Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1081 1082 [1083] 1084 1085 ... 1103

Author Topic: SALES Thread  (Read 939805 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: SALES Thread
« Reply #16230 on: July 11, 2019, 07:48:02 pm »

Meh, it's alright. Starts out fun but gets super repetitive fast.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16231 on: July 11, 2019, 10:32:24 pm »

Thanks. Hmm, might just stick with Rimworld and its endless mod-world.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16232 on: July 12, 2019, 04:59:34 am »

Yeah I tried Judgement during the summer sale. It looks neat but gets boring very quickly. Nowhere as engaging as Rimworld

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • Not having personal text in currentyear
    • View Profile
    • Realtalk for a second
« Reply #16233 on: July 13, 2019, 01:53:10 pm »

Earth Defense Force 5 launched, and is currently 20% off on Steam. EDF! EDF! EDF!

Cake
Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16234 on: July 13, 2019, 02:08:29 pm »

Earth Defense Force 5 launched, and is currently 20% off on Steam. EDF! EDF! EDF!
and if you have humble monthly you will get it down to 36% off.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16235 on: July 17, 2019, 09:01:37 am »

Steam told me it needed to restart. I generally flip through the highlights doohickey when it pops up after a restart. In my state of lowered inhibitions, I saw that there was a Sword Art Online sale and purchased Fatal Bullet Complete Edition. The base game is 70% off, DLC are 50% each, the bundle seems to have an additional discount as well. The DLC appear to be additional story things, not the standard fare I generally see on JRPGs.

Then I saw Tokyo Xanadu eX+ in the recommendations at 80% off so I snagged it as well. The DLC are not discounted and are your standard JRPG stuff/outfit/item packs so no big loss there.

I have never finished a JRPG on PC. I can dump hours and hours into Minecraft or Starbound but 40+ hours of story is a bit of a harder sell despite me enjoying the gameplay.

Links again, because it's not storytime:
Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet -70%; $11.99
Tokyo Xanadu eX+ -80%; $12.00
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 09:04:10 am by Mephisto »

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Exists. Maybe.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16236 on: July 17, 2019, 09:05:23 am »

This is why I donít buy new games until Iíve finished the on- oh hey Iíve wanted that for years and itís on sale, yes please.
This hurts.
My Sigtext
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.

Faith in yourself is essential. Faith in Humanity isnít.

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16237 on: July 17, 2019, 02:21:00 pm »

GMG runs a sale now. It can be really good if you find gold/silver tiered games you want, as it allows you to pick some other games for free.

But to get the most of it you have to do separate purchases. It's an optimization problem (i.e. what order to buy). Was tempted by Tropico, Man the Guns, but still too small discounts. Ended up with buying Project Cars 2 Deluxe (mostly for VR use) on its discount + a previous 10% extra, that unlocked Star Trek Bridge Crew + Raw Data and some other games. Then I applied the 15% from there on a silver tier game to unlock ADR1FT. Then 10% off a DLC that got me Corporate Lifestyle Simulator. Almost like a humble bundle, but you get the possibility to select to a degree. This one is especially good for VR titles.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 02:22:58 pm by Radsoc »
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

marples

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16238 on: July 30, 2019, 03:57:51 pm »

Humble has Crusader Kings 2 plus all of the expansions. It's a huge saving if starting from scratch, or even if you just need a couple of the more expensive expansions.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16239 on: July 30, 2019, 06:18:56 pm »

Humble has Crusader Kings 2 plus all of the expansions. It's a huge saving if starting from scratch, or even if you just need a couple of the more expensive expansions.

Wow, look at all those "mixed" reviews at the $15 level. :/

I don't own half the expansions and not sure I care enough to complete the set.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16240 on: July 30, 2019, 07:00:43 pm »

It's not a bad game, exactly. It just isn't as good as it first appears. Paradox is better at making it appear that you have important choices to make than allowing you to do so, possibly because they want to tell a story more than let the player tell theirs. I had some fun with it for a bit, until I caught onto what they were doing. If you're capable of enjoying their games, go for it though.
No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16241 on: July 30, 2019, 07:10:10 pm »

Personally wasn't much a fan of CK2 compared to paradox other historical strategy games.

Victoria 2 got 235 hours so far, and I like it a lot.

EU4 I got 987 hours (99% of that is because of MEIOU mod though) and is my 2nd most played game on steam. Its probably my favorite overall.

Imperator Rome I'm liking a lot despite negative reviews (though I'm on beta patch), and already have 61 hours played and haven't even owned it for 2 weeks

Where as CK2 I only have 86 hours out of and haven't touched it in a long time, nor do I want to or plan to. A lot of people seem to like it, and I DID enjoy my time out of it (till the last 5 hours or so anyway)...but its also the only paradox game I found (for me personally) that runs out of things to do and fast. War is boring and too easy, can't play tall, the RP aspects are better than imperator so it has that going with it (hope they improve that in imperator)...but the thing is...there isn't really much to do except play it as a sims game. Some like that, but not me. By the end of my time with it, I was literally falling asleep as I was playing it lol. Not a good sign for a game.

I think EU4/Vic 2 and hopefully imperator improves more, but I think those 3 are a ton better.

Plus its rare to play a strategy game where you can literally play tall and not forced into expanding into a huge empire and conquering 24/7. EU4/Vic 2 allows you to play relatively peaceful, which again is super rare in a strategy game and my favorite things about them.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16242 on: July 30, 2019, 08:53:50 pm »

I loved CKII as well for the time I played it, but once I conquered enough territory to be crowned emperor I lost interest. There was still more I could do (such as starting a new play through as a different nation and culture), but by that point in my life my priorities shifted. There is simply too much waiting in the game for me to justify putting my limited time into it. A lot of the gameplay boils down to wait for chancellor to fabricate that claim, or wait for your assassination plot to finally kill that bastard.

The fun comes from figuring out the gameís systems and using that knowledge to plan out the best assasination/marriage schemes possible so you can take land and grow your realm. The game truly makes you feel like a Machiavellian bastard and I would recommend it for that experience alone! You will turn into a sociopath, and as a result you will better understand why the sociopaths that run this world make the decisions they do.

The gameís strategy is surprisingly engaging as well. Wrenches will reliably be thrown into your plans and you will be scrambling to come up with new ones to deal with the complications. Maybe you forgot a small detail about the complicated succession law. Maybe your assassination attempt failed and you were revealed as the mastermind, maybe you develop a sickness or get assassinated yourself. The point Iím trying to make is that the game is constantly keeping you on your toes.

In my opinion, this and the role-playing options are the best parts of the game. War is deeper than it initially seems, but it ainít no Starcraft. The biggest potential turnoff is probably what Trolldefender99 said: you canít build tall. And by that, he means that you canít do much with the land once you conquer it. You can definitely build stuff on it, but itís vastly less deep and satisfying as developing land in something like say Civilization or Endless legend. You also canít do much in the way of ruling land either. The laws you can pass as king can be divided in essentially 2 categories ďAbility to conquer land vs ability to maintain landĒ or ďWhat specific resources do you want to extract from your land?Ē. I am oversimplifying, but the point is that you canít roleplay as good King Arthur. You canít institute welfare or increase your populationís literacy. Those thing are outside the scope of the game. The game is fundamentally about conquest via sword, dagger, or pen and if that doesnít appeal to you then you shouldnít buy it.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 06:49:22 am by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16243 on: July 30, 2019, 09:25:22 pm »

The game is fundamentally about conquest via sword, dagger, or pen and if that doesnít appeal to you then you shouldnít buy it.
That said, $1 gets you the base game and pretty much all the "necessary" DLCs (Old Gods, Republic, Sunset Invasion, Legacy of Rome, and Sword of Islam) - I'd say that's a deal if you're at least even somewhat interested in the game.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16244 on: July 30, 2019, 09:52:48 pm »

all the "necessary" DLCs
Where the hell is Reaper's Due and Way of Life in that list?

EDIT: Okay, I checked it out now. It's in the higher tiers
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 09:54:40 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.
Pages: 1 ... 1081 1082 [1083] 1084 1085 ... 1103