Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Utility that we REALLY need  (Read 732 times)

John Hopoate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Utility that we REALLY need
« on: May 20, 2007, 06:56:00 am »

There's some awesome stuff here, the LabourDF tool in particular. However what would really be fantastic is a utility to close open floodgates or to link them to triggers without the intervention  of a Dwarf. The ability to un-permaflood an area could save many a fortress.
http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Utilities#Movies.2C_Screenshots.2C_Map_Files

Can anyone else think of some good ideas?

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
Re: The Utility that we REALLY need
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 08:02:00 am »

This would only be useful until the next version. If you permaflood yourself then it would be a)awesome, and b)quite a feat.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 10:59:00 pm »

also only usefull until the next version, but "spawn anti-flood" would be pretty effing keen.

(might take seprate commands for lava and water)

John Hopoate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 12:46:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Mayday:
<STRONG>This would only be useful until the next version. If you permaflood yourself then it would be a)awesome, and b)quite a feat.</STRONG>

quote:
Originally posted by puke:
<STRONG>also only usefull until the next version, but "spawn anti-flood" would be pretty effing keen.

(might take seprate commands for lava and water)</STRONG>

Explain please

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 02:10:00 am »

In the next version the whole fluid system will be changed.

Now you have a flood tile which spreads and creates water, followed by an anti-flood tile which destroys the water. The permaflood is a quirk / bug of that system

Markavian

• Bay Watcher
  • DF Map Archive Admin
    • View Profile
    • DF Map Archive
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 08:32:00 pm »

Or... you could build your own -anti flood- generating device to remove the permaflood from your fortress without using any hacks!
http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Permaflood#Magma_overpowering_Water

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 01:19:00 pm »

Well IVAN has a program that will translate the game to 3-d that would be cool graphical front ends, as it is my game slows terribly if i use graphics so i play with the regular acsii stuff.
quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

Heliopios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2007, 01:37:00 pm »

you can just cut off the flood from your fortress with granite.exe if it's that dire.

nagual678

• Bay Watcher
  • Noble Sam says: I want YOU for the Fortress Guard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2007, 05:21:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by berent:
<STRONG>Well IVAN has a program that will translate the game to 3-d that would be cool graphical front ends, as it is my game slows terribly if i use graphics so i play with the regular acsii stuff.</STRONG>

what ?

link please

couldn't find it on the wiki

EDIT : i just realised IVAN is another roguelike, and not the author of a DF plugin that rendered the fortress in 3D.

basically ignore this post

[ May 26, 2007: Message edited by: nagual678 ]

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2007, 01:13:00 pm »

There is a utility that could come to a lot of use, but I've not the slightest idea where to find the information I need via memory hacking. I'm pretty new to it.

Anyway, how about a utility to heal wounds? Mangled wounds rarely heal, and while I don't feel a huge need to cheat, it'd be nice to have for various purposes.

DF doesn't use "HP" or anything so finding the values is pretty tough, I imagine... finding simple numbers is usually, well, simple.

Zhentar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2007, 01:29:00 pm »

Rick's memory hacking page claims to have to offset for the body structure pointer. I tried following it but just came to another one of the integer-pointer-pointer-pointer structures that I don't understand, so I dropped it. I'm not that interested in it, but I'd like to allow dwarves that pass out from pain the chance to heal without altering their toughness , and just understand how healing works better.