Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 'Display case' attempt  (Read 6339 times)

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
'Display case' attempt
« on: March 16, 2011, 04:02:26 pm »

In a previous post by someone else, they mentioned that there is a way to get a reaction to use any item at all.  That gave me an idea... So I started trying to mod in a 'display case', which would require a window, wood, ect.  The idea was to be able to put items in a room and have them stay there permanently, as well as adding to the value of the room, both from the display case and the items 'inside' (really part of the building).  I tried making it a 'furnace' so that the value could be increased further, since it would have grades of quality.  And it almost works fine (had colors a bit muddled for a bit, working that out), except for the following: it does not register as existing in the room.  No matter what I put inside, and what I build it out of, it's value does not seem to register as part of the room, leaving me with lots of gold and riches and artifacts in the form of a giant case in the center of 'meager quarters'.

Is it possible to cause the building to register as being in the room, or should I just give up now and just consider it a way to safely store artifacts and nothing more?

Here's my attempt
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 'Display case' attempt
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 04:09:21 pm »

Genesis mod has had it for awhile.

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 04:11:43 pm »

Oh ^.^  Thanks!

rynait

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 04:14:30 pm »

Hello,

yup the most current mod is in Deon's genesis.   Deon borrowed and updated that mod (with credit due).  Here is two original forum links.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=03612ca9479d1a3e763d197643675e0e&topic=76137.msg1926756#msg1926756

and the original...

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=03612ca9479d1a3e763d197643675e0e&topic=57243.msg1249306#msg1249306

Rynait

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 04:35:15 pm »

It seems, after looking at it, that I had reinvented the wheel...

rynait

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 04:45:51 pm »

Hello P,

reinvent, i see you wanted to experiment with colored glass.  thought that was the plan, colored glass display cases. 

Urist complains that sword is soooo bright! reading placard; "magical light sword artifact".  Urist Pickerel get a lightbulub: polarized glass...

Rynait

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 04:48:21 pm »

Actually, that still leaves me with another question.  Does the way they did it in the Genesis mod register as an item in the room, or in any way add it's value to that of the room?  That is my main concern...

rynait

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 04:57:00 pm »

Hello,

last craft I did would be on my old computer which contains older than .18 version... and don't have the files anyway.  Can not answer that question off my head.

Rynait

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 05:27:18 pm »

I want this.  I went and copied the code from the original original post, and also inserted [PERMITTED_BUILDING:DISPLAY_CASE] into the entity file.  I shouldn't need to regen a world in order for this to work, yeah?  Because right now, it's not letting me build it.  Did I miss something in the raws?

Here's what I've got (I copied it outta the latest Genesis mod):

Code: [Select]
[BUILDING_WORKSHOP:DISPLAY_CASE]
[NAME:Display Case]
[NAME_COLOR:7:0:1]
[DIM:1:1]
[WORK_LOCATION:1:1]
[BUILD_LABOR:MASON]
[BUILD_KEY:CUSTOM_Q]
[BLOCK:1:0]
[TILE:0:1:'#']
[COLOR:0:1:0:7:0]
[TILE:1:1:'#']
[COLOR:1:1:0:7:0]
[TILE:2:1:'#']
[COLOR:2:1:0:7:0]
[TILE:3:1:147]
[COLOR:3:1:7:0:0]
[BUILD_ITEM:1:BLOCKS:NONE:NONE:NONE][CAN_USE_ARTIFACT]
[BUILD_ITEM:1:BOX:NONE:GLASS_CLEAR:NONE][CAN_USE_ARTIFACT]
[BUILD_ITEM:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE][CAN_USE_ARTIFACT]
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 05:34:52 pm »

I shouldn't need to regen a world...?
Common Question: When do I need to generate a new world?

Addition of new objects (anything in the raws) always always always requires a new world, unless you 'Tinker it in (which does not make it appear in the world naturally, but does allow you to create it)
But given that there's an entity change involved too, I find success that way unlikely.
It also requires that your save is uncompressed.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 05:36:59 pm »

Thanks for answering the stupid noob question!  :P
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

Langdon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 05:16:59 pm »

Actually, that still leaves me with another question.  Does the way they did it in the Genesis mod register as an item in the room, or in any way add it's value to that of the room?  That is my main concern...

I'm using the original Display Case mod, and yes, I use it regularly to boost my duke's rooms to Royal level, at least if it contains an artifact.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 12:03:31 am »

Changed mine to use any type of glass, and display its color correctelly. The later was only a possible since a fairly recent update, so the original mod doesnt have it.

Spoiler: Anyways, code: (click to show/hide)
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 07:33:14 am »

Changed mine to use any type of glass
I required clear glass in the original because of the artifact-in-a-room bonus. Green glass seems a bit cheap for that level of benefit.
and display its color correctly. The later was only a possible since a fairly recent update, so the original mod doesnt have it.
Yeah, that always annoyed me, but there wasn't much I could do about it back then.

Ed: Hmm. I assume "primary material" is the first on the list? So this will be in the colour of the chosen blocks? If you swapped the order, presumably you could have the case in the colour of the displayed item, or of the glass used. So which "should" it be? I could see arguments for any, but I think I like the colour-from-displayed-item best, as that makes what is on display the focal point of the building...
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 07:39:51 am by kaypy »

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 08:03:52 pm »

Actually, I have a similar question to the above about which material is referred to by 'mat'.  In my trials, no matter what I do and how I switch them around, I always get either A. complete blackness (imagine the color 0,0,0), despite that it should be some other color, or the ability to be whatever square was last in that place on the screen (so if I pan left and there was a grass tile in that position, it stays a glass tile, even if over water or air.  If a dwarf is X tiles to the right and I pan right X tiles, the tile looks like the dwarf.)
Pages: [1] 2