate was simple to the point of boredom sometimes. There were barely any tactical considerations, just run into them and hack away or stand back and fire away for most combats. Some spells made it a little messier but not much.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #15875 on: May 06, 2019, 06:46:22 pm »

What? Pathfinder: Kingmaker is like the game to implement d20 the most well since Temple of Elemental Evil
I don't like certain things inherent to the DnD style d20 system, like armor class and initiative.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #15876 on: May 06, 2019, 08:38:04 pm »

Maybe it's Baldur's Gate 2 then that gets me, cause most of the fights have been complicated affairs as soon as spell casters join the fray.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #15877 on: May 06, 2019, 09:37:11 pm »

Yeah, I suppose if you absolutely can't stand the d20 system, KOTOR and such games may not be right for you.

Personally, KOTOR I & II are some of my favorite games, if not favorite. I like how the pacing of the first one kind of feels like you're in an episodic series, which I think is partially accomplished by the fact that there's no encumbrance or item limit, so you don't have to backtrack to do inventory management; you just keep moving from one place to another, progressing the story. And the second, while feeling a bit more rushed (it feels like you level up faster in II), lets you respond to questions in such a way that you can really reflect on the motivations and inner thoughts of your character (I don't think a lot of them really change the outcome of what happens so much, but I prefer a game that asks how my character feels and why I did something rather than one where I make arbitrary decisions that will eventually have a large impact on my playthrough *throws shade at Mass Effect*).

Then, on a more I suppose technical level, I like how the games let you control multiple characters in real time, but in a close 3rd person perspective so you feel more connected to them, as opposed to something like Baldur's Gate, where you're so zoomed out that the characters almost feel more like units in an RTS game. Also, II does some cool things like let you get gain some new abilities outside of normal advancement, from things you do in the game (which I've seen done in other games, but this was my first time encountering it in an RPG), and splitting up your group so that you end up sometimes playing with a team of characters that doesn't include the main character (something I really haven't seen or heard of in other RPGs).

Bottom line, I think the KOTOR series are good games, and if you can recommend better games, especially ones that do what they do, I'd like to hear about them, because I've already finished playing through them and would like to know about more good games. But if you haven't played them, they're cheap, and fun, and maybe don't have the best graphics, but you're on the Dwarf Fortress forum here, so I don't know why you'd be complaining about graphics.

Slightly ninja'd Pre-edit:
Maybe it's Baldur's Gate 2 then that gets me, cause most of the fights have been complicated affairs as soon as spell casters join the fray.
I think the thing about Baldur's Gate is, since it's based on AD&D, the characters have very few hit points, and unlike in KOTOR, they won't pop back up after the fight is over if they go down; you have to resurrect or reload. Also, healing outside of combat in Baldur's Gate can be resource intensive or at least risky if you make camp to heal. And the fact that spells are only regained on a per day basis and you only have so many of each prepared means you have to make sure whatever you use goes off properly.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15878 on: May 07, 2019, 03:28:32 pm »

Divinity Original Sin 2 Definitive Edition is on sale on steam for 40% off. Its 27 USD for base game

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15879 on: May 08, 2019, 07:46:43 am »

Divinity Original Sin 2 Definitive Edition is on sale on steam for 40% off. Its 27 USD for base game

It's different (mostly better) than the first. Crafting is more on the low level (you're a prisoner, but you can make a shiv) than the higher end (you're an adventurer and also the best and fastest blacksmith ever, let's make magic weapons for profit). You also move from area to area earlier.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15880 on: May 11, 2019, 02:50:22 am »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15881 on: May 12, 2019, 06:38:00 pm »

Gog has a sale on adventure games until tomorrow. Mostly Sierra stuff (King's Quest, Space Quest, Hero Quest for Glory), but those were good.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15882 on: May 16, 2019, 10:26:04 am »

Epic games store (I know booo!) is having there first big store sale right now.  https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/ 

Satisfactory and Hades is a bit tempting, but I think I'm going to skip it for now.

Also Shovel Knight is 50% on GOG right now to celebrate the last free-dlc that is coming out soon, and its apparently going to get a price increase after so it might be the last chance to get it this cheap.  https://www.gog.com/game/shovel_knight
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #15883 on: May 16, 2019, 02:32:04 pm »

Epic Games Store is giving away Stories Untold.
Stories Untold is a narrative driven point-and-click adventure.

Also, regarding the current sale, in addition to regular discounts they are also offering a flat $10 off any games >$14.99. This includes pre-orders, so if you were thinking about getting Borderlands 3 at launch while it is timed-exclusive with Epic, this might be a good time to pre-order.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15884 on: May 16, 2019, 03:08:19 pm »

Humble Bundle is giving away Guacamelee until the 19th.

Viva!
Pages: 1 ... 1057 1058 [1059] 1060 1061 ... 1132